Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clicking sound when braking

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  detdrbuzzard 
#1 ·
For some time now my '89 1500 has a clicking/tapping noise when braking especially when making left turns. I don't "think" I hear it during right turns. The rate of tapping corresponds to the bike speed. If I brake using only the front brakes I don't hear it. Making a left turn while coming into my driveway I hear the clinking sound and it gets slower as I come to a stop at the gate. Over the last weekend while leaning left on a freeway interchange that had a wall close to the traffic lane (speed 65/70) and could the clicking bouncing back at me off the wall so I guess it's not always in a braking mod. It does "sound" like it's coming from the rear braking system.
I have the original wheel bearing still and am thinking it could be a tired wheel bearing that braking puts more load on it. I've had the rear trunk/saddle bags off and don't see anything questionable. I took it to one of the local goldwing independent shops but they couldn't hear it. Of course.
Any ideas to look for? Anyone had this same problem? I also thought it could be from the speedo system but a new speedo head didn't change anything. Cable cleaned and lubed.
Ideas please. Thanks

#2 ·
My thoughts were the wheel bearing as well, but you may also want to check if there is anything strange in the caliper/pads/rotor area

Reactions: Bart_3500
#3 ·
Put your bike on the center stand and turn the front wheel and see if you can ear the click. Check to see if the calipers are in the center of the disk, they could be off and rubbing. I had one of my bikes do that kind of noise after changing the front tire. I notice the caliper was off a bit and it would just lightly touch the bolts and make a tick sound, could be a bearing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.