Darksiders.... - Honda Goldwing Forums
 43Likes

post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Darksiders....

Hi all,
I have read so much about "darksiding" in here. Very few denounce it, though many more embrace it with almost reverence. I have an 06 wing which I think is the finest piece of machinery on the road. ( well...I might be just a little biased). I used to run Dunlop E3's but when I eventually tried Bridgestones, I thought it was a no brainer.
However, listening to all the darksiders raving on about their CT's has got me curious.
Some of my friends are horrified that I would even consider the idea, say things like, "You'd have to be an idiot to put a car tyre on a motorcycle." Then they go on to offer the arguments that you blokes have heard a thousand times.
I tried to buy a spare rear rim with a view to fitting a CT, and at least having a go at it, but there just wasn't one to be had. ( I live in Brisbane, Australia).
A friend of mine who has just joined this forum, "KimD", who has a new F6B can't wait to get his bike out of warranty so he can fit a CT.
I now this topic has been discussed before in here, but i cant find the old posts regarding this subject.
I notice a lot of the long term members in here are darksiders, and I've never heard ANYONE say anything bad against it.
My question, maybe not to you guys, but more to myself is, "Will I or wont I ?"
If I go CT on the back, what would I have to change my front tyre to, to make it match?
Cheers
Steiny from downunder

"A man has got to know his limitations"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Here is a thread of tmonials from Darkside riders: 1800 Darksiders ONLY . No, you don't have to change to something special on the front rim.

Lee, for now.

Last edited by Chopin; 04-07-2016 at 05:20 AM.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

I am one of those rare birds with a motorcycle tyre on my motorcycle. I've followed the car tyre crowd through some curvy roads and they look like they handle just as good as me. Pete ran away from me on some curves in Virginia last year, but I attribute that to his skill level. So they must be okay, I'm just not convinced they are better. Except for the lasting longer thing, now that is good.

I too switched to Bridgestone the last time I changed tyres. I like how they handle and they are quieter. I liked the Dunlop E-3's too. They handled well and I got 20,000 miles (32,000 K) out of a set three times.
fossil92 likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800/2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I really like the car tire on my 06, gives me a lot more meat on the ground.

Current ride
2006 GL1800 Arctic White
1995 1500SE
IDMWT #37
IBA #-50334
Darkside # 1644 Michelin Alpine PA3 ZP
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Cleet certified Firearms instructor since 1980
Concealed carry Firearms instructor
GWOF IB #2 With BIG KEN
Best stress reliever I ever bought until I had the blowout

Hero's dont wear capes, they wear DOG TAGS

Terry

Last edited by Hallct; 04-07-2016 at 05:34 AM.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

You anti-car tire riders kill me. You acknowledge the superior merits of a car tire and in the same paragraph state you're not convinced they are better. Then you state that one motorcycle tire is quieter than another brand. Well boys, the car tire is dead silent throughout its wear life.
Fatwing Chris and Hallct like this.

Lee, for now.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
You anti-car tire riders kill me. You acknowledge the superior merits of a car tire and in the same paragraph state you're not convinced they are better. Then you state that one motorcycle tire is quieter than another brand. Well boys, the car tire is dead silent throughout its wear life.
Let it go Crispian you won't get everyone.
budoka and Wingman77 like this.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017

Last edited by fossil92; 04-08-2016 at 04:34 AM.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
I am one of those rare birds with a motorcycle tyre on my motorcycle. I've followed the car tyre crowd through some curvy roads and they look like they handle just as good as me. Pete ran away from me on some curves in Virginia last year, but I attribute that to his skill level. So they must be okay, I'm just not convinced they are better. Except for the lasting longer thing, now that is good.

I too switched to Bridgestone the last time I changed tyres. I like how they handle and they are quieter. I liked the Dunlop E-3's too. They handled well and I got 20,000 miles (32,000 K) out of a set three times.
I've just been browsing the link that Chopin gave me about "Darksiders". What amazes me is the sort of miles you guys are getting out of your tyres. You are talking 23- 36k MILES, while I think I'm doing well to get 15k Kilometers out of mine. they either make better rubber over there or you have better roads, because I don't know of too many people who get that sort of mileage out of any tyre.
Would my mate void his new bike warranty if he went to a CT ? would you void yours in the USA ?
You have got me convinced. I have just fitted 2 new B'Stones to my bike, but when it's time to replace, I will give the dark side a go.
Thanks for the feedback
Cheers
Steiny from downunder

"A man has got to know his limitations"
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Darksiders....

No. A car tire has no influence on my warranty. This could be an individual thing, however. My local Honda shop deal with many Goldwing riders on car tires. It would not benefit their business to find fault with them. And yes, they do take those Wings out for a test ride after they are fixed. I'll post a picture of my car tire with , give or take, 18,000 miles on it.

Lee, for now.

Last edited by Chopin; 04-07-2016 at 06:12 AM.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Steiny I agree with Chopin, that shouldn't be an issue. If your friend is concern just have him put the M/T back on before he has a warranty processed. However not sure how your dealers react down under.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

The Honda dealers around here could give a hoot what kind of tire/tyre is on the bike.
Has nothing to do with warranty at all.

I changed from an E3 on the back of my bike to a Michelin Primacy Alpin simply because when the roads are wet, the E3 will not stay hooked to the pavement.
everytime I tried to add power, it slid out sideways.

This is because the E3 does not have any rain sipes in the tread design. Whereas the Michelin Primacy Alpin tread design is specifically design for such use.

For me, it is a no brainer. I am using a wider profile PVT for safety.
PVT is Passenger Vehicle Tire.... that term is now used to get away from the so called connotation that a tire is made only for a certain type of vehicle, which is hog wash.
Tatanka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode