85 1200 Goldwing Alt. Conversion or not?? Opinions please - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb 85 1200 Goldwing Alt. Conversion or not?? Opinions please

Hi All,
I'm Ben and new to the forum as well as a new (used) 85 GL 1200 Interstate. My first ever Wing and man I love it!! And to boot a pretty clean bike at 25 years of age, 53,000 miles. I want this project done by March and ready for the summer. I'll be pulling most all of the aftermarket stuff as I'd like to make the bike as much original as possible EXCEPT for my charging system it'snot putting any voltage at all at any rpm. I was by trade a mechanic for ford for around 30 years, so I know wrenches and tools, a big plus in my mind here.

The motor on the bike looks pretty easy to pull with the sub=frame Honda offered on this model, should I decide to go back with a new stator but from what I'm hearing and reading these stators seem to go out a lot in 84-87 models. So I'm thinking of going ahead with the mods needed and do the "Alt. Conversion Kit". These conversions I think look pretty cool and down the road should it go bad, it would be a much easier fix. I have acess to a welder, all tools needed (Pretty sure) and I live in a very small town with lots of auto salvage yards for parts like small brackets and the Alt.

So what my question is, does anyone know the cost of the kits offered on the net?
And what do you think? which way would you go? Either way will be done cleanly and with much care.

I'm looking forward to someone saying, Nice Bike! and be able to say thank you, that bike's 25 years old!!

Thanks everyone and Happy NEW YEAR!!!!

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 AM

There is a lot of info on web on this subject. There was a posting here, I think in the last week. Google it, I think it was something like "Poor ' ? ' Alternator". Maybe some here will help out, can't remember exact name.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Hi Carl,
I'm sure that would have been me that brought the subject up in the new members section where I indtoduced myself and my new project, I ask about it there and thought I'd start a thread about the conversion in the proper place, "Engine Work". The name of the company mentioned before was "poorboy alternator conversion" and yes the links are loaded with good info. There may be others that offer the conversion???

I was just wondering if others out there in GW world have tried the conversion and if so are they pleased or wish they had just replaced the stator? What I wish is that the other 85 Wing stators with higher am ratings would fit my Interstate, like the ones that have many, many more buttons and options. Like the ltd models. I'm sorry but I'm not sure of the names on the higher end models that do have the higher output Alt.

I'm just pretty much looking for the best way to go to cut down on the same problem in the future.

Thank You for the reply!! Just a Happy new (used) Goldwing owner asking a bunch of questions and wanting to be ready to RIDE this spring on a nice and good running Wing!!...

Thanks again,
Ben
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Well Guys, I've sent an e-mail to the address on the link with poorboy conversion kits last night asking about pricing info and so on. I've not had a reply so far, does anyone know if the kit is offered anywhere on the market for sale?

Thanks,
Ben
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

don will reply to your email, just give him a chance. when i emailed him he replied back in a day or two

'75cb750k '84 gl1200 aspencade
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Hi Ben . I have experience with both removing the engine and replacing the stator and a poor boy alternator set-up. I too was a auto mechanic (look at my profile), In my opinion replacing the stator would be the easiest and most cost effective way to fix the problem. The reason it burned up was proably the battery went bad and overworked the charging system. There is a Aftermarket stator availiable and the job to pull the engine isn't too bad , I mean it's a lot of crap but if you are a little set up ,air tools etc , you can do it in a afternoon. The poor boy alternator drives a alt off the camshaft via a belt which looks cumbersome and the cams are too slow to spin a alt that are supposed to spin fast ,Think of the pulley sizes on regular cars. I'll look for the stator and get back with you. Rob
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
don will reply to your email, just give him a chance. when i emailed him he replied back in a day or two

Hi Buzzard,

I had an e-mail from Donald come in Monday just after making the post above. He sent pictures of all parts in the kit. Pulley, two Brackets, bolts and so on but the alt used in the conversion (Not included) was from a Geo Metro 3 cly. car. ( I think that's what it was?) I kinda have a feeling that alt. may be pretty pricey to replace should my first have problems. Even found a rebuilt GM newly chromed (Even the cooling fins) alt. for 89 bucks. I was hoping for a GM internal reg. type alt. EASY FIND!. Just the bolt up kit listed above was over 200.00 plus belts, shipping and the Alt. lus I'd much rather have a kit (should I decide to go that way) that runs right off the crankshaft, not the camshaft..

Thanks very much for the reply but I think I'll dig a little further before I decide on which way to go here. But in all honestly I need to get something done pretty quick, kinda stuck in my rebuild until this is ironed out, I'm ready to GO!!.

Oh and either way the motor would be pulled for a good cleaning and adding some chome parts and also polishing which would be much easier with the motor out. Check seals and so on.

Regards,
Ben
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdog View Post
Hi Ben . I have experience with both removing the engine and replacing the stator and a poor boy alternator set-up. I too was a auto mechanic (look at my profile), In my opinion replacing the stator would be the easiest and most cost effective way to fix the problem. The reason it burned up was proably the battery went bad and overworked the charging system. There is a Aftermarket stator availiable and the job to pull the engine isn't too bad , I mean it's a lot of crap but if you are a little set up ,air tools etc , you can do it in a afternoon. The poor boy alternator drives a alt off the camshaft via a belt which looks cumbersome and the cams are too slow to spin a alt that are supposed to spin fast ,Think of the pulley sizes on regular cars. I'll look for the stator and get back with you. Rob

Robdog, THANK YOU!!!! Please let me know what you find. I'll be pulling the motor out either way for a good cleaning and so on. I'm set up with air-tools and all work will be done inside a heated garage. It's just that when I finish this project I'm hoping it ends my problems. There will be a aftermarket volt meter installed also so I can keep a good eye on the charging system. The inside of my fairing where gauges should be like Charging System, I see nothing on the 85 interstate and having never owned a Goldwing I'm not sure what's missing or should be on a stock bike from the factory. If anyone can post a picture of the inside area of the fairing showing what It should look like (Gauges and warning lights) would be a HUGE HELP!!!

Again, THANK YOU and let me know what you locate!

Regards,
Ben
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Hi Ben heres the site for your stator .http://www.electrosport.com/products...detail-416.php . I don't think those wings had a gauge or any warning light . I had this problem with my 96 , when it shut down dead at a intersection with no voltage and several hundred miles from home. I got a compufire alt for my wing it's a 10 minute job to replace one on a 1500. After that I installed a heads up voltage monitor I bought from chrome world. It's a small led that is green at 12-15v yellow 11-12v red 10-11, flashing red below 10v ,flashing green above 15v ,About 40.00. Real simple to install and i don't want to look for a gauge while my gps is connected to the internet via bluetooth. No distractions please im ridin.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdog View Post
.... The poor boy alternator drives a alt off the camshaft via a belt which looks cumbersome and the cams are too slow to spin a alt that are supposed to spin fast ,Think of the pulley sizes on regular cars. I'll look for the stator and get back with you. Rob
Not true! The "Poorboy" conversion uses a pulley attached to the crank. Robdog must be referring to the Dupliplex alternator conversion, that one runs off of the cam and does look problematic.

Combat flyer, you can download free repair manuals for your 1200 at this place, all you have to do is register.

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/

And this link is to a forum that is dedicated just to the GL1200, where you will find a thread about the alternator conversion, among many other helpful topics.

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/index.php

The beauty of the external alternator is that if it goes bad on you while you are on a road trip you can usually get it fixed or replaced a lot easier, being the engine has to come out for the stator change. Also, it allows you to run more electrical gadgets without worrying about the charging system not being able to keep up with the load.

kwatts
85 GL1200 Interstate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode