Should I go with Progressive Monotube? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By edmKC
  • 2 Post By DreamWeaver

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Should I go with Progressive Monotube?

Hi folks,
I have had my new to me 2002 Goldwing for more than 2 weeks now. I like the bike overall, it has only 24k miles and looks like new but since day one I found the suspension to leave a lot to be desired. I find the suspension pretty harsh and quite inferior to my previous bike which was a BMW K1200LT. I did bypass the ADV last week-end by adding the shim and it did improve the feeling on the front end a bit but it is still not great. After some research I found out that there were several different options to significantly improve the Goldwing stock suspension and handling like for example progressive monotube, RaceTech and Traxxion. I am not sure I am ready to shade $3k+ for the Traxxion. So I am considering the progressive monotube kit which a shop 5h from my place would install as well as replace the bearings with tapered ones for around $1k. I would like to hear from those who went that route if they liked the Progressive monotube upgrade.
Thanks

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled

Vieux motard que jamais

Last edited by alpac; 02-14-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM

I just replaced my stock springs with Pogressive Springs (didn't have the extra cash for the monotubes). So far happy with the new springs (also did the ADV bypass). Can't compare to a BMW, never rode one. I did a complete fork rebuild due to a leaking left fork (ADV Caused?!?) just my $.02. Mileage on the bike at the requild was 24,666. I have read that with Traxxion, there is more maintainence that needs to be done and Traxxion wants them to do it.

2008 GL1800HPNA RED
1988 BunkHouse Trailer
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 02-14-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@alpac if you send a PM to @edmKC he definitely will have info for you as well as feedback because he installed them himself on his bike, also had to redo them due to a problem encountered

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Alain I just found Kerry's original thread when he installed the monotubes and also the one where he dealt with his issue afterwards. Kerry is good people and I'm sure he will help with any info you request.

Original

Front Suspension Rebuild Done. Phew!

Repair after issue

Uh oh. I think I have a problem....

Also in reading the thread I had forgotten that @DreamWeaver also installed them on his 1800, so Isaac can also aid in your questions. Again just like Kerry, Isaac is a mechanic on his bike as well so I'm sure he will be glad to assist if he can with info.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 02-14-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Alain I just found Kerry's original thread when he installed the monotubes and also the one where he dealt with his issue afterwards. Kerry is good people and I'm sure he will help with any info you request.

Original

Front Suspension Rebuild Done. Phew!

Repair after issue

Uh oh. I think I have a problem....

Also in reading the thread I had forgotten that @DreamWeaver also installed them on his 1800, so Isaac can also aid in your questions. Again just like Kerry, Isaac is a mechanic on his bike as well so I'm sure he will be glad to assist if he can with info.
Thanks a lot, I will PM edmKC. The fact that he got a problem with the monotubes after only 2 years makes me think twice now about going that route.

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled

Vieux motard que jamais
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpac View Post
Thanks a lot, I will PM edmKC. The fact that he got a problem with the monotubes after only 2 years makes me think twice now about going that route.
Don't be too hesitant until you converse with Kerry. I believe there was a valid explanation for the issue if memory serves me correctly.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

FR #91

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Don't be too hesitant until you converse with Kerry. I believe there was a valid explanation for the issue if memory serves me correctly.
I've already PM'd alpac back, but I thought I'd post the jist of what I told him about my experience here too, in case anyone is interested.

I would definitely do the monotubes again. I firmly believe they had a design/manufacturing defect with the first generation of monotubes for GL1800's (although they don't seem to admit it), and the new ones should be fine. I think I read somewhere that they are up to a third generation now. When I sent them the set I had that seized up they never did say what was wrong with them, but they also had no hesitation sending me a replacement. I believe they are still lifetime warranty.

Regarding harshness - the monotubes give a much firmer suspension than OEM; not harsh, but firm. That harsh shock that the OEM system sends into the handlebars with every little crack in the road is gone. From what I've read, one of the issues with the stock front end seeming 'harsh' is that they already sag excessively with the weight of the bike and rider and that's what prevents them from soaking up the road bumps. With the OEM setup, I always found when I stopped that the front end sunk a lot. That doesn't happen with the monotubes. I did not disable the anti-dive on mine and I haven't experienced it having any negative effect. My thinking is that with the firmer shock it never comes close to activating.

Anyway that's my 2.6 cents (remember, they're Canadian cents so thats still only $0.02USD )
fossil92 and Chopin like this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (sold)
1983 Suzuki GS850G (sold)
1982 Yamaha Vision 550 (sold)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:53 PM

Location: Ranch outside Bertram, TX about 80 miles north of Austin.
I have never had any problems with the set I installed. I also did not de-activate the Anti Dive. The big decision I had to make was whether or not to add the spacer supplied to make the front end "stiffer". I added it and at first I was not happy. It sure made the front end "quick". I was used to the mushy feel of the stock suspension. Took a pretty good time to get used to it but now it just seems normal and I am satisfied. It's been several years now and I have had zero problems. When assembling them, I made sure to follow directions exactly. I used the recommended oil and made sure that each fork got exactly the amount of oil since one side takes more than the other. In fact, I haven't even given them a second thought in years. The spacer was the big question. Since their instructions simply said that leaving it out was their recommendation if you wanted a similar feel as the stock forks. That is the crap shoot. Leave it out and if it doesn't feel right, you have to disassemble them to put the spacer in. And if it's too stiff for you then you have to disassemble them to take the spacer out. I left it in and got used to it and I am happy now. ....I think it was edmKC that helped me a lot with good advice. So, all in all I am happy with them and a lot of times I pull a trailer too. .....Isaac
fossil92 and Chopin like this.

No river is shallow to a man that can't swim..

2007 GL 1800 (VA)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
Isaac
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 PM

I put the monotubes in myself at the beginning of last year and after riding on them all summer, I absolutely would recommend them as an upgrade. I did also leave the pre-load spacer in to stiffen the front slightly. If I were ever to get another wing, I would do it again before I ever rode it. I do also have the progressive spring on the rear.

08 GL1800 navi/ABS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 AM
Banned

I agree with jchpd203. It doesn't matter what your choice is for front fork work. Traxxion, Progressive, Race Tech, etc. After doing mine, I would NEVER ride a GoldWing without it. It still amazes me at how different the bike can be.

The guys at Traxxion told me they do as many brand new 'Wings as older ones. Now I can see why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode