Exhaust Mods [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: Exhaust Mods

Raider
11-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I have an 08 GL18 and think it is a great bike. The finest I have ever ridden. Only problem I have with the bike, if you can call it a problem, is it is too quiet. I know they make some aftermarket exhaust and was wondering who had what and what they thought of them. Also wondering about mileage and power changes with the new exhaust.
Thanks.

Glazguy
11-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I'd also be interested in knowing whether a fuel processor needs to be installed when anyone has made exhaust changes.

Commander K
12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm with ya on that too Raider. I love my bike and I am very pleased with the thought that I don't ever need to upgrade from here. I also think the bike is a little too quiet and I would like to get it a notch or two higher. Being the thrifty person I am, I am willing to wait until the bike needs replacement exhaust. Can anyone tell me about when, in miles, I will need to replace the muffler system?

Raider
12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I just installed the Cobra slip ons on my 1800. Sound is still mellow but changed to where it now sounds like a Hot Rod. It got cold and started raining so I have not had a chance to hear it on the road or check mileage. Looks alot better and I bet it dropped 10-15 pounds from the stockers!

I also inadvertantly fixed a rattle that I had as one of the nuts was missing on my stock pipe allowing the cover to rattle.

I will post more when I get a chance to ride it.

Glazguy
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
with changing of the pipes cobras or any aftermarket pipes require a change of fuel processor also.

budoka
12-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I have heard mixed reports on this. I e-mailed Cobra direct and got no response, but they only list processors for carbureted bikes on their site. I'm betting that unless you do something radical to the intake tract, the bikes ECU and fuel mapping will compensate just fine. I'll find out next spring when I decide on whether to go Cobra or Torqmaster. I've heard some reports from riders that have drilled 1/2" holes in the baffles to boost the sound of their bike. Not sure about that one.

Chopin
12-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Here's a topic that addresses a contradiction: " Why can't a Goldwing be more like a motorcycle ? " . I share the same " stealth " sentiments of power without presence issue. I attribute it to being a V-Twin rider and the feel and noise of those two pistons slapping up and down. Imagine what six pistons could feel and sound like! The Cobra slip-ons look like a good alternative. I have heard them on a VTX and was impressed. I would encourage those of you with expendable income to try it so we can decide if the bang is worth the buck.

Redfox
12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
This is what I like about this site, even if you don't ask a question, someone has read your mind and asked the question for you. You guys keep experimenting and let us all know how we can improve our almost perfect bikes and improve our rides.

lrjackel
12-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I have Cobra slip ons on my VT1100, big difference from stock, power band is better. Some of my friends won't ride behind me (too loud), love the sound of the of my wings stock pipes (with a little wear on the mufflers 52,000. :)

Raider
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
So, I have gotten about 300 miles riding with the new Cobra slip ons and I like the way they sound. I am sure I can feel a seat of the pants increase in power. Wish I would have dyno'd prior to and after install. Man, that hindsight is an awesome thing. Back to the pipes.

I rode some short rides around town and thought the bike sounded great, reminds me of a hot rod. Pipes are slip on and install took me about 12 minutes per side, about 30 minutes total because I kept looking for it to be more difficult than it was. The only complaint I have is that the exhaust resonance gets worste with the Cobras. It is significantly increased over stock. I have not taken a long journey with them installed yet but have not sold my stock pipes until I do. I will try to get 500 or so miles on them one day soon and report back as to how the resonance got to me after that long.

I sold my VTX1800 with Cobra Longshots and am fairly young on the Gold Wing Rider scale, so to say they are loud is and understatement.

If anyone would like riding video or sound video just drop me your email and I will try to get some out to you.

There is a you tube video with a guy that installed the Cobras on his bike, he does a very good before and after. The pipes do not sound much different than stock at that is what I got when I first started the bike up. But now that it is out it is louder than stock and the resonance, which you can hear in his video, is a good example of what it sounds like to you, it is just louder in person!!

Until next time,
RT:cool:

billcarr_
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I do like the sound of a V Twin nicely tuned. Actually one of the fiercest sounding exhaust notes (to me) was a late model triumph triple run up in a dyno with aftermarket pipes. This thing sounded all business. Actually an AJS, BSA or Velocette single sounds terrific as well.

In my experience, the sound of a Valkeryie or a Wing with modified exhaust is simply too busy to be pretty. In a row of Porsches maybe this is an OK note. Out on the hiway It is not appealing to me. There isn't much a stock wing will not do powerwise. Personally, I'd leave a Wing exhaust alone. Racket on a 1500 miler is the last thing I want to bring along.

Life is short; do it now! :D

Raider
01-26-2010, 12:33 AM
So, I have about 800 more miles on the Cobra slip ons. Still like them alot. No problem on longer trips. Resonance can be overcome with the radio. Get alot of looks and comments on these pipes and the way they sound/look. I really like them over the stock. No problems with the bikes fuel system, the ECU compensated for the pipes without any problems.

I still believe I gained some horsepower and now that I have had the pipes for some time and quit blipping the throttle every second it seems to be getting about the same mileage, if not a hair better. I promise I will try not to beat every person I meet off the line and see what I can do for a mileage comparison.

Would highly recommend these pipes (hear that Cobra?) to anyone with the desire for a little more sound out of their Wing with little cost and super easy install.

Ride Safe and hope to see some of you in Hico at the Pie Run this weekend.:D

RT

Chopin
01-26-2010, 05:42 AM
So, I have about 800 more miles on the Cobra slip ons. Still like them alot. No problem on longer trips. Resonance can be overcome with the radio. Get alot of looks and comments on these pipes and the way they sound/look. I really like them over the stock. No problems with the bikes fuel system, the ECU compensated for the pipes without any problems.

RT

Can we get a picture of how the " sound " looks on the bike ?

budoka
01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
I want 'em, I want 'em, I want'em!!!

Raider
01-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I will get some pics this weekend. Pouring rain today and tomorrow.

marcsvette
01-29-2010, 08:49 AM
From what I understand about the fuel system, is that it would alter the current mapping for altitude and other varibles to maintain the correct fuel/air ratio. This should carry over to a different exhaust with less back pressure.

Raider
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
So thought I would give a quick update on the pipes since I started this post and could be the cause of someone buying these pipes.

Having put about 4,000 miles on them since I put them on with a couple of slower long rides (60mph or so) I must now say that the resonance was about the only thing that I heard!! I knew it was worste at that speed but man after 947 miles I almost cut them off and threw them into the Intercoastal Waterway, luckily the Coast Gaurd was out and stopped me:-) I am going to do one more ride to San Antonio and the Hill Country this weekend and if they are as bad at 70 or so.... than they were at 60 I will post them up for sale on Monday!!

Apologize for the original excitement. I still do like the way they sound and look, mileage is a little better also, but I am doing a 7,000 miler in July and do not want to deal with the resonance issues.

Bike runs great by the way.

Mack
04-29-2010, 07:40 AM
I have ordered the cobra Tri- Ovals that are new and I hope they dont create a noise that overcomes my radio.

budoka
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Still agonizing over this issue. IDO want some more growl out of the Wing, but don't want to take away from the refined nature of the bike. I like the idea of an increase in performance with the combination of the Torqmaster pipes and the torq loopz (the extra baffles would keep sig/other happy) but I'd have the snarl for my HD buddies in back of me. The Cobras have a nicer appearance I think, but I'm thinking more of audible than bling. Decisions, decisions:rolleyes:

Raider
05-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Well today for an experiment I pulled the baffles out of the Cobra pipes. Was really easy and quick so I figured why not. I started it up and out poured the sweetest hot rod V-8 sound I ever heard, it was simply stated AWESOME!! Just too loud, so the baffles went back in. Did take a ride with them out and my son said he could hear me for about a 1/2 mile or so. To bad I have gotten to old to keep them in.

Mack
05-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I figured to get a difference in power you would have to take the catalytic converter off the bike, would you not? It seems that the slip on only changes the noise level. This would be due to the fact that the converter restricts the exhaust flow and limitis exhaust.

budoka
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
According to Jimmy at Torqmaster, the converter does come out for installing the Torqloopz which makes it a "true dual exhaust" system. I'm not sure I'd want to take the converter off my bike either. Wings are never going to sound like the Milwaukee brand (and that's a good thing) but I sure like the idea of unleashing the snarl in that big six. There are also dyno charts that back up the claims of torque and hp increases. Haven't seen anything on the Cobras, and every time I send an e-mail enquiry to them, I get no answer. Hmmm.

Raider
05-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I believe the slip ons will still allow the exhaust to flow better. I admit it could be the added sound that makes if feel more powerful. Could also be the significant weight loss over the stock exhaust, much, much lighter than stock.
I contacted Cobra concerning the new exhaust they have out and if it fixes the "droning" that I get in these. They said it did. So of course I asked the next logical question (at least in my mind) to see if they are going to make right on the sub par exhaust they put out? They said they were a manufacturer, not a retailer, so I would have to call who I bought them from. I said it was a manufacturing problem, not a resalers so.... So they did nothing.
But I still like the way they look and sound. Torqueloopz next (right after next major service) and we will see how it sounds and behaves then!!!!

Heliarc49
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
www.vtxexhaust.com Modifies stock exhaust to aftermarket sound with no need for fuel processors and not a loud obnoxious sound.

Raider
08-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Ok. Been a while since I updated this post. Been dreading it but think the information is worth it, so, let the attack begin!!

Some of you know that i am a younger GL1800 rider and as the threads read I changed my stock pipes over for the Cobra slip ons. If you are just changing the slip on, DON'T BUY THES PIPES. the pipes are of good quality and the install was super simple but the more miles I rode the more I disliked (hated but trying to be polite) them. On my annual summer trip, 5,670 miles in 9 days, I almost considered leaving the bike on the side of the road and hitch hiking the rest of the way! I know I did it to myself but none the less, that's where I was.

Since getting back home I did the unthinkable and ordered and installed a set of torque loops in front of the Cobras. This was a fairly long install (about 2 1/2 hours) but fairly simple and straight forward. You do have to cut the cats off and these go in their place. The stock o2 sensors screw into the loops and the bikes computer resets itself pretty well. I only say pretty well as there is a little decel pop on occasion.

After I installed these I immediately took the bike for a ride, oh what a difference it made. The deafening Cobra exhaust drone was now gone and the most sexy growl you ever heard was now coming from the exhaust. Instant rush for me!!

I have now put over 3,000 miles on the new system and my H-D riding brother is now more envious than ever. He kept trying to pull away from me, that is now a tot waste of time. Plus I have gained 3-5 mpg and have an exhaust note that everyone asks about!!

The noise while riding is dang near stock and like I said before all of that nasty Cobra slip on droning is gone.

You may ask why I am so hard on Cobra right now, well let me give you the short of it. I called Cobra and asked for help and they told me they cod not help. I had to call whomever I bought them from (Hal) and
D since I did not think it was the people who sold them to me but the people who designed and built them problem, I did not bother Hal. I told Cobra this and asked about the new tri oval slip ons and they assured me that the problem had been corrected on the new pipe, I said hah, so you admit there's a problem:-) the phone got quiet and so I offered to pay the difference for the new pipes if they wood take mine back and if course they said no. I have had many, many sets of Cobra pipes and have never had a reason to call. That's good for them because if this had happened before I would have switched manufacturers a long time ago.

So that's my update, let the attacks begin. Any real questions will be answered as soon as I can and I can get a vid of the sound if anyone would like.

Safe riding,
RT

Raider
08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I did forget to mention that my brother thinks it sounds like a valk with the six gun exhaust on it.

budoka
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Glad you're happy Raider! I thought about the torqloopz as well, but I haven't decided on them yet. I'd likely use my extra baffles if I did though. My Kingsnakes have a pretty mean wail to them under full throttle acceleration, very little drone on the highway.

zhdrummer
08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
So that's my update, let the attacks begin. Any real questions will be answered as soon as I can and I can get a vid of the sound if anyone would like.

Safe riding,
RT

Thanks. I have been patiently waiting for your update. I am running the Cobra's and although the drone tone doesn't bother me, as much as it apparently does you, it is present around 58 mph and my state has a 65 mph max limit. Boo!
I am also one of the Wingers who is OK with a louder exhaust. Granted, I don't want my GW to sound obnoxiously loud, like my Harley running a "Thunder Header." But I am interested in knowing how sweet the 6 cylinder GW motor sounds with those torque loops in front of Cobras. If it gets me better performance and little more grumble, I want some. I always said, when twisting the throttle, it sounds like a V6 truck. I want to know if the torque loops make it sound even meaner.

Please post audio if you can and thanks again for the review and followup.

Raider
08-18-2010, 11:58 PM
I will try and post video tomorrow and if I can't figure out how I will post a link.

budoka
08-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes please get us a sound clip, I'm more than a tad curious too.

trike lady
08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I know people who have used the Torq Master slip ons and the Torq Loopz on their GL-1800's and have had improved performance. The company that makes the system states that the ECM doesn't notice the change and that it takes care of itself in about 20 miles.
You keep the O2 sensors on the headpipes and remove the Catalytic Convertors and replace them with the Torq Loopz and then add the Torq Master slip on mufflers.

TRebel
09-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok, how about a report from someone with the Cobra Tri-Ovals?

budoka
09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
The tri-ovals had just come out when I got my Torqmasters. I tried to get more info from Cobra about them (warranty, weight, sound levels difference between them and the slip-ons) and I never heard a word back from three separate e-mails. I figure if they aren't interested enough to get back to me, I don't need their product. I had very good luck with Cobra (including returned correspondence) on two of my other bikes, both with pipes and other custom accessories but not this time.

Nightwing
11-20-2010, 01:53 PM
I too would like more growl from my 1800, but I'm too cheap to blow the $400 or whatever it is for aftermarket pipes.:confused: My old 93 had Torque Masters on it when I bought it and I loved that sound. It did do this resonating thing on the highway but I where earplugs anyway, then i turn up the stereo.:D
I thought about cutting a couple of 3/4 inch holes in the back of the stock muffler. You could always plug it back up if you didn't like it eh?:eek:

Nightwing
11-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Oops, That would be "wear" earplugs, not "where" earplugs...:D

trike lady
11-20-2010, 04:15 PM
You'd want the same set of mufflers for the 1800, the Torque Masters and then for even more power and sound add the Torque Loopz. The Loopz do away with the catalytic converters.

