Disappointing day For Goldwing [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: Disappointing day For Goldwing

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
When I posted my last comments some time ago, so many of you were against me waiting for the new Goldwing. Some of you supported my wishes. Well Im here to say I feel totally stupid now. Based on the new release from honda, all I can say is that I'm extremely disappointed. I'm so upset to the point if someone gave me a contact, I would write them a letter expressing my disappointment. I can't believe honda would delay a release for the best luxury machine on two wheels with minimal changes. Back in May the released blog mentioned it would be a technology showcase. However this new version doesn't even have bluetooth. What were they thinking?
This basically leaves me in the same boat I was in. Which knowing me, I will go yet another summer without riding any machine. After my accident in 2009, I've been waiting for this new model and yet still my wait continues. And to make this wait even more agonizing, I have to deal with the temptation I'm getting from BMW release. Its no goldwing, but atleast they made major improvements. They included bluetooth, they increase the engine size, and they already have electronic kick stands.
I'm trying my best to remain loyal but this day has really been hard on me!!!
And finally, yes still Im stubbornly waiting. Can't justify getting an old machine, which the 2012 is too. Even if it means not ridding another year.
Yep, I know. I'm shooting myself in the foot.

Please someone give me a contact at honda so that I can vent!!!

budoka
02-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Well I hate to say I told you so but.... The new Wing is amost exactly what the Honda boys told us it would be, subtle refinements and styling cues and that's about it. At least the pricing isn't off the charts.

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Any predictions for the 2013?

budoka
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I just spoke with my DSM about the 1012, I knew more than he did from here and a couple other sites. I wouldn't bank on anything really ground breaking for a couple years yet.

fossil92
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Lemaj, You are only driving yourself crazy. The rest of us are riding. You know in todays technological era the minute you buy something it is almost automatically out of date.

My advice buy a late model 1500 or mid year 1800, you can get them relatively cheap & get riding. I think that is what I said originally. Again you are the only one in dispair. Be guided accordingly.

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
You are absolutely right fossil92. Actually I'm beyond crazy after Monday's news.
Someone please send me a honda rep contact information. I need to let off some steam.
For real!!

budoka
02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
You could go to Honda.com and check out their faq on the powersports section or call the m/c customer service 866 784 1870
Not sure if you'll get much response, but you never know. I'd call a dealer and see if they'll give you a District Rep's #. Most DSM's are pretty approachable types. Too bad the news hadn't broken during the show circuit, that would have been the best way to get a response from some of the higher placed Honda people.

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I've already tried to call this morning. Got some strange message asking me to answer yes to a text message that was an agreement to pay 9.99 a month.
I didnt email one of the email addresses though. No response just yet. They probably won't respond.

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 12:31 PM
whoops. I meant to type I did an email this morning.

mmkrnh8012
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Lemaj, it looks like you are a crybaby.

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I knew someone had say something offensive. Preparing for such a thing was something I knew I must do before I even considered to post my thoughts.
I will accept what I would like to call constructive criticism. Even though everyone knows
it wasn't constructive.
I'll even take it to a degree higher if it makes you happy. I'm whining like a How's that?

fxrshog
02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Whinning and not riding is nothing more than cutting your nose off to despite your face.
Besides, who told you there will be a tomorrow??? Better get some road time in while you have a chance. :confused:
My 2 cents.

Lemaj
02-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Excellent advice fxrshog. I truly respect your opinion. Also, looks like you have excellent choice preference in color for goldwings. Your
pic looks very similar to the 06 I had before a terrible driver ran
a stop sign and cut me off. Yep, I'm still wounded mentally from the lost.

Ralphumor
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Your only human and you made a calculated gamble that didnt pay off. Dont punish your self...Go ride! :cool: and do it safely.

Chopin
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Lemaj, You are only driving yourself crazy. The rest of us are riding. You know in todays technological era the minute you buy something it is almost automatically out of date.

My advice buy a late model 1500 or mid year 1800, you can get them relatively cheap & get riding. I think that is what I said originally. Again you are the only one in despair. Be guided accordingly.

Roger Dodger fossil . One can never have the latest and the greatest because it doesn't exist yet and never will in our lifetime. How many miles and friend's I have met on my antiquated '08 Goldwing will never enter the equation of the future. The past is history, the future is a mystery, the moment is the gift; and that's why we call it the " present ".

