Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Limited

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Scooter1 
#1 ·
I was riding my bike yesterday when out of no where I lost power. It came back up within a few seconds. I continued to ride. The next 3 times I lost power I had to restart the bike. After the 3rd time it would not restart. I noticed that the fuel pump was not on. I spent 4 plus hours this morning diagnosing the fuel pump. I have all 3 factory repair manuals and was using them to try to diagnose the problem. I did not have any luck. I know all of the fuses and relays in the fuse/relay box are good. If I remember correctly there are supposed to be others located else where on the bike but I cannot recall where I read that or where they are located on the bike. I did bypass the factory wiring to the fuel pump and it does make a sound as if it is working and does pump some fuel but not sure as to whether or not it is at the required pressure as I do not have a fuel pressure tester. After running the pump several times for short bursts (approx. 20 sec. each time) and the bike not starting I pulled the plugs to blow the fuel out of the cylinders and the plugs and cylinders were bone dry. I dissconnected the fuel out line from pump and I know it is pumping fuel, again not sure as to what the pressure was. I checked for spark while I had the plugs and and it appeared to have an irregular spark. At this point I just got to frustrated with everything and had to walk away. If there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem and found out what it was or think they might be able to help I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully our resident spark technologist will have an answer for you, I'm electrically challenged. Calling trike lady!;)

#4 · (Edited)
I checked the service manual schematic.
You may want to check the following: The Crankshaft Angle Sensor and the two Camshaft Angle Sensors. One of them may have gone bad. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. The ecm controls the fuel pump.
Were their any lights lit on the ecm with a code?

#5 · (Edited)
This is in response to Trike Lady. No lights! The "W" would try to light sometimes, sometimes it would come on, and sometimes nothing at all. Spoke to neoracer in Maryland and he had me check the connections at C 80 and C30. Both appear to check ok. Does the travel computer have to be plugged in for any of the lights on the ECU to light or to have power to anything else but the travel computer itself? Just out of curiousity where is Ormond Beach? I live about an hour east of Pensacola, Fl. on I 10. Am really trying to find someone who knows these bikes that can come by and help me diagnose this thing. The more I get into it, the more overwhelmed I get. Spent over 4 hours trying to run down the problem yesterday and over 8 hours today and I am no closer than I was when it quit running. As a matter fact I feel like it is getting worse as now the radio won't even work. It powers on and shows the radio station but nothing comes out of the speakers. Ugh!!!!!!! I sold my only means of transportation to buy this bike and I really cannot afford for it be down for to long. Why would I sell my only means of transportation you ask? I had been wanting another bike for many years and this was the only way I was going to get one. Why this bike? I wanted a cruiser/touring type of bike. I am too old for those back killing crotch rockets. Would have been nice in my younger days when I was drag racing but not now. And it was my dads' dream to own this particular bike. Unfortunately he was too short to be able to touch the ground and to hold one up and he passed away in 2007 the day before my birthday. I wanted this particular bike for him. When I ride I can feel him with me. I really need to get this bike going. So if you can help in any way I would tremendously appreciate it!!!! Thank you so very much for replying so quickly!

#6 ·
I am not in the the same room as Trike Lady when it come to electrical but one of the first problem I had with my 1200 was the fuse next to the battery. The wiring there was all a mess. I cleaned it up and put a car 30 amp fuse in. Eric

#7 ·
The dog bone shaped fuse you should be able to find at NAPA.
Now this question may sound pointless but there's a reason for it. Did you purchase the bike from someone who lives closer to the coast or inland? Here's why, I lived originally in Pasco County Florida away from salt water, I moved to Ormond Beach above Daytona Beach and now my trike is faced with rust and corrosion on electrical connectors and ground points. Connections and grounds check and clean them, make sure they're tight, protect them with dielectric grease. Complete the path with the travel computer to the ecm.

#8 ·
I wish I could have come to your area and helped you offering long distance technical advice is not easy and to make you 'Chase' the system isn't easy, because I was going to also ask if you were getting a feed from the red/yellow from the starter solenoid to the computer.
I hope they find the problem.

#9 ·
I was riding my bike yesterday when out of no where I lost power. It came back up within a few seconds. I continued to ride. The next 3 times I lost power I had to restart the bike. After the 3rd time it would not restart. I noticed that the fuel pump was not on. After running the pump several times for short bursts (approx. 20 sec. each time) and the bike not starting I pulled the plugs to blow the fuel out of the cylinders and the plugs and cylinders were bone dry. I dissconnected the fuel out line from pump and I know it is pumping fuel, again not sure as to what the pressure was.
If I can inject a thought here. Have you checked to see if there is some sort of "fuel filter" in the line between the pump and carbs? If there was and it was stopped up with rust, gunk, no fuel would be delivered to the carbs. If the pump is pumping gas and the cylinders are dry, it leads me to believe that there is a blockage in the fuel line. If the line was blocked up, the fuel pump would stop pumping because of the pressure and appear dead. Just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
eacorbett, firstly welcome good friend from Texas. Expect the best; self fulfilled prophecy. I use it to accomplish everything, even when I'm economically challenged. Everything always has a way of working out for those that believe. Good luck or should I say; may good expectations follow you.

#12 ·
" The dog bone shaped fuse you should be able to find at NAPA. "
if he replaces the dog bone fuse with an ato style it will be much easier to find replacements. the dog bone fuse had been replaced by the po but i carry an ato style fuse holder with a fuse in my trunk

This post has been deleted
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.