Heated Grips plug in question [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: Heated Grips plug in question

yellovette
11-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking of ordering Show Chrome heated grips kit for my 08' without OEM heated grips. Does anyone know if there would be a plug for the OEM heated grips on models w/o the comfort package?

Thanks
YV

Chopin
11-18-2011, 07:14 PM
That's a good question. Let's investigate. I posed the question to some gurus. We wait for a response.

detdrbuzzard
11-18-2011, 07:18 PM
i thought about heated grips for the 1500 wing but got electric gloves insted cause i can use the gloves on almost any bike

yellovette
11-18-2011, 07:21 PM
That's a good question. Let's investigate.

I read in a product review that someone posted, that after 06' Honda stopped putting in the plug if you didn't have the heat option.

Chopin
11-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I read in a product review that someone posted, that after 06' Honda stopped putting in the plug if you didn't have the heat option.

I'll wait for confirmation on that.

Chopin
11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
First response so far : " Nope, the only plug you have is under the left fairing pocket. Only the 01-05 bikes have the power plug on the right side. I believe EC has a pigtail harness that you can plug into the left side and bring the power to the right side where the kit will want it to be ".

Chopin
11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Second response, same rider :" If you don't have a CB, you could do a little modifying and use it's power plug, it's just laying around with power on it from the same accessory relay. "

joe in calif
11-18-2011, 09:41 PM
The wire harness is different on the comfort package than the base model. But putting heated grips on is no big deal, Just wire them to a relay then power the relay by the accessory terminal on the fuse box. The ones for the Gold Wing with the comfort package will not work on the base model.

Wing Down Under
11-18-2011, 10:58 PM
I have a 2009 model fully optioned because we only have 2 options in OZ, Basic or Fully optioned . I had to take my bike back after 3 months because one of the hand grips weren't working. It took the dealer 2 days to replace and when i saw what was involved I cringed. vertually all the front and dash was removed because one side of the plug was situated in the middle of the bike. Haven said that if your 2008 model is not equipped with heated handles then what Joe in Calif said is good to go and much easier to do.

Chopin
11-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Andy posts this :" I powered my aftermarket heated grip through a relay that was fused and got its power straight from the battery and the switching current to the relay I got from the Aux post on the oem fuse block in order that the heated grip would never be ON unless the ignition was turned on. All of my many aftermarket farkles are fused and relayed in this manner, only exception being the GPS, which I have to remember to turn off, but since its right in front of my line of sight, I have never fogotten it.
ORileys has the most convenient to use relay I have found so far. mine is an Optronics 40 amp four conductor relay, although the last one I bought from Orileys was not an Optronics brand, but functioned in the exact same manner ".
Andy

yellovette
11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks fellas for the informative replies. Save me looking for a buried plug which doesn't exist. I'll be doing the project after Christmas. I just wonder what the need for the relay is, as opposed to wiring direct to the battery from the rheostat? All the supply power goes through it anyways.

BTW I provided my wife with a link to my Wingstuff wishlist, and I've listed $1200 worth of accessories, (which include the heated grips).

She's made the rest of the family aware of the contents of my wishlist so I expect there'll be some shiny stuff under the tree.

Cheers!

YV

Chopin
11-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks fellas for the informative replies. Save me looking for a buried plug which doesn't exist. I'll be doing the project after Christmas. I just wonder what the need for the relay is, as opposed to wiring direct to the battery from the rheostat? All the supply power goes through it anyways.

YV

My big ignorant guess in running it through a relay is that the power is only supplied to the end use gadget when the bike is on, thereby eliminating the possibility of leaving it cooking overnight.

budoka
11-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Actually YV, the relay makes it a 'switched' item, requiring the ignition to be turned on. Not a big deal without it if you don't mind replacing batteries often if you're the forgetful type:rolleyes:

LarryinSeattle
11-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a 2009 model fully optioned because we only have 2 options in OZ, Basic or Fully optioned . I had to take my bike back after 3 months because one of the hand grips weren't working. It took the dealer 2 days to replace and when i saw what was involved I cringed. vertually all the front and dash was removed because one side of the plug was situated in the middle of the bike. Haven said that if your 2008 model is not equipped with heated handles then what Joe in Calif said is good to go and much easier to do.

I have a friend who rides a Victory factory fitted with electric grips. Nothing but problems for him and the dealership. They can't keep them working. One or the other or both have quit.

If my Gerbing gloves quit working, which never have, I send them in for repair and they get fixed or replaced..... and usually without costs to me. And as the good Dr. said, I can use the gloves on any of my bikes.

yellovette
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Actually YV, the relay makes it a 'switched' item, requiring the ignition to be turned on. Not a big deal without it if you don't mind replacing batteries often if you're the forgetful type:rolleyes:

Subject to being corrected, (because I haven't checked with my volt meter), but I was under the impression that the OEM accessory connection only powered on with the ignition turned on. If not then the relay would make sense.

YV

budoka
11-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeppo, the accessory pigtails are switched. I may have gotten muxed ip with the posts, I thought you didn't have the r/h acc plug on your bike. If you run from the l/h lead, you're all good. If you run a line from the acc post on the fuse box, I'm pretty sure it would require the relay to be switched, but I've been wrong before;)