Heated Grips plug in question - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Heated Grips plug in question

I'm thinking of ordering Show Chrome heated grips kit for my 08' without OEM heated grips. Does anyone know if there would be a plug for the OEM heated grips on models w/o the comfort package?

Thanks
YV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

That's a good question. Let's investigate. I posed the question to some gurus. We wait for a response.

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/R16 car tire. Lee

Last edited by Chopin; 11-18-2011 at 06:18 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

i thought about heated grips for the 1500 wing but got electric gloves insted cause i can use the gloves on almost any bike

'75cb750k '84 gl1200 aspencade
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
That's a good question. Let's investigate.
I read in a product review that someone posted, that after 06' Honda stopped putting in the plug if you didn't have the heat option.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellovette View Post
I read in a product review that someone posted, that after 06' Honda stopped putting in the plug if you didn't have the heat option.
I'll wait for confirmation on that.

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/R16 car tire. Lee
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

First response so far : " Nope, the only plug you have is under the left fairing pocket. Only the 01-05 bikes have the power plug on the right side. I believe EC has a pigtail harness that you can plug into the left side and bring the power to the right side where the kit will want it to be ".

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Second response, same rider :" If you don't have a CB, you could do a little modifying and use it's power plug, it's just laying around with power on it from the same accessory relay. "

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM

The wire harness is different on the comfort package than the base model. But putting heated grips on is no big deal, Just wire them to a relay then power the relay by the accessory terminal on the fuse box. The ones for the Gold Wing with the comfort package will not work on the base model.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 PM

I have a 2009 model fully optioned because we only have 2 options in OZ, Basic or Fully optioned . I had to take my bike back after 3 months because one of the hand grips weren't working. It took the dealer 2 days to replace and when i saw what was involved I cringed. vertually all the front and dash was removed because one side of the plug was situated in the middle of the bike. Haven said that if your 2008 model is not equipped with heated handles then what Joe in Calif said is good to go and much easier to do.

Like a great man once sang in his song Quote " Life is whats happening to you while your busy making other plans ".
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Andy posts this :" I powered my aftermarket heated grip through a relay that was fused and got its power straight from the battery and the switching current to the relay I got from the Aux post on the oem fuse block in order that the heated grip would never be ON unless the ignition was turned on. All of my many aftermarket farkles are fused and relayed in this manner, only exception being the GPS, which I have to remember to turn off, but since its right in front of my line of sight, I have never fogotten it.
ORileys has the most convenient to use relay I have found so far. mine is an Optronics 40 amp four conductor relay, although the last one I bought from Orileys was not an Optronics brand, but functioned in the exact same manner ".
Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode