Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas cap problem

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Straydog 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the gas cap lock not turning? My buddy has a 2005 1800r and he can't get the cap off. The key won't turn at all. Pushing down on the cap doesn't help. We sprayed some liquid graphite and that didn't help. This has been going on for quite a while now and it always eventually opened. Today, no luck. Two different keys didn't help either. Is it time for a dealer/locksmith visit?

#2 ·
Is the key going in all the way? I was having a problem with the cap on one of my bikes and there was something down inside the lock.

#3 ·
It seems like the key is going all the way in. We used two different keys with no luck. Both work in the ignition but......I had the same thought as you. We tried to take the "dash" off of the tank but the cap needs to be removed to do that.

#4 · (Edited)
If I'm remembering correctly ?????? On my 1300 the gas cap had to be depressed along with turning the key. Those two spring loaded catches may need a bit of lube once you get it out. I do recall that I put one of those leather tank bibs on and that caused me to depress the cap more to get it to latch in the hole.

#7 ·
Just curious why you have a "locking" gas cap? Or are you talking about the gas cap door??

#8 ·
Vtx

On the VTX the cap comes off. It's not a door.

Anyway, it's now fixed. Dealer wanted $110 for a new one. They woudn't help get the old one off though. Locksmith wanted $150 to drill it out to get it off. Called another locksmith and he said bring the bike in. He used the key and WD40 and kept working it for about 45 minutes. Finally it started to turn. After it released and came off he took it apart and cleaned it and put it back together. Works like a charm now. Total cost? $10...turned out to be a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.