Satellite Radio [Archive] - Honda Goldwing Forums

: Satellite Radio

08jrgezr
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey Everyone,
I am new to the board. I just bought my first Goldwing. I can't beleive I waiting this long. I am enjoying every minute on it. Has anyone put satellite radio on their wing? I am wanting to, but do not know much about how to do it. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

joe in calif
08-21-2009, 09:24 AM
No problem hooking it up, run a hot wire and a ground and put on your antenna or you can run the power from the power port under the left fairing pocket.

detdrbuzzard
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
would be helpful to know what year wing you have and welcome to the forum

Glazguy
08-22-2009, 12:27 AM
If it's a new wing with the Satelite radio, you only have to call Sirius/XM and give them the model number and they'll walk you through getting the initial signal.

joe in calif
08-22-2009, 06:19 AM
My guess would be he has an 08 and it doesn't come with astellite radio, and he said
Has anyone put satellite radio on their wing?

Two Wheel Wing
08-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Welcome to the board and congrats on your new Wing.

bullseye
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Was 2010 the first year for satellite radio ready system on the wing?

I installed xm on my 05. I coiled up the very long antenna wire, placed it all under the instrument binnacle and ran the antenna wire out of the left speaker and put the antenna pod right at the speaker. Kept the unit in the pocket on the side plugged into the in pocket power port, worked flawlessly for me. a very neat and easy install

Chris

bstar
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Quiick comment:Many of the older wings did'nt have a 12v power outlet (Cigar Lighter)
I installed one on my 85 LTD with waterproof cap. This is the power source for my Sirius
Satellite radio. I now carry a small 12v air pump as well after a flat out in the boonies.
If your ride does'nt have a 12v outlet install one,you'll never regret it.

-Robert-

Fatwing Chris
01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
A buddy of mine lent me his to take on my holidays and after that you couldn't give me one.When you needed it the most it cut in and out way too much.It would get so annoying that i would shut it off.Why would you want to pay monthly for something that undependable.BTW when this was happening we were running the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway.Probably great for the flatlands,but no good where there are any obstructions.JMHO.

P.S. Love my MP3...it never cuts out.

Glazguy
01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
No different than in a vehicle with Satellite radio. I thought it was a problem at first when I would drive on tree covered roads. I've gotten used to it now that I know that there is nothing wrong with the system.

bstar
01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
A buddy of mine lent me his to take on my holidays and after that you couldn't give me one.When you needed it the most it cut in and out way too much.It would get so annoying that i would shut it off.Why would you want to pay monthly for something that undependable.BTW when this was happening we were running the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway.Probably great for the flatlands,but no good where there are any obstructions.JMHO.

P.S. Love my MP3...it never cuts out.

Was it an XM or Sirius radio? The reason I ask is the XM satellite
is on a more lower Southerly geosyncronous orbit than the Sirius
satellite which is higher in the sky (more northerly) there has been
complaints by users of the XM satellite north of the 49th. Parallel .
This may be what you were experiencing. I very very seldom loose signal using the Sirius satellite here north of the 49th. The only
time I may loose it is hunting in the thick bush with a solid canopy of trees, and even then if there's a small window in the trees it'll work.

-Robert-

Scottwings54
01-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I've got an XM that I put on my 1990. I put it in my pick-up myself so it was just a matter of getting the same installation kit for the GW. When im in my truck its in its mount and when i get on the bike i just plug the receiver into its mount just infront of the radio panel. If you have put yours into your vehicle it should be easy to do the same to your bike. Otherwise Im pretty sure any dealer or the store where you buy your sat receiver has done the same install before. Anyways, it's great to have it on the bike but use alot of care pushing buttons on it while riding.

Fatwing Chris
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
It was a Sirius and it worked OK until I got to the mountains.Even tree cover throws it off.The whole idea of taking it was so I would always have radio,but it certainly doesn't work that way.I heard that they cut out in the city around tall buildings also.Not that I ever ride near a city.I just couldn't see paying a monthly fee for something so undependable.

Glazguy
01-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Sure it does cut out at times in the same way that we sometimes lose our signal with our cell phones. Certainly not as bad as the cell phone cut outs. I still think it is worth the money.

Gene
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I put a sirius on my wing. I bought a motorcycle specific kit that made for a very neat instillation. The kit included a bracket which used the existing bolts on the bike to mount both the antenna and the radio mount. All needed cords were included for a very neat operation. With the antenna being level with the front brake master cylinder the reception is not as good as it is with my truck were a larger antenna is mounted on the top of the vehicle. I have used the radio with wireless modulation and the cass. adapter option included in the kit. Although I have no problems in the truck, the same radio actually sounds much better with the cassette adapter used on the bike. Using the cassette adapter saves the aggrevation of syncing the two radios together. It is a pain to stop, look for an unused FM frequency, tune the sat. radio to that frequency, only to have to do it again later. Maybe where you ride you have a lot more unused FM slots than I do here.
I already had the radio using it at work, at home, and in my truck. I love it the bike.

lcarpenter1
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
We've had a lot of success using an antenna specifically designed for motorcycle use. It's a vertical design, vice horizontal disk. I mounted it on the left side of the cockpit. Good reception, no matter whether I'm leaning through a curve or riding the canyons. No more long antenna wire to coil and hide away either.

I bought it at the Satellite Superstore -
Item : 11107
Description : XM Satellite Radio Motorcycle A XM Satellite Radio Motorcycle Antenna Quantity : 1 Unit Price : US $39.95

Does anyone know if the 2009 radio w/satellite will plug and play in the 2008 and earlier Wings? Will the plug in accessories for Honda/Acura radios work? I'd sure love to get satellite through my bike's stereo system, and overcome the volume loss I find with the satellite dock!

budoka
09-17-2010, 02:58 PM
8jrgezr there are a few different ways to get sat radio on your Wing, Any car unit will work with some ingenuity on the install, but weather damage is a concern. I have my Pioneer Inno XM/mp3 in the fairing pocket (safe from rain and sun) and run it through the aux on the bike system. Yes there is some volume loss this way, but it's still very acceptable. Any car system can be fed into the fm reciever and do away with the volume drop, but then as mentioned, crowding of frequencies can be troublesome. I know from freinds that Sirius has less drop out up here in the North than XM, but I find it more than tolerable. I find lots of signal loss in the mountains, but in the city, unless you're tucked into the shadows on the north side of a tall structure, it's ok. Chris if you lived here in the wilds of north central Alberta you'd embrace XM or Sirius; FM is pretty much non-existant or if it's there, it 'picket-fences' so bad you want to turn it off, just like you found with the satellite. If you want uninterrupted tunes, i-pod or mp3 is the only compact way to go, and you're still in the volume loss scenario. It could be worse, we could still all be packing a bag full of cassettes and their bulk and unspooling issues.:D
No offense to all of you that ride the 1200's and 1500's with cassette decks, it's just the new era biker in me talking.

daveo
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
The Garmin 550 and 665 both have XM radio capability. Or you can buy a aftermarket XM receiver with an earphone jack and plug it into your bikes AUX port. Just make sure the antenna has direct sky view to get a maximum satellite signal.

C17Flyer
09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Where do you mount the antenna for the bikes w/o built-in satellite radioi?

budoka
09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I mounted min on top of the windshield vent. It's only an inch square and about 1/3" high so it isn't real noticable, the cable is more noticable than the antenna; I haven't figured a good way to hide the most amount of cable yet. I get the best reception where the antenna is right now.

cris
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
i have a delfi skyfi i put the cradle on top of the left hand fairing pocket and plug into the aux wire and the 12 volt outlet inside i had to make a small v like cut below the cover to allow the wires to pass and not get cut i like it because the cradle has six push buttons to change the stations easily i carry a baggie to put over it if it starts to rain works very well had it on my ST also