problems with front wheel shimmer/shaking [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: problems with front wheel shimmer/shaking

hammstone
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a 1986 Goldwing that has occasional problems with low speed shimmer/shaking of front tire. Today it was so bad, I actually completely lost control and dumped the bike. Fortunately I was only going about 25mph, and I was not injured. I have taken the bike to a Honda dealer and was told this was common for Goldwings. Has anyone out there experienced this?

fossil92
03-04-2010, 04:56 AM
WHAT!
1st Welcome to the site.
2nd WHAT!

No I have never heard that this is common. Something is definetly up. The 1st thing that comes to mind is change your front tire immediatley while checking steering bearings & of course ck yourself to make sure you're not doing something wrong. I'm sure others will chime in.

Again Welcome.

detdrbuzzard
03-04-2010, 06:27 AM
hello and welcome to GWOF hammstone, it sounds like you wheel bearings are bad. i noticed a wobble on my 1500 last year on my way home from work and took the bike to the shop and no it is not common

Taco Bender
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
You can tell that dealer he needs new service people!!! If it was a common problem they not sell to many Wings!!! I agree need to replace brgs. Also inspect tire or better yet just put on a new one. Good Luck and let us know how you come out.

Two Wheel Wing
03-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Lost control at 25mph? That's not good or common. You did not say how many miles are on the bike and if any maint has been done on it. Some things I would check are

1. Tire. Correct pressure. Is the tire "cupped" or uneven wear pattern. Has it been balanced or could you have lost a weight?

2. Front forks. I don't know if your bike has air adjustment for the front forks but if so is it correct? Also could springs be worn out or fluid leaking?

3. Could the trouble be caused by the rear wheel? Sometimes rear wheel problems can manifest themselves through the front end. So check the back tire as well.

My GL1500 had a slight "wobble" at low speed turns and I installed a Super Brace which eliminated the problem. I would also find another dealer to check the bike.

Good luck and ride safe.

joe in calif
03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
1st thing is get another dealer, If that was common, being thrown off the bike at 25 MPH how many bikes do they think Honda would sell not to mention the legal action.
On the GL 1800 there is handlebar shake when decelerating from about 35 mph but only if you take your hands off the handlebars. In your case I would check the tire balance and the tires, both front and rear. Also check head bearings and wheel bearings, I think if I were you I would call American Honda 866-784-1870 and tell them about this NUT CASE. What dealership is he at so anyone in your area can avoid him.

billcarr_
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
My Wing ( 04 ) will wobble bad at low speed 25 - 40 if i take hands off. One correction is to be sure the front forks are torqued on correctly. I think 1/2 of all wings do this so when the dealer gives you "moon eyes" and begins to babble, he is ducking. I'm not sure why this still persists or why Honda didn't fix this a long time ago. It seems they need a steering dampner somewhere. Personally I dont let go of handlebars so it never bothers me.
Still it is a glitch in an otherwise excellent machine.

billcarr_
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the site!!

slickster
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
That dealer has a bad wobble....not common, obviously dangerous...check front tire for cupping, front wheel bearings, steering head bearings, front fork for proper oil and air is equipped....most common are the front tire and head bearings being loose....more likely a combination....

JoPhoenix
03-12-2010, 01:20 AM
one week ago i bought a 1978 GL1000. I am a vintage honda tech and i know a lot of the common problems of old hondas, but ive never owned a goldwing.

so i did as much research as i could, and discovered that the shaking actually IS a common problem on older wings, and its MOST COMMONLY caused by

A. a difference in fork pressure (air assisted or otherwise) such as a blown seal, or mis matched air pressure, which can cause the load to vary quickly and the suspension pogos and its turned into a wobbly motion.

B. steering head bearings - after so long, the grease dries up and you get metal to metal contact from the needle bearings to the race. might not be noticable during normal operation, but the very tiny flat spots that are now in the face of the needle bearings will cause oscillation at low to moderate speeds.

C. a heavily bent rim/ loose spokes (spoked or comstar wheels) or worn wheel bearings. This is least likely becuase it would be most noticable, but definately check this out anyway

I've seen "B" as the most common cause, especially on my own 1980 CB900C.

you probably have a slight amount of BOTH going on for it to be enough for you to dump the bike.

one way to tell is to look at your tire itself, is it cupping? that is an indicator that it is your forks that need to be looked at. and although it COULD be wheel bearings or a bent rim at this point, if the wheel rolls smooth and you cant see any wobble from your vantage point on the seat while riding, than your probably safe and youd best start at the front suspension

if you dont have another goldwing to compare, you might not notice the steering becoming sluggish. but i would have the bearings replaced as a precautionary measure.

you have to understand that these bikes were not designed to wobble when new. so something, somewhere, is wrong, in order to cause this.

I hope I have given you a good jumping off point to look for problems.

marunnels
03-31-2010, 03:09 PM
You can tell that dealer he needs new service people!!! If it was a common problem they not sell to many Wings!!! I agree need to replace brgs. Also inspect tire or better yet just put on a new one. Good Luck and let us know how you come out.

I have a 2001 GL1800 and I have had it for a few years. It has always done the handlebar shake at about 30mph when decreasing the throttle. I take my hands off my handlebars and it can really got to shaking. I have changed the tire and it still does but not as bad. There are a lot of posts on the internet about that. Honda says for onekeep your hands on the steering wheel. 2. the correct fix costs $2000. So I guess I'll keep my hands on the handlebars.

mcross
03-31-2010, 09:40 PM
My '83 interstate had the same problem when I bought it last Oct. I replaced the two worn out tires and it solved the problem. It handles rock solid in the turns and while slowing down. Don't know if the fact the old rear tire was mounted backwards may have contributed to the problem. Rides great now!