Stratman
02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Well said Chop. As we get older, the words become a little more meaningful.
Strat

budoka
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, if I didn't already have a Wing I'd consider the new one, but it would depend on the cost of a 2010 versus new what with rebates involved etc. That plus I'd have to sit on them both and hopefully ride them back to back to compare. With 300,000 miles not out of reach on any Wing, there isn't a lot of dollar per mile difference in them. So Lemaj, you still have a decision to make one way or another.

carp6318
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm actually happy to see what they put out. I just bought my '08 beautiful pearl white wing last November. Had all of 3100 miles and not a nick on it. I debated about waiting to see what the new bike would be, thinking what if I bought a bike that would become totally changed up in a year, but I wanted to ride (I really wanted a white wing too). Now it just makes me that much happier to have made the decision I did. I must say, the bike released was not at all what I expected.

budoka
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm ok with it as is, but you can bet at the next meeting there will be some feedback from the dealerships about the cool reception from riders. Turns out the Blackbird I was so keen on has a heart murmer so that isn't happening either; not my happiest of days, but now I can stay true to my 1800 (she was starting to cry a bit over it anyway) and glad I found out before laying down the cash. Hey Wingstuff, keep the farkle deals coming, I got some farkling to do.

LarryinSeattle
02-22-2011, 10:27 PM
They moved the plant and had to plan for assembly of 2012. Look for changes in the 2013 or 2014 models.

xhdrider
02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Lemaj, afraid you are hurting Lamaj far more than you are hurting Honda, you can't change what they offer, only how you receive it. Looks like you are really beating yourself up, no future in that, roll with what you can't change, go get a good used 1800 or whatever, and get with the beautiful road work to be done! Good Luck.

flashie
02-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Above all else remember to breath.

LarryinSeattle
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
My suggestion: Buy a 5 year old bike and wait until the 2013 or 2014 comes out and then upgrade. The 5 year old bike won't depreciate that much. (To ensure the best resale value, buy a black one.)

Each of us only has so many summers and then its over.

Some real adversity might come along and "bamm.... could of, should uh, would uh...."

groswald
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm a photographer as well as a recent 'wing owner. I see the same incomprehensible behavior on the photography boards too.

It turns out there are two kinds of photographers. There are those, like myself, who derive pleasure from taking pictures. For us, cameras are tools. We buy the best we can afford at the time and then go shooting.

The other half appear to derive their enjoyment from owning the latest and greatest gear. They spend lots of time debating specifications and complaining when their preferred manufacturer is leapfrogged by another, or the latest release doesn't meet their expectations. It's not terribly clear whether these folks ever take pictures of anything other than test patterns.

It appears the same two categories apply here too. Those who like to ride and understand a bike is the means and not the end, and those who are more interested in the bike than in the riding. I find the latter to be nonsensical but to each his own. Personally, I'd recommend the original poster just buy a 'wing and go ride. He'll feel better.

I bought my first - a used '08 - last year and love it. I cannot imagine any possible advancement that would be so wonderful that I would give up one minute of riding to wait for it. But that's just me. If the original poster would rather complain and vent than ride, I s'pose that's his choice. I just hope it makes him happy.

Randy

aimhigh46
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Lemaj, it looks like you are a crybaby.

This kind of comment and, admittedly, my comment...really add nothing to the topic. Why some of you have to add your sarcasm is beyond me...yes, I know, it is a free country...freedom of speech...etc...but really, can't a person ask for some input without this nonsense? There is a "hotbox" for sarcasm and such...how bout use that area and leave the requests for input out of it?

aimhigh46
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Excellent advice fxrshog. I truly respect your opinion. Also, looks like you have excellent choice preference in color for goldwings. Your
pic looks very similar to the 06 I had before a terrible driver ran
a stop sign and cut me off. Yep, I'm still wounded mentally from the lost.

Sounds like you might need to evaluate the REAL reason for not purchasing/riding...are you sure the accident you endured isn't keeping you from riding again? Not passing judgement...anyone would be haunted by such past experiences...but it may be time to either confront the real reason(s). BTW, yes, I am NOT a doctor...just my observation/opinion.

budoka
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Well said aimhigh46. There's is such a thing as good taste in both queeries and responses. Groswald, it sounds like some of your photographer buddies are a bit like the "Nancy Boy" riders that hang out at Tim Horton's with their latest bling machines. Drive from home, park, "lookit what I got", and ride home again. Posers should be the subjects in a photograph, not the shooter. Doubt that there will be many 'posers' riding the new Wings if they buy one, my rep tells me they wil be scarce.