Heliarc49
11-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Having done uncountable pipes for VTX's, Goldwings, etc. I can tell you that you would not be the first to want bore a hole for more sound. We receive many pipes that have tried similar "on line" solutions. The end result is more volume but no "sound". A tuned sound requires exit tubing that will concentrate and tune the sound.

Our process empties the original muffler and installs a tuned exit tube and the result is a manageable sound that does not require ear plugs or a disguise while driving thru your neighborhood. The plus side is that even if you do bore the holes and find yourself unhappy with the sound (or lack of sound) we can still use your pipes and give you the sound you're looking for.

trike lady
11-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I too would like more growl from my 1800, but I'm too cheap to blow the $400 or whatever it is for aftermarket pipes.:confused: My old 93 had Torque Masters on it when I bought it and I loved that sound. It did do this resonating thing on the highway but I where earplugs anyway, then i turn up the stereo.:D
I thought about cutting a couple of 3/4 inch holes in the back of the stock muffler. You could always plug it back up if you didn't like it eh?:eek:

The Torque Master mufflers and Torque Loopz are of excellent quality and trike owners are beginning to use them for increased performance. There are Cobra mufflers and I have heard about a set called 'Alley Cat'. Found a website offering them http://www.chriscoacc.com/webPages/cobra_exhaust.htm

Nightwing
11-21-2010, 03:25 PM
And this would cost me how much? Oh yea, there would be shipping too eh?

Nightwing
11-21-2010, 03:28 PM
That was in response to Heliarc49;)

fxrshog
11-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Installed Alley Cats on my 1500 a few thousand miles ago, Absolutely love the sound but can't say much for the chrome quality, especially on the bottom of the mufflers.

budoka
11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I've only had them for one season, but I'm pleased with the quality of the finish on my King Snakes. It's too early to say how well they'll stand up over time though. I'll hang on to my OEM's for a couple years just in case.

Nightwing
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
King Snakes? Whats the website for that...

budoka
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
They are Torqmaster pipes, similar to the Daytona, but just a bit less $$. They have a real mean snarling howl when you open the tap wide open, and have a very pleasant (to me anyway) deep growl around town. at idle you can tell the difference but it isn't loud by any means. some resonance on the highway, but I don't find it bothersome (although I'm certain some would) and I have the extra bafles if I want to hush it some more, but the Mrs hasn't even noticed, so it can't be bad at all. I'm sure the bike would howl like a banshee with the Loopz added, not sure if I could go there. There are some sound clips on Torqmaster's web site and there are some youtbe vids out there as well, some with the install.

ptwingmn
12-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I have an 08 GL18 and think it is a great bike. The finest I have ever ridden. Only problem I have with the bike, if you can call it a problem, is it is too quiet. I know they make some aftermarket exhaust and was wondering who had what and what they thought of them. Also wondering about mileage and power changes with the new exhaust.
Thanks.

My "02" GL1800 (88K+ miles) seemed to get louder the more I rode it. Had a slight rumble to it. I recently installed the Torque Loopz exhaust and it is a little louder, "throaty sound". Definently does not sound like a car. Also I notice a slight increase in power when I get on it. I like them for the sound and the performance.

MaineWinger
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I am new to this site and have really spent a lot of time reading many threads. I have also put my 2 cents worth when I thought that I had something add or ask. This is a really good forum with a lot of good information.

I am on the fence with the torqloopz at this point and have a lot of questions that will need to be answered in my state (Maine) as far as legal or not to remove the cats. I like many other would like to have a little more growl out my 6 and I am seriously looking the the Torqmaster Kingsnakes. I don't know yet and would love to drive with or actually drive a bike with the pipes changed to see if I want the extra noise at highway speeds. I like the cruz on the wing, but again I would some growl as well. Maybe I will go out and buy another bike to play with and leave my wing alone to do what it was built to do. Ride like a couch potato. :D

ptwingmn
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I am new to this site and have really spent a lot of time reading many threads. I have also put my 2 cents worth when I thought that I had something add or ask. This is a really good forum with a lot of good information.

I am on the fence with the torqloopz at this point and have a lot of questions that will need to be answered in my state (Maine) as far as legal or not to remove the cats. I like many other would like to have a little more growl out my 6 and I am seriously looking the the Torqmaster Kingsnakes. I don't know yet and would love to drive with or actually drive a bike with the pipes changed to see if I want the extra noise at highway speeds. I like the cruz on the wing, but again I would some growl as well. Maybe I will go out and buy another bike to play with and leave my wing alone to do what it was built to do. Ride like a couch potato. :D

I like the Torque Loopz sound and performance on my bike. They are not that loud, but if you open up the throttle they give a deep throaty sound and rumble. At highway speeds it sounds more like a motorcycle than a car. If I were you I wouldn't be afraid to install them. Not sure about the cat converter issue in your state. I kept mine just incase. I doubt it would ever be an issue unless you have an inspection in your state. It all boils down to taste and prefrence on your part. Good Luck and safe riding. :)

DonaldLL
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Can Torque Loopz be installed and use the OEM mufflers? If so, wouldn't this give more sound than stock but less than Loopz and Torqmasters or less than Torqmasters used with the stock catalytic converter?

ptwingmn
01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Can Torque Loopz be installed and use the OEM mufflers? If so, wouldn't this give more sound than stock but less than Loopz and Torqmasters or less than Torqmasters used with the stock catalytic converter?

Using the Torque Loopz, I purchased from Chrome World, the stock OEM mufflers remain. The cat converters and cross over is eliminated and it becomes a true dual exhaust. You can put any muffler on you want if you decide to change the mufflers and I would imagine that would make them louder yet. Mine are installed using the stock muffllers. Also you can look on line and see the system and installation procedure. :)

budoka
01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for that pt, I was sure I'd seen someone post that they put the loopz on and kept the stock muffflers. Were the Loopz much of a chore to install? I know you have to reinstall the O2 sensor.

lonewolftx
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Whikw doing some work on the green wing I removed the rt muffler and started her up, I like the sound so much that I am thinking about making up some straight pipes for her'

ptwingmn
01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for that pt, I was sure I'd seen someone post that they put the loopz on and kept the stock muffflers. Were the Loopz much of a chore to install? I know you have to reinstall the O2 sensor.

They are not that hard to install, but the instructions that come with it are not real clear. You have to remove the exhaust system from the bike, headers included. you will need to get new exhaust gaskets (6) from your dealer to reinstall the manifolds. There is cutting and fitting involved, so figure things out, once you remove the exhaust system, for reinstallation with the Torque Loopz pipes. It is alot easier if you have a lift to work on. Makes for a fun couple of hours, :cool:

budoka
01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, a dealer and a lift bench...wonder where I can locate one of those? :D
Curious about the cutting though, did you have to cut the header pipe?

Coastie
03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Remove the exhaust tip, drill a 3/8" hole halfway between the outlet and the top of the muffler in the center. If you want a little more rumble, increase the hole to 1/2" I have done this to 2 of my 1800's. I get people asking me all the time what exhaust I am running.

Easy to do, and if you don't like the sound, plug the holes.

This information is on the GL1800 Riders forum. General message board under stock extension modifications. There is a diagram of process. Curious to know if any of you have done this?

DreamWeaver
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Amazing...I for one prefer the silence and quiet of the GW and wouldn't touch it for anything. I like to ride down the road, feel the wind in my face, actually hear the music in my old ears and hear my darling whisper sweet nuthin's in my good ear. "nuthin, nuthin, nuthin"...In fact if I could lay my hands on one of them old deep sea diver helmets, I might stick a few speakers in it and unscrew the face plate and be in heaven. Every other bike rider in the world is looking for silence and some of us are looking for noise. In the 60's we would weld "cut outs" on the exhaust pipes and racket was just a few bolts away. Maybe you guys need to try cut outs. We even used radiator necks welded into the exhaust. Ya gotta love this site....NUTHIN..nuthin....:D

Dookoo
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
There is no ecu/fuel processor available for the Wing. Therefore, any hp increases claimed will be minimal. The main point is to have a little less quiet and a bit more rumble. I wish to hear the engine over the wind noise alone so I know what gear I am in during more spirited rides. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the rear of the exhaust and so far I like the extra note. Will go on a longer ride before I maybe decide to go bigger.

Nightwing
03-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Ya, I saw this on the "other" forum. I was going to do this today but I went for a ride instead. I guess it wouldn't have taken very long to do though. Coastie, I will give a report as soon as I get it done eh?:D

Coastie
03-02-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm going to do a little drilling myself this morning. I will also post my findings.

Thanks

Dookoo
03-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Went for a 400 miler over the weekend and drilling the 3/8" hole was the best free mod I've made to my Wing so far. Just a tad more rumble, no exhaust leak sound that some have mentioned, and I can hear my engine over the wind noise when hanging off in the twisties. Awesome!

Nightwing
03-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Has anyone tried a 1/2" hole? I think I'll try that on Wednesday...

Nightwing
03-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm going to do a little drilling myself this morning. I will also post my findings.

Thanks

What did you think eh? (little Canadian lingo there...):D

Coastie
03-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I drilled the 1/2" holes and the bike sounds great. Not very loud at all, just a bit more rumble. Highway speeds are also just fine. Doesn't sound like an exhaust leak from previous posts.

Nightwing
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Well if one is good, two or three should be better right? :0)

sfeather
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I installed Borlas on my last 1800 and they sounded great. My concern was losing the ability to hear the stereo at speed, but it was no problem.
The exhaust was never loud but when you dialed it on it sounded really nice!
Steve

Coastie
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Well if one is good, two or three should be better right? :0)

Let me know how it sounds. Maybe 4 would be the trick.

budoka
03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Just a thought here, 1500's and 1800's are 6's. Mightn't it make sense to do 3 on each side?;)

Nightwing
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Well wasn't it on this forum that someone drilled three 3/8 holes in each and then cut out the metal in between so the hole was more of a half circle. Don't remember what he thought of the sound though...:rolleyes:

kenrbass
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I gave it a shot and drilled the holes. It sounded like a whistle type of exhaust leak. I plugged em.

Nightwing
03-08-2011, 11:45 PM
How many? One in each muffler?

kenrbass
03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
yes, one each. tried 3/8, then enlarged them to 1/2 to try and stop the whistle.

1/4 inch pipe plugs stopped the whistle just fine. lol

Dookoo
03-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Why do some say they get an exhaust leak sound? Are you drilling per the diagram after taking off the extensions? Mine sounds very close to the Cobras my friend has installed on his Wing. Best of yet, it was so easy and cheap!

Nightwing
03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
What diagram?:eek:

Cantankerous
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Amazing...I for one prefer the silence and quiet of the GW and wouldn't touch it for anything. I like to ride down the road, feel the wind in my face, actually hear the music in my old ears and hear my darling whisper sweet nuthin's in my good ear. "nuthin, nuthin, nuthin"... Ya gotta love this site....NUTHIN..nuthin....:D

I have to agree with you, DreamWeaver, we ride a Wing for many reasons. One of which is the pleasant ride experience. My GL1200 has a sound of an old tractor and it drives me nuts! I have been trying to locate a new or slightly used system to quiet it back down.

I have listened to many of the YouTube videos of the GoldWings with modified exhaust and personally don't care for the sound when the throttle is cracked open. If I wanted the sound of a 'hot rod' Subaru that's what I would buy, instead of the finest road machine made.

Coastie
03-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I have to agree with you, DreamWeaver, we ride a Wing for many reasons. One of which is the pleasant ride experience. My GL1200 has a sound of an old tractor and it drives me nuts! I have been trying to locate a new or slightly used system to quiet it back down.

I have listened to many of the YouTube videos of the GoldWings with modified exhaust and personally don't care for the sound when the throttle is cracked open. If I wanted the sound of a 'hot rod' Subaru that's what I would buy, instead of the finest road machine made.

I guess that's why they make Ford's and Chevy's. Everyone has different taste.

Cantankerous
03-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I guess that's why they make Ford's and Chevy's. Everyone has different taste.

And some of us even like Mopars! :eek::eek:

ptwingmn
03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
What diagram?:eek:

I have the same question. What diagram?? Does someone have instructions or diagrams on this? If so can you post it>
I would appreciate it. Thank you.:)

Dookoo
03-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Sorry guys concerning the diagram. It is on the gl1800riders forum under 'exhaust extensions'. I do not know how to post the link but if you go on the site you will find it. My apoogies

Nightwing
03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Well I got my holes drilled in my mufflers, about an inch above of the exhaust outlet. There are three mounting bolts that hold that end piece on. I broke two of them off, one each side, trying to unscrew them. Should've sprayed them down with something and let them sit a while I guess. :p I drilled out the left side with a 3/8 bit, couldn't get the right end cap off for some reason. Honda used some sort of silicone or something to help hold it on. Made it difficult getting it off. :(
I wanted to hear what it sounded like so I started up. It was somewhat throatier. Then a few days later (today) I got the other side off with much persuasion. I grabbed a drill bit which turned out to be a 7/16, I guess I thought I had a 3/8 in my hand. But I used that one the right side, so I went back and drilled out the left side too. Put the end caps back on and started it up again. :) It sounds even throatier than before, but not offensively so. :D I like the sound. Can't wait to go for a ride, its raining right now. :( Maybe tomorrow...

flashie
03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
I did it too . two 1/2 inch one in each pipe. I did it with the motor running and heard instant music coming from the bike. Not so much louder but deeper ,raspier. I like it.

Nightwing
03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Sooo, 1 inch should be even better eh? :D

flashie
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
If I did that my only hope would be that it was so loud I couldn't hear the wife over it.

Dookoo
03-28-2011, 02:02 AM
I did it too . two 1/2 inch one in each pipe. I did it with the motor running and heard instant music coming from the bike. Not so much louder but deeper ,raspier. I like it.

Great idea drilling the holes while the engine was running to get instant feedback. I will go on one more long ride before going from 3/8 to 1/2".

