Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timing Belt Replacement GL1500

17K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Tatanka 
#1 ·
Well, I was finally able to pick up my new-to-me Goldwing this past Saturday. I started off with the first thing recommended by many and changed the timing belts.

I followed the recomended and provided instructions to the letter. I still feel however that the tension is not right. At idle speed the bike sounds perfect.

However, at just below 2,000 rpm's I hear what I believe is belt wine. I also hear a squeal that resembles a cricket. I only hear these sounds at that rpm. slightly higher it goes away, as well as slightly lower.

I am going to try and attach a video which is fair in terms of audio quality. The last few seconds of the video is where you can best hear the squeal or "cricket" sound I am refering to.

I have been told that I am hearing things, and I may be. I just want to make sure I have the belts right.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
http://youtu.be/IpmIYUdV340

#2 ·
JC,

When you were in there, did you just replace the belts or also check/clean/lube the tensioning bearings and springs? Did you, in fact, close up what is now a very scared cricket in there?:D

You're probably right; belt tension may need adjustment, but I'd ride it a bit before pulling out the wrenches. After all, they're belts so they can sometimes stretch to where they want to be without your effort. If the sound is still there in 500 miles, it's bothering. If it's there in 1,000 miles, it's concerning. I'd give it 500 miles before "suiting up."

#3 ·
Like Tatanka says I'd just pay attention to it for a while. I'm not the wrench wizard that some are but I can't pick anything out from the clip.

#5 ·
Good job on the Timing belt job.i am sorry you having problems after the repair.
I have a few questions, did you check the tensioner pully? This is done by checking for play in the bearing and by spinning it and listening for noise. I have no problem spending other people's money when it comes to items like this. Anytime you are working on a car,truck or a motorcycle if you take something apart like this it is well spent money to simply replace things like the tensioner,oil seals etc while your in there.

If this was my bike I would go with my gut and take back apart and atleast inspect your work and the bearing. I think the old belt was stretched allowing for a possibly worn bearing to go unnoticed until the belt is at its proper tension. If you do not have a mechanics stehascope you could use a long screw driver and hold it up to you ear cupping your ear and the handle of the screwdriver while you spin the pully and touch the bolt in the center of the pully The non rotating part .you may hear grinding of the worn bearing. Remember it's your bike you know the noise the bike made before and after the job if it doesn't sound right it probably needs some more loving.

#6 ·
Take the covers back off and check that they're not too tight.

#8 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, and leave the covers off to start the bike and check your work and its operation, including noises. On the 1200 I have, you have to pull the radiator to perform this procedure, but you can run any bike that is cool to start with for a minute or two and not damage anything. Don't rev it, of course. You'll be "cricket-free" in no time!

#9 · (Edited)
Timing belts Re-checked

Opened it back up today and was simply not comfortable with the tension of those belts. I was smart enough this time to leave the radiator hoses attached so I could run the bike as long as I wanted.

I originally set the tension as suggested with 4.4 pounds of pull and 5-7mm of play. I skipped that today and went with my gut.

It is my understanding that timing belts do not stretch. I am sure this is argument for both sides. With both belts being brand new (Napa belts) they were plenty tight putting them on with both tensioners bottomed out.

I adjusted by feel today and what looked to be the best adjustment. I was very pleased with the results this time. Did not sound like a bucket of crickets were left inside. No belt whine. I plan to keep an eye on it and do as some of you suggested and give it a few hundred miles.

I am new to these bikes so I am trying to get use to the sound(s) and filter what is normal and not. Someone commented that I knew what it sounded like prior.....I did not run it much prior. I wanted to get those belts changed first.

I also opted out on replacing the tensioners they appeared fine and will give them a couple of years unless they start screaming. They are not cheap!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your advise. It is nice to have people throw ideas and solutions at you.

Criticism is welcome......thoughts?

#10 · (Edited)
Criticism? Hell, son, you're a champ for stickin' with it! Congratulations for getting rid of your "bucket of crickets"! Now, simply ENJOY! :D
Clever move leaving the radiator hoses connected to the radiator! I'm not that cleaver, being a simple bison!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.