Goldwing idle problem [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: Goldwing idle problem

gboehm123
02-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Im new to this and don't know if I'm posting in the right area if not please help
When I start the bike cold it blows a puff of blue smoke none later I let it warm up turn off the choke and idles at about 800 to 1000rbms and about every 5-10 seconds shoots up to 200rpm then back down
it's a 1988 with 64k on it I just bought it and believe it or not an old lady owned it I only put about 50 miles on it and there is also a hesitation when i accelerate:confused::confused::confused:

LarryinSeattle
02-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Use some Seafoam and put a couple of tanks of gas through it. Ride it 500 miles and see if that doesn't change things.

My 1500 smokes on start up when it has been sitting on the side stand. I heard that is normal. Mine has 32,500 miles on it.

joe in calif
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
1500 Gold Wings will smoke a little on start up if parked on the side stand due to oil seeping past the rings. Run some sea foam or buy some Chevron Techron and run it through, do this a time or two and maybe your idle will settle down, if not you could have a vacuum leak.

gboehm123
02-12-2011, 11:22 AM
O k back to this Blue smoke it's a small cloud always when I fist star of the day I checked oil level was fine (i changed it) common problem? it's not a little puff if in the garage you wouldn't want to stay there it's a about a 2 cubic foot cloud of smoke but Only first start of day.

Ron Robertson
02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
The puff of Blue smoke is normal on the 1500 on the first start up if sitting on the side stand.
As for the rough ideal try the Chevron Techron like mentioned above or some Seafoam.

This past summer on a trip to the east coast the guy riding with us had his start surging at idol in Iowa. Check two different shops both said it was the low speed jets (around $900.00 to fix.) but neither could get it in for weeks. Both said it wouldn't hurt it to ride that way just annoying. When we got back to Washington he made an appointment with Chet's Honda in Quince. They blew the low speed jets out cost just under $300.00. Has been running good ever since. I wasn't there to see it done but that what they claimed they did.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

kenrbass
02-12-2011, 02:46 PM
white smoke = coolant
Black smoke = fuel
blue smoke = oil

Valve guide seals should fix it.

gboehm123
02-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Valve guide seals is that a major project. and if I don't do it soon what are the consiquencises

Ron Robertson
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I really doubt you need to do your Valve guides.
Keep a chack on the oil and I'll bet you won't be able to see any less oil on the dip stick.
I have never seen a 1500 that did not smoke on start up after setting on the side stand over night.
When traveling I alway put the wing on the center stand at night,especially if there are any Harley rider staying in the same Motel, wouldn't want to give them something to talk about.:o

From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

kenrbass
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
It's a few hour job for a good mechanic.

It won't hurt anything except for that puff of smoke on a cold start.

TKM
03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
I think Larry has your answer , sea foam and ride , a lot. I would be more worried about the timing belts on a new to me bike

smiley
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
welcome to the forum. i got a 86 1200 same thing puff of smoke on first start of day, on side stand. not so bad on center stand. happy trails. same thing would do timing belts for new to me bike.