Dookoo
04-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Just did a 300 miler today up the coast and through the Santa Cruz mountains. Was riding with a Busa, R1, and Z1000. I'm definitely going to up the size of the hole from 3/8 to 1/2".

flashie
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Just returned from a long weekend in Nashville TN and we put on 1200 miles. The pipe sounds great when I get on it and is still very quiet on the freeway at speed. Gas mileage did not seem to be effected but the bike is new and when I got home I had 3750 total miles on it. We got between 35 and 40 mpg. My expectation is the motor will loosen up a bit and might improve a little as well.

ptwingmn
04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Has anyone tried a 1/2" hole? I think I'll try that on Wednesday...

I just drilled a 3/8" hole on each side and started the bike up. It had a nice rubble to it and when I reved the engine it was a deep throating sound. Sounds real good. So..............I drilled a second 3/8" hole above the first one(s). It sounds even better. When ideling it sounds like it has a cam in it. Any way I like the sound. Now understand I already have the Torque Loopz pipes on it which gave the bike a throaty sound, combined with the holes it is a throaty rumble sound. I think it sounds great..........Not too loud and not like a car with glass packs. Just a nice deep rumble.
PS: I did not remove the tail piece on the exhaust, I used a long
3/8" bit so you don't have to actually remove anything using the right tools. The whole deal took 5 min. I like it..........:)
Any one going to Leesburg, FL. Bike Festival this week end?:cool:

Dookoo
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
You're lucky ptwingmn because there is no way to just use a long drill bit on my 08 model. I have to take off the extension to properly drill the hole. I wonder what the difference in sound would be with a 1/2" hole vs two 3/8" holes? Anyways, I just drilled out my 3/8 to 1/2 and sounds good!

ptwingmn
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
You're lucky ptwingmn because there is no way to just use a long drill bit on my 08 model. I have to take off the extension to properly drill the hole. I wonder what the difference in sound would be with a 1/2" hole vs two 3/8" holes? Anyways, I just drilled out my 3/8 to 1/2 and sounds good!

Are the end pieces different on the 08's? Mine is an 02. Any way, that's how I did mine. We're, the wife and I, are riding to Leesburg, FL. today so I am anxious to hear how it sounds at cruising speeds. We'll be pulling our trailer this trip. The "Fibro Concept".
My wife actually liked the sound of the pipes. I was surprised she even cared !!!!!!!!. She loves riding but leaves all the tinkering and mods to me just as long as she is comfortable. When she's happy, I'm happy.!!!!:)

Nightwing
04-10-2011, 11:45 PM
PT
Did you break off a couple of screws because they were rusted in like mine? (sigh...):p So now I only have two screws on each side holding the end caps on. I thought about enlarging my holes to a 1/2 inch just to see what the difference would be, I used a 7/16 before. (hee,hee....:D)

ptwingmn
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
PT
Did you break off a couple of screws because they were rusted in like mine? (sigh...):p So now I only have two screws on each side holding the end caps on. I thought about enlarging my holes to a 1/2 inch just to see what the difference would be, I used a 7/16 before. (hee,hee....:D)

Nightwing,
I got all the screws out okay, but I could not get the end pieces off so I put all the screw back in. I bought an extended long 3/8" bit.
(12" long) and used that to drill the holes. I drilled two (2) 3/8" holes in each side. I think the sound is great. It is lound and throaty going thru the gears, then when in high gear at highway speeds, 70-75 mph it has a nice smooth rumble. It sounds like a hemi or the mustang with the big engine and dual exhausts, the same rumbling throaty sound. The only thing is this week end we road about 500 miles and I could smell exhaust fumes. Has anyone had that issue when you drilled the muffler? I was pulling my trailer and wondered if it was making the fumes blow back towards the bike. I have to check for exhaust leaks. The bike does not sound like it has an exhaust leak though. But the smell of exhaust is there for sure. :)

Nightwing
04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Oh yea, I forgot about having to yank the end caps off. the left side came off fairly easy but the right side I had to persuade with a hammer and punch, carefully. Honda apparently used some sort of Silicone to help seal it to the muffler. Haven't noticed any exhaust smells yet. I'll have to get my trailer out and see if that makes a difference. Was the tone any different with the trailer on? I wouldn't think it would be...
Have a good day...

Dookoo
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
No smells from the exhaust. I don't see how drilling holes in this location could cause this. I do have turn downs as well, which directs the spent gasses down from the bike. Is it possible that your catalytic converter is defective?

ptwingmn
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
No smells from the exhaust. I don't see how drilling holes in this location could cause this. I do have turn downs as well, which directs the spent gasses down from the bike. Is it possible that your catalytic converter is defective?

Dookoo,
I don't see how drilling holes in it would cause the exhaust smell either. I do not have the catalyic converter, It is removed with the Torque Loopz pipes. Only thing I can think of is I was pulling my trailer and maybe the exhaust fumes are being pushed back up from the draft of the trailer. I have to ride with out the trailer and see if there is a difference. Also maybe I'm running too rich, but this all started after drilling the holes. I will update as soon as I figure out what is causing the problem.:)

Dookoo
04-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Personally, I don't like to remove the cat because of the smell. Everytime I get in a group of bikes, I smell raw exhaust and can't wait to get up front. There is something good to say about the stock system. Any way you can put the cats back on? Its the only time my wife gives me the ok to blast out in front of everyone!!!

carboss
04-16-2011, 11:59 PM
You are absoutly right. Too much noise for me on any ride more than 100 miles.
I have an 1990 GW 1500 se (like new) and bought new with 52000 miles. I put a set of turn down extensions on it many years ago that required removing the straight extensions with a small baffel inside. The sound is great for a while then the droning noise gets more than I want to listen to.
I also have an Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster custom with Vance & Hines pipes and some engine mods which is more pleasing to hear for a while.
My 1800 2008 is stock and wonderful to ride and hear the alternator whine & other noises that I have not been able to ID just yet. The selling dealer states its NORMAL ??

carboss
04-17-2011, 12:05 AM
You are absoutly right. Too much noise for me on any ride more than 100 miles.
I have an 1990 GW 1500 se (like new) and bought new & now with 52000 miles. I put a set of turn down extensions on it many years ago that required removing the straight extensions with a small baffel inside. The sound is great for a while then the droning noise gets more than I want to listen to.
I also have an Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster custom with Vance & Hines pipes and some engine mods which is more pleasing to hear for a while.
My 1800 2008 is stock and wonderful to ride and hear the alternator whine & other noises that I have not been able to ID just yet. The selling dealer states its NORMAL ??

carboss
04-17-2011, 12:08 AM
I did not smell any exhaust odor while riding behind you last night but could hear some mellow exhaust tone. Sounded better than my 1500.

GOLD-WARRIOR
04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Where can I find the info to do this ?

Dookoo
05-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Where can I find the info to do this ?

Very easy mod. Just take off the stock exhaust extensions (be careful as the three bolts can rust/freeze making removal difficult), drill the holes, put everything back together. I would go straight to 1/2" holes.

Nightwing
05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Ya, I would squirt some WD-40 or something comparable on the bolts before you tried to turn em'. You can look inside of the end cap and squirt them from there too. Honda also used some sort of silicone to help seal them on there. So they might give you fits pulling them off. Maybe a heat gun would help here. I only used a 7/16 bit but I like the sound, not too loud. I don't think a 1/2 inch would be much different...
But you've probably already done the deed I guessing...

ptwingmn
05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I used an extended bit to drill mine so I did not have to remove the end piece. I drilled (2) 3/8" holes. As the diagram above shows, except I did one on top of the other. I would think one 1/2" hole would do as well.:)

Dookoo
05-03-2011, 01:07 AM
My wife likes the sound of the exhaust but finds it tiring on longer rides. We were about 3/4 of the way through a 400 miler today when she asked to make it quiet again. I pulled over to OSH, bought JB Weld and 1/4" pipe plugs and fulfilled her request in about 15 minutes. Guess what, I kinda missed the quiet as well. Go figure.

ptwingmn
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
My wife likes the sound of the exhaust but finds it tiring on longer rides. We were about 3/4 of the way through a 400 miler today when she asked to make it quiet again. I pulled over to OSH, bought JB Weld and 1/4" pipe plugs and fulfilled her request in about 15 minutes. Guess what, I kinda missed the quiet as well. Go figure.

Dookoo,
Go Figure! I agree with you. I have the Torque Loopz, which give a nice rumble which I like, then I drilled the holes which loudened the rumble, which I like & my wife doesn't find it objectionalble. But..........I think I am going to plug the holes too and just let the Torque Loopz sound surfice. I find after a long ride, I prefere a little less drone rumble. The nice feature is the fix is easy and cost nothing. I think with out the Torque Loopz I would stay with the two holes though. Nice to have inexpensive options!:)

Dookoo
05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok, I admit I cannot say I spent 'nothing' anymore. The purchase of the JB Weld and 1/4" pipe plugs really set me back! And about 45 minutes of personal shop time at $0.25 an hour:)

ptwingmn
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Ok, I admit I cannot say I spent 'nothing' anymore. The purchase of the JB Weld and 1/4" pipe plugs really set me back! And about 45 minutes of personal shop time at $0.25 an hour:)

Do you have any of the JB Weld left over, I can pick up a couple plugs. I hope I can beat the flat rate on the repair or I'll loose money on the whole deal.:cool:

Dookoo
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I think the mail rate to sunny Florida would put a dampner on our overall costs and we would have to junkpile this whole project. The security deposit of knowing I have a fresh tube of JB Weld in my toolbox is worth the peace of mind alone.