To change or not to change - Honda Goldwing Forums
 14Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To change or not to change

So my new to me 1988 GL1500 has Dunlop tires on that are in good shape. Normally I would ride them out without a question but the manufacture date is 2007. That makes me hesitant.

The guy I bought it from has owned her since 2006 when he bought her from a local dealer I know. He in turn always had her serviced by that same dealer. The seller had heart trouble and a pacemaker installed and she sat for 16 months before he decided he had to let her go to a new owner. I got a great deal with the promise I would send pictures of my adventures from time to time.

With that story told, would you get those tires changed immediately? I'm not planning to make any big trips any time soon. I broke my ankle and am in a cast for 2 more weeks. After that I'll be taking it easy and just getting to know the bike a bit.

Also, anybody have opinions on the Kendra tires? I've heard bad about Shinko but Kendra seems to be fairly popular among my local riding friends.
Weege likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
1st thing is, normally I would probably myself be inclined to ride the tires out but there are many variables in that choice. You mention getting used to the bike and taking it easy, additionally recovering from injury. If it was me with that in mind, additionally your hesitant thoughts I would change them.

Now for the Kendra question. The trike I own now had a Kendra on the front when I bought it. It was new. The front tire on a trike is susceptible to extremely hard use as opposed to a regular bike. So what I tell you has to be taken with that in mind. The Kendra was shot with about 5K on it.

Since you plan to ride in a fairly non aggressive manner I would say they will be fine. I would not expect the same mileage you can get out of others however they will work. Mine did.

For comparison on my old 95 (two wheeled) I would get right around 20K out of a sets of Dunlop E3's

Hope this helps

One final thought Stay away from Shinkos in this Ole Fossil's opinion
Christey Gibson likes this.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Garage
Ditto what was said above.

While the tires may be fine, the compounds degrade over time. If you're riding calm straight roads, yes, you'll probably be fine. But if you get aggressive in corners AT ALL, my bet is you won't have the traction you would with the same tires brand new.

I'm a big believer that the most important thing between the biker and the road is his tires.....and the one thing on a bike I don't question or take for granted over pretty much all other factors.

And if not for my piece of mind....the piece of mind knowing that my wife is on the back 98% of the time.

2017 Goldwing Audio Comfort - "Bruiser"
2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000ABS - "Damien"
2016 Kaw KLR560 - "Dusty"
2009 HD Ultra Classic - "Gem"
I'm about the ride...not the brand.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Not worth the risk, replace them, they have dated out. It is worse than riding on a bald tire, it is not about traction at all, it is about TIRE FAILURE. Tire Failure on a bike at best is a roadside stop and inconvenience, at worst it is a trip to the hospital, not worth the risk, for what a new set of tires cost it will be far less than your co-pays and deductibles. It doesn't matter if you are going in a straight line or on the curves, if you do any speeds above 25mph then I would replace them.
budoka, alwims and Christey Gibson like this.

Ed
2010 Gold Wing "Vader"
2010 FJR13 "Mackenzie"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_lone_rider View Post
Not worth the risk, replace them, they have dated out. It is worse than riding on a bald tire, it is not about traction at all, it is about TIRE FAILURE. Tire Failure on a bike at best is a roadside stop and inconvenience, at worst it is a trip to the hospital, not worth the risk, for what a new set of tires cost it will be far less than your co-pays and deductibles. It doesn't matter if you are going in a straight line or on the curves, if you do any speeds above 25mph then I would replace them.
+1 What the Lone Rider just said
alwims and Christey Gibson like this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_lone_rider View Post
I bought a car that sat for quite a while but the tires were over 10 years old with only 7000 miles on them. The compounds had hardened to the point that normal driving the tires would spin or I would slide around a corner that I had no business sliding around on.

Replaced the tires with very similar tires and I went from a skating rink to a roller coaster.

While concern of failure is of primary concern, the belts of the tires don't degrade like the exposed rubber compounds. Sitting for extended periods hardens the compounds and takes away ALOT of cornering traction....even at more relaxed speeds.

In aged tires that would be my biggest concern and why I would replace them poste-haste.
Christey Gibson likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Garage
Here's the thing about rubber. (I spent my career in the plastics and compounding manufacturing industry so I have some knowledge here)

As was discussed in another thread not long ago about a nail piercing the rubber....if it doesn't penetrate the steel belts its likely just cosmetic damage. That being said, on a motorcycle I'd replace it anyway.

With a tire thats a decade passed its Mfgr date and more importantly, in storage, the belts are unaffected (unless the environmental conditons are so absolutely terrible that everything in storage is affected) and you could likely ride on the tire for several hundred if not several thousand miles depending on the tread remaining.

The problem is, rubber degrades over time. The elements harden the rubber. Instead of a nice soft compound to grab asphalt in a turn, you have a hardened compound that will slide.

A couple example to make the point. (Yes, I know its different rubber...but the effect is still the same)

Take a rubber bouncy ball you get from a quarter vending machine. When you get it....it bounces all over the place. Now....let that ball sit untouched in your garage for a year and drop it in one hand with a brand new ball in the other. The old ball will have lost probably....20%-50% of its ability because the rubber has degraded.

Take pool table bumpers....they need to be replaced probably....every 7-10 years (depending on the quality). Why? Because the rubber hardens in even a controlled environment and they become "dead".

The same goes true for tires. While a blowout is a concern.....the primary concern is the tires not grabbing the concrete.

For what its worth......
dsurley likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Garage
I've seen riders do some really stupid (and dangerous) things relating to tires. From 15 year old ones to tires that had belts sticking through the carcass to cracked sidewalls and even in the tread blocks. I was at a national GWRRA rally in Canmore, AB some 25+ years back and an older gent from Oklahoma was camped next to me. His 1100 Aspy had such a bald rear tire the cords were showing. I asked him if he was planning to get a new tire at the vendor booth on the rally grounds. His reply? " No way, tires are half the price at home; I'll just go slow and I'll be fine."
Now that's an extreme example, but it just points to how foolish riding on a sketchy tire(s) could be. What about rain slick roads? What about puncture resistance? Emergency maneuvering capability? Like Don mentioned, loss of traction is a very real and deadly possibility. I don't mean to preach but change 'em. And yes, avoid "stinko's" and I have serious misgivings about the Kendras as well. On a 1500 I'd stick with E3's or maybe the new compound E4. Dunlops served me well on my 1500.
DonRubicon likes this.

GEEZER IN TRAINING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christey Gibson View Post
--------------
Also, anybody have opinions on the Kendra tires? I've heard bad about Shinko but Kendra seems to be fairly popular among my local riding friends.
Just last summer I was riding a ZG1200 Kawasaki Voyager, had not yet bought my 'wing. I put Kenda Kruz on it for tires (frt. & rear). I rode 11,000 miles on those tires before buying the 'wing in late Aug.. I now have that bike for sale, but the tires probably have several thousand miles of life left in them.

So I have a fairly positive opinion of the Kenda Kruz considering the fairly low cost.

PS. the front is slightly starting to cup @ 11K.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII(SOLD), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, IDMWT #89, AVA member #6393
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Kenda Kruz tires with 11,000 miles of wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenda Kruz frt. 11K.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	223450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenda Kruz rear 11K.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	223458  

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII(SOLD), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, IDMWT #89, AVA member #6393
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode