Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pew.

13K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
I have had my bike for a year in May, and the entire time I have had a bad gas fumes smell whl sitting still. I have had the carbs checked out by a buddy who is the mechanic at our local Honda dealer. he told me they were fine. This year it seems to be worse. I cant smell it at highway speeds, but when I come to a stop sign, it just about kills me. Any ideas?
The bike is an 85 Aspencade.

#8 ·
The good news is that's it's very simple and quick to adjust the air/fuel mix. Any idea when the plugs were new and when the carbs were synchronized? Any misfiring? Is the air filter new or in good shape? (If it can't breathe air, it'll breathe fuel.) "Just the facts, man, just the facts." (Dragnet)

#9 ·
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I will start with the plugs.... Dont know when they were replaced. I have had the bike for a year, and I know I have not replaced them. I had it in to the shop to have the carbs gone over, and he told me they didnt need it. Bike runs like a top, no misfiring or any other noises. Air filter was replaced last summer.

#10 ·
My money's on the cap or the breather based on what your mechanic says.

#13 ·
Had a fuel leak a few years ago, found a leak on the into side of the after market fuel filter. It was caused by a very small ridge of plastic the length of the input tube.
Used very fine sand paper to remove it. fixed the leak. Now when ever I replace the fuel filter, i check for that ridge and remove it before installing the filter.
This was on my 1500.

#14 ·
When I had my 82 GL1100 we (Tammy) and myself would always have that exaust smell after a ride. Check carefully that there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Ya sometimes it might be something that simple.

#15 ·
Pull the plastics off so that you can see the gas lines. Have a good look at all of the gas lines for a leak while there is pressure in the lines (with engine running). Pay a good look at the fuel filter for a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.