GL1500 - A Question About Coolant - Honda Goldwing Forums
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
GL1500 - A Question About Coolant

I understand that we should only use silicate-free coolant in Wings due to the possible damage to water pump seals. I've read posts where some recommend using Honda brand coolant.

Is this because Honda coolant is known to be silicate-free or is there another justification? I checked my Wing service manual and it merely states to use 'ethylene glycol coolant'.

2006 VTX 1300S
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate

Visit me at:
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Lifetime Premium
Yes you must you a Silicate free Antifreeze. Any Antifreeze with the Silicates in it will make the seal leak. And that if about $200.00 for the new pump. I use Honda because it comes premixed. After replacing one water pump, I decided not to chance it. I under stand there are other Silicate free coolants out the but I'll just stick with the Honda brand for now.
From the Northwest Corner
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to rigginray6
That is good info!! Thanks Ron!!

1992 1500 INTERSTATE
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Pulled one of the GL1500 Service Manuals and it does state to refill with a mixture of ethylene glycol antifreeze (formulated for Aluminum Engines) and distilled water. No silicates, as it ruins the water pump and clogs the orifices in the water jacket. You can also use the Honda Automobile coolant too.

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Lifetime Premium
Back in 97 I put Pres tone in my 93 made a 2500 mile trip to Wyoming a couple days after I got back the water pump started leaking. The Owners Manual for the 93 doesn't say anything about it having to be Silicate free. If I'm not mistaken most Antifreeze is 'ethylene glycol.
I remember there were a lot of guys in one of the Cycle Magazines that were up set because there was no mention of Silicate Free in the owners manual and it cost them a new water pump.
From the Northwest Corner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM

Honda does not make antifreeze.
Don't know who makes it but when in doubt stick to OEM.

Silicates are actually scrubbing agents that scrub the inside walls of everywhere fluids go. It is a terrific thing except on plastic and seals. It will also scrub the plastic thru if given long enough.

As for alternatives, Prestone extended life is silicate free. My 96 Silverado has the very same requirement.

Your bike, you decide.

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abe Lincoln
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
I have always used Honda products (oil/gear/filters/coolant, etc) on my Wings. There may be better products out there, but what's a couple of extra $$ compared to a $20k motorcycle. JMHO

2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not take from somebody else.

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much. (Ronald Reagan)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I agree with two wheel wing. Honda coolant is under $4.00 a quart and it takes 4 qts. so for $16.00 once every two years why chance anything else.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have the Honda part # for that coolant?
I have a 1987 Interstate and am replacing the hoses and flushing the cooling system...distilled water of course.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Here ya go: 08C50-C321S01

I don't really care what you ride as long as it doesn't spend more time at the local Starbucks than on the road.
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode