" NEW " 2010 GL1800 tire cupping....? - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

" NEW " 2010 GL1800 tire cupping....?

I have had my NEW 2010 Gold Wing now for just over a month and have put 5,300 Km's on it. The bike is new, as in I bought it new..."first owner"... and now after just 5,300 Km's which in my books is nothing...I am already feeling tire cupping...WTF...is this all about...??? My 2004 VT750 Shadow would get this AFTER I have done like 18,000 Km's on it...that is when it would start to cup...!

At this rate...the way the front tire feels...I am going to have to change it at like 15,000 Km or there abouts. My VT750...well I would get 35,000 to 43,000 Km tire life out of my tires....so having tire cupping at 5,000 some Km's....well....I am pissed off to say the least...!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

if you just purchased the bike i would take it back to the dealerand show them the tire

'75cb750k '84 gl1200 aspencade
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Tire cupping is due most commonly to imbalance or low tire pressure.
This applies if the cupping is across the tire.
If the tire cupping is only on one side, then your steering head bearings are loose. (I doubt it on a new machine)

I suggest rechecking the tire pressure, installing 2 oz of Dyna Beads in each tire, and remove all weights. This should fix the problem.

Robert
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Tire pressure is right on....that was the first think I checked. Rear tire if just fine...its only the front tire. When you run your hand over the tire...you can feel the cupping starting in. And yes its on the side...and you know what...I do not ride it hard or drop it into the twisties and so on....so I am little lost as to WHY its doing this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Tyres ?

Just as a point of interest, and not wanting to open another can of worms ..... What tyres are fitted to your bike ?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM

It's unusual that your steering head bearings are causing this at this low mileage. Normally, it happens at about the 14K - 15K range, like mine is now. As a solution to this, I'm having a dealer install a tapered roller bearing kit that's made exclusively to fix this problem.

Honda knows very well that this is a problem, and they also know that installing tapered roller bearings will fix it, but they refuse to warranty it unless new roller bearings are installed by the dealer, which guarantees the problem will occur again later on.

The kit is from All Balls, and costs $40.00. Here's the info.
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/1...Balls%2Fmfg%2F

This will fix your cupping provided it's installed correctly.
Mine will be installed by B&L Trikes in Des Moines, Iowa.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

We are all " pissed " with the performance of the tires on this bike. Many of us ride on crappy, albeit usable , tires for many miles after the cupping is evident. I have Metzelers ME880's on front and rear. Rear has about 10,000 + miles on it and front has about 4,000 miles. Needless to say the rear is ridable but cupped pretty badly. Coasting it in neutral down the driveway I can feel the bump! bump ! bump ! Little wonder that some of us are, and many have already done, looking into car tires for these bikes. It's a touring bike and it needs touring tires.

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/R16 car tire. Lee
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have the stock tires it came with, the Bridge Stone G 702 or some such number like that on them. All I can say is....." I AM NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL...!!! ".
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Honda knows very well that this is a problem, and they also know that installing tapered roller bearings will fix it, but they refuse to warranty it unless new roller bearings are installed by the dealer, which guarantees the problem will occur again later on.

Ok....if Honda knows about this....and KNOW that tapered bearings will fix this problem...then " WHY " are they refusing to warranty it....and just replace it with the same bearings....that are the "cause" of the problem in the first place.....?

Sound to me like a great case for a " class action law suit " to me...! I mean really...I dump this much $$$$$ on a bike...and I get this sort of crap. Something is really wrong with this picture.....would you not say..?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
if you just purchased the bike i would take it back to the dealerand show them the tire
Its not major...however when I got the bike...it was to quite...now it HOWLS in corners....from the tires. And when you run your hand over it....its not smooth...you can feel the cupping on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode