new gold wing owner with tech questions - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

new gold wing owner with tech questions

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your assistance
I have been riding for many years and do all of my own repairs and maintenance. I recently purchased a 2010 Wing and will take possession of it in about a week. I have been doing some research and have heard good things about K&N air cleaner elements and was thinking of installing one during the off season. If anyone has experienced the before and after performance and gas mileage difference I would be very interested in the results. Although it is my first wing it will be my fourth Honda--I always used Castrol oil when doing oil changes but i was told to stick with the factory oil in the goldwing. I was not sure if that was just the dealer trying to sell me oil or if there really was a difference. If anyone has tips or tricks for maintenance I would really appreciate the feedback ( I have already been forewarned about the air cleaner installation ).

also I have heard that when you get really used to the bike it is possible to keep your feet on the pegs when you come to a stop sign or red light--any truth to that or is that just a myth?

Thanks again
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

First; Welcome to the GWOF and the Wonderful World of Winging it.
As a 1500 rider I can't help you much with 1800 tech. stuff.
I've been riding wings since 1992 and have never been able to come to a complete stop with out putting a foot down. Nor have any of my wing riding friends. Not saying it Can't be done, Just that the only time I've seen it done is by Drill Teams.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I remember seeing a recent post (I think it was Doc) who stated that he changed from Castrol (don't remember to what) and saw an improvement. I can get to a very slow roll and rarely a momentary stop before putting on power, but it comes with plenty of handlebar wiggles.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
First, welcome to the forum Ray.
I can stop for probably a second or less, anything over that and gravity takes over.
The trick is to practice your slow crawls without putting your feet down.
If you can go a long way under 5 mph without wiggling the handlebars, then you can try the stop.
Also you have to make sure that you are pointing straight and on a level surface.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wing

Chris

IDMWT #77
Current: 96 GL1500 SE

Sold:
92 GL1500I
86 GL1200A
00 HD FXDL
93 Yamaha XV1100
Too many before to list
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:18 PM

K&N air filter...... didn't notice any difference, but mice don't like it +

oil, pay attention to the letter codes that Honda wants.... I use Castrol 10-40.......... not a Honda dealer close enough..... but would probably still use castrol

good oil filters a bigger deal.

sometimes I can make a very brief stop with no feet.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:27 AM

I use Rotlla 5/40 synthetic oil in all my bikes, best oil I found. I go all summer with two filter changes and just add oil. Before the bike goes to hibernation for the winter, I change the oil and filter and it's ready for the next year.
fossil92 likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome from Mississippi.

I believe the dealer was trying to sell some product. Brand of oil questions are like tire questions, everybody has their opinions.

I use the Honda air filter so can't address that one. I advise looking at some web sites to see how to get to it. Like this one;
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800AirFilter06on.htm

I also have a 2010 and it balances well. I can pause at a stop sign, but an officer may dispute that I came to a full stop. Practicing those slow maneuvers helps.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800/2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Welcome to the form from Richmond, Virginia. I think that's a myth about stopping andnot putting your feet down. However, on the same note, I did read where you can stand a nickel up on the engine and then start the bike and it won't fall over?

Eddie
2004 GL1800 artic white
IDMWT #73

"Ride hard or stay home"
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
Welcome to the site - hope you get the help you want - enjoy the ride.

Tim Schutter
84 GL1200 Aspy
Freedom is not the right to do as you please; it is the liberty to do as you ought.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Garage
In all honesty the biggest weakness of the Goldwing over the HD Ultra (IMO) is slow speed maneuvering. The Harley I COULD stop very controlled and hold it for just the briefest of seconds without putting my foot down. The force of the Vtwin really helped keep you upright at very slow speeds. Its why a lot of times you'd see Harley riders rev their motors going at very slow speeds. Taking a rider of equal ability I bet I'd smoke a Goldwing rider in a straight line slow speed contest.

The horizontal 6 on the Goldwing is nice for its low-slung, low center of gravity. But it doesn't have that v-twin force to help keep you upright at slow speeds.
crownfire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode