Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

80K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  dsurley 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings all, My new 09 GW1800 is nearing 10K - has factory Dunlops. I'm a bigger guy with a big Spouse and Kids. Towing long distances too. Starting to get a lot of growling and semi-cupping on the back. Looking for advance info before "the time comes" to replace.

What's "the best for the above issues? I've heard Dunlop 400 series.

Thanks, ProfsTel

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Profs from the Keystone state and congrats on your 09 Wing. Lots of choices out there. (Dunlop, Metzler, Avon, Bridgestone and others). Everyone has an opinion on the best one.. If you check the websites you can find the weight limits for each and go from there. From what I can see on other forums most like either the Dunlop or Bridgestone. I've not had to replace mine yet, but on my 98 GL1500 whenever I had to replace them I went with the OEM tires that came with the bike. Your choice, your $$. Do some research and good luck. Ride safe..

• Helpful
Reactions: Admin
#6 ·
the load rating for the dunlop 400 tires is too low for a fully loaded wing. funny thing about dunlop e3 tires is the ones on my 1200 don't make any noise and the e3's on my 1500 only make noise sometimes. i thought it was pavement related but even going to and from work ( i take the same route ever day ) there noisy one trip and not the next

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Kurtski.I have an 06 1800 also and just love it. A lot of guys in here are really long-time owners of wings, it would seem and I would like to ask all of you one question. Why is the tranny (or engine) so whiney?

It's really the only thing I don't like about my bike. The previous owner upgraded to a new wing and he told me they are all the same, including his brand-new one. Does anyone else have this complaint, or should I just put a throatier exhaust system on it and turn up the CD volume?

Cheers
Graham from Downunder

#11 ·
Hi Kurtski.I have an 06 1800 also and just love it.A lot of guys in here are really long time owners of wings,it would seem and i would like to ask all of you one question.Why is the tranny (or engine) so whiney ?
its really the only thing i dont like about my bike.the previous owner upgraded to a new wing and he told me they are all the same,including his brand new one.does anyone else have this complaint, or should i just put a throatier exhaust system on it and turn up the CD volume ?
Cheers
Graham from Downunder
'08 here and I have a bit of tranny whine, especially in the lower gears, at low rpm's. Had a Honda 1300 that gave me the whine also. It also had stock exhaust. It's a Honda thing.

#12 ·
I was going to wait until next year to replace the front but it is going downhill fast. I can feel the wobble when I " push " the bike in the driveway. Not to be a renegade, but my choice will either be the Metz ( to compliment my rear tire ) or the Stones. I like the shop I patronize and my method is to give them my preferred choices and let them decide.

#14 ·
The Best Tires For Your Bike

Rider Magazine's March 2011 issue has a very good article on Motorcycle tires. Intersting to note is that Bridgestones are OEM tires on GoldWings, except in the USA where Dulops are used.

After studying the different tire brands, I think I'm going with Bridgestone when the time comes. I used Metzlers on my Triumpn Rocket, they were fine. My last Kawasaki Voyager came with Bridgestones, they ran an estimated 9300 miles before I changed them. (Still had thread left, but I had another 3000 miles left on my trip so better safe than sorry.)

Read the article, make up you own minds. Please note, the info supplied on each tire is provided by the manufacturer...and we all know they don't lead biker down the garden path. :)
T-Rex

#15 ·
I have E3's front and back on my 08 now. I am near 15K miles and still have some tread left. They are noisy but I can't fault the tire at all. Great mileage. I have several friends that run the stones and they say they are noisy in turns as well so I don't know what I will do next.

#16 ·
I've got no complaints with my stock Dunlop D250's. I bought another wheel and tyre from a trike conversion, so I won't be changing brands anytime soon. should be good for another two years now. Was seriously considering the Avons though. The back is going to go before the front, so when I swap wheels I may have a new tyre put on the front anyway, that way when I need a new rear in a couple years, I may go Avon then. Not going to worry for a while though.

#17 ·
I liked the stock rear but the front started to cup right away. Didn't matter what I ran for air pressure. I put up with it till I had 10K on it then it was worn out enough to toss. The rear seemed ok right up till I had a tread separation at 8800 miles. When that happened it was like riding a paint shaker down at the local hardware store. I put the E3's on it and now have more than 25K on the bike. The tires are good for me.

#18 ·
Went through the Dunlop 250's on my 10 wing at about the same mileage as you. After reading a lot of comments here and on other sites I went with Bridgestones. I have about 400 miles on them and so far so good- the bike handles great and the tires are quiet. I used to feel like the wing always wanted to stand up in corners , not anymore.
Hope this helps.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
10k miles is very good for an 1800 from what I know, front or back. I have minor/barely visible cupping on my front at 8k miles andI'm not concerned (yet). My rear tire is fine. the general concensus is 'stones' are a bit better, but I won't know for a good while since I have another D250 to wear off after this season or close to it. I'll run another D250 front when I do that, then it's either 'stones or Avons, jury's still out and it may come down to whatever deal I get from which supplier I have at the time.

Lone Rider I have TorqueMasters on my '09 and luv em. A couple riders have the Cobras and seem happy too. You have to be sure you want more sound though, because one of the most aluring traits of the GL is it's quiet note. Be careful what you wish for, a louder Wing isn't for everyone, but I luv mine!:cool:

#23 ·
I ran the factory Stones for 17,000 km's then switched to the E 3's. They were fine in the dry but in the wet, frigging horrible!! I did however get 20,000 km's from them. I am now running Brigestone Excedra Max Z/R . At $265.00 taxes in at Pocatelo Power Sports for both they are a winner. Performance in the wet is very good and in the dry, execeptional !!! I have 10,000 km's on them now and they are wearing fine. I will NEVER run the E 3's again unless I am living in Death Valley.

#24 ·
Had Metz and was happy with their performance. They are " considered " by some to be soft tires which means they grip the road. I had about 12,000 on the rear and it was still road worthy, albeit noisy. Replaced with a Kuhmo Run Flat car tire. The front had 7,000 miles on her but picked up a screw, replaced with a 'Stone 709. Right now I'm running on new tires and it of course feel good.

#25 ·
Jeez, I always seem to be in the minority. With the new wing, this is my first experience with Bridgestones. Leaving my dealer today, 2 consecutive left turns at 2 consecutive intersections and the bike got squirrely over the tar snakes, don't recall ever feeling those before on the 15 with E3's. I'm still a little uneasy on the bike in the rain as well, not sure if it's the new bike (4.5K) or the tires. Never had a real cause to complain about Dunlops, Ran 491's on the 12, stock dunlops on the 96 and E3's on the 2000, never hesitated on a normal road surface wet or dry! Not sure what kind of milage I'll get out of the stock stones, but the E3's I saw at Gene's Gallery looked like they had a ton of meat on them. Other than the stones being OEM on the bike, it will take some convincing for me NOT to go back to the Dunlop E3.:rolleyes:

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
I'll be mounting my OEM D250 and replacement rim sometime next year. and will go with another D250 for the front at the same time. I have little to no complaints with the handling, wear, or ride and I've been in some torrential rains with them. If I didn't have the already mounted spare, I'd likely opt for the 'stones that the 2012's come with. I also have heard that the Avon Cobras are pretty well recieved too.

#28 ·
if you are not talking the '18 newer 1800s

195-55R16........... pick what ever you like best

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.