2006 goldwing seat and grip heater [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: 2006 goldwing seat and grip heater

wing trike
09-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a 2006 Goldwing Trike, The seat, passenger,and driver, and the handlebar grip, no longer heats, I have checked fuses and wireing, all ok, I have heard it maybe computer trouble. Thanks

trike lady
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the connector pins and sockets? They may be loose in the plastic housing. The control switch, is power entering it? Check the heater relay in the green relay block.

wing trike
09-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your input, I had a Honda service shop check for any trouble they could find, Check all wireing when they put in a new air cleaner filter, could not find any trouble, said they think it could be the computer, I can not see how the computer would have any effect on that kind of trouble, They also said that outside temp must be below 60 degrees for any heating, Did not see that in manual myself. Think they are NOT up to that job, I guess I will need to check it myself when winter makes it a bad ride season, may take some time when I really need it. THANKS AGAIN

Bill Reber
09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Sounds like you might need to find a new shop ( below 60 ? )

trike lady
09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Bill, you're right about finding a new shop. Most techs don't have an idea of the various systems on the GL1800 and how they work. Also most techs dislike electrical and electronic stuff. I think the service manual frightens them, its massive and heavy.
The heater also has its own controller and it has an 18P connector behind the left saddlebag. No where in the service manual does it say that the system works only @ below 60 degrees, if that were the case, how could it be tested?

tfdeputydawg
09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
If by "computer" they mean the ECM, I was not aware that has any connection(no pun intended) to the Comfort System.
The 2006 Service Manual has step by step trouble shooting directions with pictures in it.
Telling you that you will not feel heat above 60F pertains to the seats & passenger back rest and is a correct statement.
This may sound crazy but, remove the seat and remove the passenger backrest and make sure they are both connected to the harness. They can unplug!
Most of the failures are one of the grip heaters. Everything must be working or nothing works. No seat heat without grip heat and vice-versa.
Once you have confirmed everything is properly connected, trouble shooting the grips is the best place to start.
You need a service manual and a few "tools" to do this.
Unless you have a Honda dealer within reasonable distance from you that really markets Wings and accessories for them, I doubt you will find a tech that knows anything about the comfort system.
When mine failed, I even had one service manager tell me the passenger backrest did not have heat in it!!!!!!
Good luck.
The heated grips work great! The heated seat was a total waste of money. Not much heat in cool weather and none can be felt in cold weather until one does a mod to the seat wiring(but that will definately void the warranty)
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196872&highlight=heated+seat+modification

trike lady
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
On page 2-2 of the Honda Factory Service Manual for the 2006-2009 GL1800 it makes no mention of a temperature of below 60 degrees to function. In the simple block diagram on the page if any component will fail it will be the heater relay, next the ground connection not good and possibly the heater control unit going bad. In the block diagram it shows the ECM plays a minor roll with the system, I doubt the ECM going bad.
On pages 21-76 to 21-83 you'll find the test procedures. Before saying the ECM is to blame look for an open in the 'Pink' wire from the 18 pin heater connector to the connector 33p black that connects the ECM to the main harness.

tfdeputydawg
09-28-2011, 11:25 PM
It may very well function above 60F but, you won't feel any heat in the seat, especially if the bike has been sitting in the sun.
The seat is already hotter than the heaters get it, is what I meant!
At least my 06 is that way.
Riding in the 40's/50's I can feel some heat-never gets hot enough to turn the control down from the max setting of 6 on the dial. In the 30's and below, I wear an insulated riding suit and can feel no heat from the seat at all.
Grips work great but, as stated, all sections (grips-seat-passenger backrest) must function or none of them will work.

DreamWeaver
09-28-2011, 11:32 PM
It may very well function above 60F but, you won't feel any heat in the seat, especially if the bike has been sitting in the sun.
The seat is already hotter than the heaters get it, is what I meant!
At least my 06 is that way.
Riding in the 40's/50's I can feel some heat-never gets hot enough to turn the control down from the max setting of 6 on the dial. In the 30's and below, I wear an insulated riding suit and can feel no heat from the seat at all.
Grips work great but, as stated, all sections (grips-seat-passenger backrest) must function or none of them will work.Seat heat not good enough? Wow, amazing, I rode my 07 in 15 degree temps in Colorado and never had the dial over 3. Any higher and I would have needed some Monkey Butt Powder...Passenger ran hers on 2. Same with the grips. No mods here either. This puppy is stock as a stove.

tfdeputydawg
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Seat heat not good enough? Wow, amazing, I rode my 07 in 15 degree temps in Colorado and never had the dial over 3. Any higher and I would have needed some Monkey Butt Powder...Passenger ran hers on 2. Same with the grips. No mods here either. This puppy is stock as a stove.

You have a rare one according to discussions that have been ongoing for sometime on another forum:eek:
Good for you!

DreamWeaver
09-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, its the truth I swear. When I first got up there in cold weather I cranked mine up to max and a few minutes later I was squirming like a worm crossing a hot Texas road. I was amazed at how hot it got. In fact I thought something must be wrong. Ain't had no use for the heaters lately but sooner or later I'm gonna need 'em again and I hope they work like before. Ignorance is bliss cause I didn't know anybody was having problems in that area.:D

wing trike
09-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for info, gives me ideas on what to look for on this trouble

budoka
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
The seat does have an ambient temperature cut-off and it is 18-21*c (65-72*f); the grip heaters do not and will turn on at any air temp. There is a Honda released bulletin on this but I can't (or at least shouldn't) post it here as it's copyrighted material. I also believe that the seat heater is also pressure dependant (like many autos) so required someone sitting on the seat to allow the heat to pass through to the rider's bottom. Like trike lady mentioned, I'd suspect a loose connection is the culprit. She's also right in that most techs detest electrical issues as they can be very frustrating and/or intimidating not mention time consuming to chase. Don't know what to suggest to you tfdeputydawg, since you seem to be getting 'some' heat, just not all there is supposed to be. The control switches are basically rheostats so maybe the contacts are pooched? Anyhoo, hope you both end up with warmer hands and tushes.

trike lady
09-29-2011, 03:14 PM
They freak out in school over electrical and in the dealerships, really its not that bad.
Electricity goes where its sent and sometimes it may take a detour and blow a fuse or may not get there at all.
When I graduated my first Specialty at Wyotech and received a tool voucher for $600.00 I invested in the latest electrical testing equipment to make sure that all those electrons are heading home.
With the way motorcycle are becoming more and more sophisticated electrically, it may be time for shops to start looking for individuals who can handle these issues.
I've completed not too long ago Suzuki Bronze Certification, have completed the Silver Competency and working my way through Gold and the tests I always 'Ace' are electrical.
In electrical all those electrons that leave the battery they want to return home.
Connections, fuses, relays, switches, loose grounds and pinched wires can cause problems. Always follow the trouble shooting procedure in the service manual in the order given. Even if a pin or socket in the plastic housing looks like its in place, sometimes they can back out and make intermittent contact, gently push each one in and make sure they are fully seated.

Ralphumor
10-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Please confirm. The passengers back rest is heated? I was under the impression it was not. Thank you:D

Chopin
10-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Please confirm. The passengers back rest is heated? I was under the impression it was not. Thank you:D

Hmmm. You have me wondering ( I'm not allowed to sit back there ). I'm riding solo today ,but if the temps stay below the ambient threshold of operation, I'll turn it on this morning and cop a feel.

tfdeputydawg
10-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Yes, the passenger backrest is heated.

Hmmm. You have me wondering ( I'm not allowed to sit back there ). I'm riding solo today ,but if the temps stay below the ambient threshold of operation, I'll turn it on this morning and cop a feel.
You will not "feel" any heat, unless someone is sitting on the seat, leaning back on the backrest.