Exhaust Mods - Honda Goldwing Forums
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Exhaust Mods

I have an 08 GL18 and think it is a great bike. The finest I have ever ridden. Only problem I have with the bike, if you can call it a problem, is it is too quiet. I know they make some aftermarket exhaust and was wondering who had what and what they thought of them. Also wondering about mileage and power changes with the new exhaust.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I'd also be interested in knowing whether a fuel processor needs to be installed when anyone has made exhaust changes.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
'08 Gl 1800

Yeah, I'm with ya on that too Raider. I love my bike and I am very pleased with the thought that I don't ever need to upgrade from here. I also think the bike is a little too quiet and I would like to get it a notch or two higher. Being the thrifty person I am, I am willing to wait until the bike needs replacement exhaust. Can anyone tell me about when, in miles, I will need to replace the muffler system?

Last edited by Commander K; 12-07-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added specifics
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
I just installed the Cobra slip ons on my 1800. Sound is still mellow but changed to where it now sounds like a Hot Rod. It got cold and started raining so I have not had a chance to hear it on the road or check mileage. Looks alot better and I bet it dropped 10-15 pounds from the stockers!

I also inadvertantly fixed a rattle that I had as one of the nuts was missing on my stock pipe allowing the cover to rattle.

I will post more when I get a chance to ride it.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
with changing of the pipes cobras or any aftermarket pipes require a change of fuel processor also.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I have heard mixed reports on this. I e-mailed Cobra direct and got no response, but they only list processors for carbureted bikes on their site. I'm betting that unless you do something radical to the intake tract, the bikes ECU and fuel mapping will compensate just fine. I'll find out next spring when I decide on whether to go Cobra or Torqmaster. I've heard some reports from riders that have drilled 1/2" holes in the baffles to boost the sound of their bike. Not sure about that one.

I don't really care what you ride as long as it doesn't spend more time at the local Starbucks than on the road.
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Lifetime Premium
Here's a topic that addresses a contradiction: " Why can't a Goldwing be more like a motorcycle ? " . I share the same " stealth " sentiments of power without presence issue. I attribute it to being a V-Twin rider and the feel and noise of those two pistons slapping up and down. Imagine what six pistons could feel and sound like! The Cobra slip-ons look like a good alternative. I have heard them on a VTX and was impressed. I would encourage those of you with expendable income to try it so we can decide if the bang is worth the buck.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
This is what I like about this site, even if you don't ask a question, someone has read your mind and asked the question for you. You guys keep experimenting and let us all know how we can improve our almost perfect bikes and improve our rides.
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I have Cobra slip ons on my VT1100, big difference from stock, power band is better. Some of my friends won't ride behind me (too loud), love the sound of the of my wings stock pipes (with a little wear on the mufflers 52,000.

1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Past, but not forgotten:
1964 Honda Dream
1965 Triumph Bonny
1978 Honda CL350
1980 Honda Hawk
1982 Silverwing 500
1983 Goldwing Aspencade
1997 Honda Shadow VT1100C
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Talking A few miles on the Cobra Tips

So, I have gotten about 300 miles riding with the new Cobra slip ons and I like the way they sound. I am sure I can feel a seat of the pants increase in power. Wish I would have dyno'd prior to and after install. Man, that hindsight is an awesome thing. Back to the pipes.

I rode some short rides around town and thought the bike sounded great, reminds me of a hot rod. Pipes are slip on and install took me about 12 minutes per side, about 30 minutes total because I kept looking for it to be more difficult than it was. The only complaint I have is that the exhaust resonance gets worste with the Cobras. It is significantly increased over stock. I have not taken a long journey with them installed yet but have not sold my stock pipes until I do. I will try to get 500 or so miles on them one day soon and report back as to how the resonance got to me after that long.

I sold my VTX1800 with Cobra Longshots and am fairly young on the Gold Wing Rider scale, so to say they are loud is and understatement.

If anyone would like riding video or sound video just drop me your email and I will try to get some out to you.

There is a you tube video with a guy that installed the Cobras on his bike, he does a very good before and after. The pipes do not sound much different than stock at that is what I got when I first started the bike up. But now that it is out it is louder than stock and the resonance, which you can hear in his video, is a good example of what it sounds like to you, it is just louder in person!!

Until next time,
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode