Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition misfire when hot

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Gus Riley 
#1 ·
I recently acquired my holy grail motorcycle. And it ran fine in Northern Nevadas cooler weather, but now, in Vegas, after about an hour or so in extreme heat it misfires like its running out of fuel. I pull over and wait for about !0 minutes then it will restart and carry on for a few more miles. I poured water over the top of the plenum and it cooled down enough to get me home. After parked in the garage I noticed a significant fuel smell. There is almost 80k on the engine and im sure it has sat for a long while at one point. Does any one have any ideas on where to start looking? I would rather not just start tearing into it blind. With my luck i would be opening a can of worms. Thanks for any help!
David

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Dave. I am not familiar with that year bike, but I would suggest checking the vent for your fuel tank to make sure it is not plugged. There will be some knowledgeable folks along soon to give you some real help.

#3 · (Edited)
I had a similar thing happen on my 87 1200. Replaced the fuel filter and the problem went away until the fuel pump went out 3 weeks later. I almost forgot, run a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and see if that helps. Put the whole can in and run about 100 miles or more then let it set over night. Clears up a lot of problems on the older carberated engines.

#5 ·
Put a spare spark plug in your pocket and when it miss fire, stop and pull the spark plug leads off and put the spare plug in. If you have weak spark on each side of the motor. Chase that lead back to the coil and replace it.
If all plugs have good spark....................it is time to put seaform in to make sure the fuel system is clean. Replace the fuel filter and if it still run rough crack the fuel cap. Replace vaccum hoses. I am out of ideas now.............good luck with it.

#6 ·
I'd also check the voltage running through the EFI system. You never know....since it seems to be a heat related problem there may be a module with a hairline fracture that opens up enough with heat to cause the misfire. No I'm not sure if there is such a module on the EFI but just in case.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok maybe a fix...in researching the forums for the same issue(s) one forum poster wrote that he had once poured cold water on the fuel line right where it enters the fuel pump. He stated that the engine leveled out and ran well or much better. I got to thinking, maybe a hose of some sort could be routed to that fuel hose section and cool it somewhat with ram air? I did just that. I took some aircraft air cooling hose(scat hose) and routed it. At 83 degrees and humid it WORKED!!! I test rode for half an hour. I could bring the engine close to red line and it never missed a beat...not once. After my test ride I shut it down and felt the fuel line at the fuel pump...I could comfortably touch it no problem...as before it was hot! So I am waiting for a 90 degree plus day to test it again. It isn't pretty, but it really isn't too awful looking either.

I cannot seem to post pictures of my possible fix. PM me and maybe I can provide pictures.
Pictures can also be seen at

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15453&p=80572#p80572

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.