LarryinSeattle
02-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Well said aimhigh46. There's is such a thing as good taste in both queeries and responses. Groswald, it sounds like some of your photographer buddies are a bit like the "Nancy Boy" riders that hang out at Tim Horton's with their latest bling machines. Drive from home, park, "lookit what I got", and ride home again. Posers should be the subjects in a photograph, not the shooter. Doubt that there will be many 'posers' riding the new Wings if they buy one, my rep tells me they wil be scarce.

Never love something that can't love you back.

xhdrider
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Man! Some excellent advice dispenced here. Especially like the comparison between the two types of riders and photographers, I have seen these two approaches to bikes & bike riding unfold for years with different folks, but never really thought about categories for the two. Its dead on. One of my favorite riding groups, Bankers on Bikes, will descend on Colorado Springs in June, better keep the women and children in (Har Har!). Larry in Seattle, great observation, henceforth I will just like my wing.

Lemaj
02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Where do I begin?
I guess above all the fun I had riding my goldwing, what was most intriguing for me was belonging to "what appeared to be" a brotherhood. Bikers stick together in general, but when I would past by a fellow goldwinger, there was this special feeling I received when we would signal hello to one another. Doesn't get much better in my opinion. That above all made me feel like I was apart of something big.
Initially I wasn't to big on participating in forums, but after my accident I did need some support, so I figured the best place would be to seek support from fellow riders. Yes I was shaken a bit, but never did I consider never riding again. Even after the knee surgery. I was blessed with people around me who understood my passion for riding. My wife supports me even though I know it frightens her. My doctors rides so he basically chews me out for not buying another right away. And my children miss seeing the smiles on my face that would appear after each and every ride.
And finally then there's you guys. Ultimately I know you guys mean well and you are trying to look out for me. Even the guy who called me a crybaby. You guys are really hard on a brother. :) But I understand and for the most part you all give good advice.
I just miss my wing! I had it perfect. Spent a lot of extra money trying to emulate some of the features I hoped to be included on the new model. So when it wasn't, it was a big let down. Sorry but I'm a techie too.
And after being beaten up by most of you, I did check prices on the same 2006 model and its hard to spend so much for something when it wont be the same. It will bug me riding it if the wing doesn't offer me the same amenities. Maybe I do ride for all the wrong reasons. But I enjoy bluetooth and the "custom" stereo among other ammenities I added. And if I added those same things again, it would be like I bought a brand new 2006 wing for close to 20k.

What's a descent price to spend on a 2006. Everything I've seen descent cost about 16k. And I don't want the hassle of selling it once I want to upgrade. Especially if Im going to lose a lot more money.

LarryinSeattle
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Couldn't you take your add ons off the other bike and put them on a different bike? Just asking....or did the insurance company sell it to someone else and they are enjoying all of your add ons?

budoka
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Lemaj, I'd check something like Craig's List to be sure what's the going asking price, then compare with the Blue Book figures both clean and average. $16k sounds high to me when an average '08 goes for that up here (we pay more remember?). But like anything, you have to listen to your heart when the right bike calls to you, then decide if your wallet can answer. for a 2006 I'd say more in the $12-$13k range. Someone else one your side of the border can chime in and correct me if I'm way off base, but with new '09s and '10s at $18k (equipment dependant) I doubt it.

Tooth
02-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I am sure many of us, myself included have tried to make something bigger than life, fill a void, and be something perfect to us. You know.....nothing is perfect and things change.
Take a deep breath my friend, you are sending mixed messages out.....the love of a lost bike, an bad accident, and Honda's responsibility to build you a perfect machine. You have great friends here that want the best for you but this sounds bigger than the 2012 GW. Forgive me if I have offended you but you seem to be displacing something here. The perfect motorcycle will never exist.....and if it did you know how quickly it all can change.

Chopin
02-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Where do I begin?

The best place to begin is at the beginning. You have just changed the perspective of your Winged brothers here as advisors. Let's do some Craig's List shopping to see what owners think their bike is worth.

tfdeputydawg
02-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Many are disappointed in the "new" Wing. Mainly(IMHO) caused by those of us whom hyped ourselves up w/rumors of all the BIG chances we just knew would be included in the "all new Wing".
I am convinced Honda delayed the newest model simple to deplete excessive inventories of 2008 to 2010 models, most deeply discounted to move them.
We had subtle hints along the way that no major changes/upgrade were coming but, I for one choose to ignore them.
While I to am disappointed, I realize the 2012 is still one of the finest touringmodels on the market today.
It is what it is.
Either buy a new one or there are still some deals on a 2010(which was still assembled in the USA)out there.
Quit punishing yourself-life is to short-get out there and ride!

fossil92
02-25-2011, 06:04 AM
The best place to begin is at the beginning. You have just changed the perspective of your Winged brothers here as advisors.

Now we know the rest of the story. Good Luck Lemaj with your decision, I for one know that I probably can not help you in that aspect.

aimhigh46
02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
that you aren't looking at the Yamaha Royal Star Venture (my previous bike)...great bike, but it hasn't changed since 1999!!!!!!

Tooth
02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Make a list
define your choices
positives and negatives of all choices
shop, test ride, talk, get opinions, do your homework
Make a decision based on the available info and go with it
fill bike up with gas and take off.....for a long trip
Hate to say,,,,you need to check out the new mother ship from BMW it may satisfy your "needs" for innovation and tech.

Tooth
02-25-2011, 10:44 AM
and of course by all means.....smile my friend LIFE IS SHORT>>>>>ENJOY

LarryinSeattle
02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Or go rent one and just "ride the piss out of it" for a week to get even with Honda.

detdrbuzzard
02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
i've been reading your post but reluctant to respond lemaj. i was hoping honda would do more with the new goldwing too but while waiting for an all new wing i still have two older ones to ride. to me you are missing out on too much riding by waiting, what if an all new wing insn't introduced for a couple more years or more

budoka
02-25-2011, 02:50 PM
The dr is good, the dr is wise. Life's way to short to be spent waiting.

Tooth
02-25-2011, 03:42 PM
The dr is good, the dr is wise. Life's way to short to be spent waiting.

I dont know anything about marriage (divorced after 24 years), raising kids(7 boys), and life,,,,just got my scars like everyone else.....just passing along my crummy experiences....

buy a bike and ride it somewhere.....that has been my answer to most everything.......atleast it makes me smile alot:D

horgie
02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Just got back from the Montreal Motorcycle show, where they had a 2012 on display. Obviously, I too was disappointed, because of what we thought the new model would be. Yes the back end tail lights and side bags look like they borrowed the design from Victory, but everything else remains pretty much the same, with some minor updates. I'm glad I bought my 2008, when the 2009's came out, and now it's probably good for at least another 4 -5 years before they change the design of the current 2012. This could work out really well, as that could be the time I'm looking to change. By the time I'm that age, the Bombardier touring model will be looking real good. In the short time they have been on the market, they have really come along ways.
Each to his own, but enjoy the ride.

Tooth
02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Just got back from the Montreal Motorcycle show, where they had a 2012 on display. Obviously, I too was disappointed, because of what we thought the new model would be. Yes the back end tail lights and side bags look like they borrowed the design from Victory, but everything else remains pretty much the same, with some minor updates. I'm glad I bought my 2008, when the 2009's came out, and now it's probably good for at least another 4 -5 years before they change the design of the current 2012. This could work out really well, as that could be the time I'm looking to change. By the time I'm that age, the Bombardier touring model will be looking real good. In the short time they have been on the market, they have really come along ways.
Each to his own, but enjoy the ride.

Horgie
I see that they are selling a factory built trailer with that touring model (spyders). I see car tires are the way to go in the world of 3. You have any concern over horsepower and general size of engine for those trikes or whatever you want to call them? It certainly looks like a different approach to travel. There is a ton of cash behind this adventure and Bombardier does not seem to do anything half hearted.:cool:

horgie
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Horgie
I see that they are selling a factory built trailer with that touring model (spyders). I see car tires are the way to go in the world of 3. You have any concern over horsepower and general size of engine for those trikes or whatever you want to call them? It certainly looks like a different approach to travel. There is a ton of cash behind this adventure and Bombardier does not seem to do anything half hearted.:cool:

Mark, they had a Spyder top of the line touring model Spyder RT Audio & Convenience , on display at the show, with the matching trailer. Not cheap, but very impressive. Price competitive with Goldwing, same weight as Goldwing, 998cc claims 100 hp, optional automatic transmission. Cornering is exceptional. I love my wing, but this might be an alternative as I get older and require three wheels instead of two.
al

83magnarider
02-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I think one of the color schemes makes it look like the new BMW cruiser..I have a Navi '08...first Wing....best bike on the road. I wish I had the storage the new ones have. My saddle bags and trunk are signifigantly smaller than my neighbors '85 1200 Wing. Still wouldn't trade it for any other model out there.
Ride on, ride long-

Lemaj
10-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Now that summer is over and I survived yet another summer of not riding, I decided to reflect back and see if at all I have any regrets. Part of that process involved me reviewing this post again. Boy do some of the comments raise a few hairs on my back. Especially the last one. Part of me wishes I could show the member that made the last comment a thing or two in person. Okay, okay, too much testosterone.
Anyway, as for my position, yes it has been hard being without my bike, and I know I risk not having one ever again because nothing is promised. Never the less, I have no regrets as of yet. What I desire isn't released. And if things get too bad, I'll get a cheap, used bike of lessor quality. So as of now I choose to wait for my dream bike!

budoka
10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Well Lemaj, even if your still 'abstaining' it's great to hear from you. Your comment about the prior post shows just how controversial a subject bikes and motorcycling really can be. There's alot to like about the 2012 Wing in small ways that can become very endearing over time (years and many miles). There's also (arguably) alot to be hugely disappointed about. There's things about my '09 I'd have different in a heartbeat too, but at the end of the day, it is still a Goldwing and my very favorite motorcycle in a long list of bikes since I was 14. Just as the other two Wings were at that time. Would I cough up the coin for a '12 now, certainly not (barring collision or theft); but if it was new scoot time for me and herself, you wanna believe I'd be looking hard at one. But I'm a Goldwing guy at heart and there's no substituting another model, brand or style to replace it (for me). If the 2012 doesn't sing to you, don't buy one, you'd likely never be happy wishing for more. I have great hopes for the eventual remake of the production line. But I also know that Honda is conservative in their ventures with seriously proven product like the GL and they'll never change being a Japanese Corporation. They'll hold on to giving what they think we need before they give in and give us ALL we WANT. That's likely the biggest reason the GL became what it is now and why they are so reluctant to change it radically. I'll be the first to admit a full scale rework is in order, but we all have to be very careful what we wish for.

santini1953
10-15-2011, 03:01 AM
I dont know anything about marriage (divorced after 24 years), raising kids(7 boys), and life,,,,just got my scars like everyone else.....just passing along my crummy experiences....

buy a bike and ride it somewhere.....that has been my answer to most everything.......atleast it makes me smile alot:D

I experienced the big "D" after 23 years and since then i have talked to many guys who said , if it hadn't been for their bike they don't know what they would have done ! I rode my bike many nights all night long because i couldn't sleep , it was my best friend at the time and was always ready to take me away for a while and get my mind off all my problems ! I haven't ridden that V-star in almost four years , but i will never sell it , even if it sits until it turns to rust , it will always have a home with me and a place in my heart !! I recommend a bike for anything that ails you , just a little time on the road with the wind in your face can make all the difference in the world !! Good luck !

LarryinSeattle
10-15-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't get it. I just bought an 05 Honda Silverwing 600cc scooter with 5,000 miles on it for less than $3,000. Been riding the hell out of it and it is getting more miles than the Wing. The important thing is get in the wind. And get in the wind as quickly as possible.

Some people's kids. Some day you are going to experience some real adversity and then the loss of your perfect motorcycle will mean nothing.

Get a bike. Some of your friends are out there riding instead of answering your phone call.

http://www.animation-station.com/motorcycles/motorcycles/cycle028.gif

Hornhonker
10-30-2011, 12:39 PM
2n post on this forum so I'll try to keep a low profile. I had a 03 GW
that I sold for several reasons. The first being a bad set of shift forks and lots of jumping out of gear. ::( Warranty did not fix it because it was not broken enough... in other words had not totally failed.

I then bought a HD Ultra Limited and put in a 110 engine (1803cc)
and have really enjoyed the "lets modify it" interest on it's respective forums.

I'm again looking closely at a discounted 10 wing with air bag for it's
advanced safety but loath to endure the really never changing
attitude of both corporate Honda and it's enthusiast support forums.
ie: "Its perfect now, why change it ? " Since old man Honda San
passed away it appears the MBAs have taken over and innovation
has very much taken a back seat. (Unlike companies like BMW)

As gold wing owners we have partly ourselves to blame due to our complacent attitude. If we don't demand progress in comfort and performance we won't get it. After market supporters like Dynojet have certainly taken note by NOT supply any support for the GW. :confused:
Would the OP be accused of being a"Cry Baby" bemoaning
the HD or BMW on their reflect forums ? Perhaps but much less likely.

LarryinSeattle
10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lix92wXqKX1qcws07.gif

A picture says a thousand words.