Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm confused!

65K views 99 replies 26 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 GL1800A. I want to try Rotella T6 at the next change. Here are my questions -

1. I have seen other posters talk about T6 10w-40. I have looked everywhere (including the Shell website) and all I can find is 5w-40. Is this the only T6 weight there is?

2. Assuming 5w-40 is the only weight, can I use this safely in my bike? As we all know. the manual calls for 10w-30 or 10w-40.

Your responses and opinions are welcomed.

#70 ·
Swe.... Just what do you get out of changing a cheap oil more often? waste of time, waste of money, killing an already fragile environment?

Those days of the BULLoney "change it often" are history.

What about the other benefits your cheap oil cannot provide.. Cooler oil temps which, even in a water cooled engine, benefits by reducing the load on the cooling system... Smoother shifting, fewer false neutrals, easier to find neutral, Anti-Rust and Oxidation Inhibitors, Specific Anti-Wear Additives for the transmission, less wear, higher ZDDP, polarized for cling and extended drain capability.

Let's take it right to Rotella... There was a gentleman who posted how great his analysis was on his Wing at just over 3000 miles. Most of the analysis was looking good except for the Viscosity which was 10.3 cSt or just 3/10's above a 20 weight and of course he used Blackstone which does not give TBN and I can't believe they didn't red flag it for viscosity. So much for cheap oil.

Cheap oil only pays in a vehicle that is a severe leaker or burner.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

#71 ·
This is just my opinion buts its backed up. Im not refuting what your saying its just amsoil isnt for everyone. I dont put that special no ethanol high octane gas in my gold wing either even though that makes them last longer and run better. I do use amsoil for a few here an there things but I think like an engineer and I make things as strong as they need to be when I build something, I don't see a reason to over engineer the simple task of changing your engine oil if someone wants the best i think they should pm you and get a case of amsoil . I just want to make a point that there is to much fussing about the engine and not enough about the rest of the bike. Try and sell some more fork oil so im not rebuilding the damn things all the time.
:D
If any thing could use extended change interval its those!

#78 ·
This is just my opinion buts its backed up. Im not refuting what your saying its just amsoil isnt for everyone. I dont put that special no ethanol high octane gas in my gold wing either even though that makes them last longer and run better. I do use amsoil for a few here an there things but I think like an engineer and I make things as strong as they need to be when I build something, I don't see a reason to over engineer the simple task of changing your engine oil if someone wants the best i think they should pm you and get a case of amsoil . I just want to make a point that there is to much fussing about the engine and not enough about the rest of the bike. Try and sell some more fork oil so im not rebuilding the damn things all the time.

If any thing could use extended change interval its those!
I fail to see how a product engineered to be The Best and actually save you money, improve shift quality of a cluncky tranny, run cooler..etc.. can be "Over engineered".

Take it another step. AMSOIL is safe to store on used oil where, "by the book" other oils should be changed before storage due to TBN depletion and lack of sufficient Anti-Rust and corrosion Inhibitors.

How many companies out there can you actually tell me who build a product so you have to buy less?

Yes, many items are over-looked on vehicles much less bikes. Fork oil should be changed every 2 years. FEW do it. Anti-Freeze should be changed every 2 years; Brake and clutch fluid should be bled EVERY Year and completely flushed the next year and NO open brake fluid should EVER be kept, it is garbage. Tire pressure should be checked weekly, oil should be checked every morning before riding.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

#72 · (Edited)
Doh!

What's that I hear? The heavy footsteps of Budoka-san approaching!:eek:

Nobody has made more mis-steps on this Forum than yours truly,:eek::eek: but they were not intentional or personal unless I felt personally sniped. Chillax, OK? We're only talking about motorcycle oil here!

Personally, I'm going to try Amsoil this fall. Figure I'll give it a try. Honestly, I don't think ANY of the major oil companies' products that are suited to our Wings spec-wise are going to destroy them. Just use whatever works for you.

#73 ·
Look, any oil filter out there cant deviate too such extreemes to burn the normal engine up. Purator filters are ok as any as long as it fits the motorcycle. Oh! I use the Bosch 3300 on my wing and its the best. I think its the best and I know its the best but thats just me. This particular forum, unfortunately, has a Amsoil rep doing everything he can to cut down anything thats not Amsoil. He makes his living with Amsoil Im sure. Don't let this individual tell you that the heart is the kidney of the filter and the heart and cheaper is not better and all that crap. Sorry thats just me...............

#79 ·
Your first statement is wrong.... You should not use a Pure One filter in a PowerSports application.

You better take a look at the ISO 4845-12 before making a statement like "I know it is the best"

This "AMSOIL Rep" is a little different... I don't say the things I do about AMSOIL to sell it. I sell AMSOIL because of the things I can say about it and have Since 1984... IF I find a better oil and, a better company, I will sell it.

Evidently, you think I am "just a salesman".. Again, you don't know me. I have built track champion race cars, I have built, owned, operated and sold 3 shops, managed several others and a Certified Tech.

I take oil classes every year to keep up with things and have Since 1984. How many have you taken?

Ok then I appoglize. Sorry but I will say Amsoil is not a top teir oil. Where do you figure it is a top teir? Expensive? Top teir there for sure!
AMSOIL is listed as a Top Tier oil.. It really makes no difference what you call it.

We are all waiting for you to produce ASTM Tests to show otherwise.

Sportbike magazine tested oils and they had one thing to say about AMSOIL.
"AMSOIL performed as stated"

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

#82 ·
Thanks fossil92 and Ron,Tatanka,W1nginit et al.
Let's all keep a civil tongue in our heads and leave the playground antics out of the discussions shall we?

#83 ·
Making an engine run cooler doesn't necessarily mean run better. If that were true why dont they fit massive oil coolers and radiators on bikes. It's my experience using many different kinds of oils synthetic and non synthetic and the only time I notice that my bikes shift better is if I use a lower winter rated oil.If somebody spends the extra money (double that of T6) it's likely that physiologically they will think ah this oil is better. If you have a chart where you measure vibration and jolts from the bike during shifting comparing different oils I'd gladly like to take a look at it.

As for over engineering like I said before I don't put race fuel with no ethanol in my bike and I'm going to assume nobody here goes that distance in terms of just getting fuel either.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#84 ·
You just took it from being reasonable to out of the ball park with the racing fuel comment.

Your engine will run better on racing fuel but the cost makes it an unreasonable cost for the gains.

We are talking taking an oil that has sheared out of grade in 3000 miles in an engine which is relatively easy on oil compared to others and comparing to an oil that will go 3 times as far for double the cost.

As long as someone does not have a K&N Air filter, runs the AMSOIL I recommend and the AMSOIL filter, I will guaranty it will go to at least 10,000 miles.

You are talking experienced riders here who know just how clunky the Wing and some other bikes shift. This is no placebo effect by any means. It is an obvious improvement. Right now, I would be willing to bet you have no experience with changing oil from anything to AMSOIL in a motorcycle much less a Wing.

I have tried different oils in my bikes, switched from oils in the bikes I have purchased, compared in customers bikes. I have had one customer out of thousands tell me that they didn't notice a difference. He emailed me again and recanted that with no contact from me.

AMSOIL is not the be-all, end-all cure to all situations.

Your statement/question about not putting coolers on bikes, comes back to the race fuel thing. Reasonable cost vs: benefit.

Do you really think they will spend the money when "it will do".. Why do you think years ago vehicles went from an oil pressure guage to an idiot light/guage that doesn't go off untill you have about 2 PSI? It was not because it was better, it was a cost saving measure.

That would be like saying the OEM says this Rated oil is necessary. Many people read that as "it's the best because that is what they recommend"... No... They are required by law to publish the Minimum Specs for oil and fuel. Not the best.

Every 10 degree drop in oil temp is a marked extension of the oils life. Personally, I like the idea of not having the cooling fan kick on as much in city traffic.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

#85 ·
Running race fuel in your Wing will be a long term detriment, and Honda will tell you that without hesitation. It may run better and more efficiently for a short time, but the damage to the valve train will take place in time (far faster than the 87 the Honda recommends you use for the GL engine). If that were the case we'd all be burning AV (100LL) in our road couch and not pump gas. But in reality the high test will burn the valves out rather quickly if used all the time.

#86 ·
I ran Yamaha 20w-50w water cooled/ motorcycle specific oil earlier this year as part on my winter oil change. In the heat of summer that 20w-50w really made for smooth gear shifting...... but..... when the temps got into the 50's, the starter would spin at times without engaging the flywheel. Live and learn.

#87 ·
i had been using castrol 4t 20w 50 in the 1500 all year ( until this year ) with no problems with tempature and it seems to work better in the 1200 wing than any other oil but has to be changed no later than 6000 miles regardless to which wing its in

#89 ·
i left the castrol 20w 50 in the 1500 wing all year but the 1200 wing had starter issues in cold weather. i tried amsoil 10w 40 in the 1500 wing and had mobil 1 10w 40 bike oil in it for the trip to frackville this year. i don't know what i'll use for my next oil change on the 1500 wing though. the 10w 40 mobile 1 and amsoil made for more valve noise on the 1200 wing

#90 ·
I'm not very bright but I think if an engine is introduced to oil # 1 and then oil #2 in the same controlled atmosphere ( ambient temp, etc ) and the engine runs cooler with oil # 1 then that engine is producing less friction. Period! ! Controlled atmosphere means nothing at all is different except the oil! ! Less friction equates to better fuel mileage, less vibration, less wear, smoother operation. Simple!

#91 ·
Just completed my oil change with good ole Amsoil. 8,000miles. I love the sound of a Wing on a fresh oil change.

#92 · (Edited)
Ill tell you how it is. The best oil out there is the oil you are using. My son has been told that the oil he is using is the best. My neighbor says his oil is the best. I joined this forum over a year ago and addressed this oil thread on my choice of oil and got some bad feed back on the subject. Mainly from some oil company sponsor's i must have offended because i may have took some of there business. Now i use the best oil at and get it most anywhere at very resonable price. Im 65 years old and rode and raced motorcycles for a period. I started riding when i was 13 years old. Any one who tells me i should run $13 a quart oil in any motorcycle has me confused with someone else.
I will say this one more time and will not address this oil thread again.
Go to the website; All About Oil; by Mark Lawrence i believe, and read what it says. At the end of the article, you will know more about oil and it will help you choose your personal oil. At near the end of the article the oil i have been using since 2002 is listed there. I wont tell you what it is , i want you to choose. Have a nice spring and summer.

#93 ·
The average guy doesn't get into the technical information and has his opinion based on his experience, doesn't mean that he knows more or less when it comes down to the nitty-gritty. I guess I look at it like this .... all of the oil companies have these educated chemist, engineers and brainiacs who are suppose to know all about oil, so they all claim to have the best, slickest, wear-resistant product on the market. Now, all of these geniuses have pretty much the same education having been given the same information in their chosen institution of higher learning, but yet their employer has the better product ( kinda reminds me of politicians ) and anyone who claims to know more or have better is dummer than a rock. I don't waste my time reading technical mambo-jumbo and I could care less what the other guy uses, all I know is what seems to work for me, one dinosaurs lard is just as good as another as far as I'm concerned. I think my dinosaur juice works good in my equipment and I use an old sock for a filter and if the other guy uses pantyhose for a filter because it works for him, then great as long as his wife understands ! I guess what I'm saying is we can read and listen to all of the so-called experts until one day we realize the processes and chemicals used in these products are no different from one brand to another and I don't work for your money so you spend it the way you like just as I will my money ! :United_States:

#98 ·
What works for me is not buying from a salesman that tries to belittle someone for voicing an opinion. I just told my wife last week that I was going to order from you in a few weeks, but since I can't rely on my judgement I won't be ordering anything. Thanks for helping me to avoid making a mistake .

#99 ·
Not belittling anyone. The gentleman above your post stated Opinion like it is fact..

Stop by the Dukes of Hazzard Reunion in Byron next weekend.. I won't have AMSOIL there as a friend of mine will be there but, I will be under a Blue tent with my polishing products. Look for "The Shine Doctor". We can have a chat if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.