GL1800 cb radio problems - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Wink GL1800 cb radio problems

confused:A buddy of mine that I ride with all the time has a 2004 GL1800. In the last week he has had problems . This is the info he gave me:

1) A couple of weeks ago I heard loud static noise for no apparent reason. Lasted around 10-20 seconds. The loudness of the static would lower as I lowered the cb volume. This happens intermittently (but not very often) over the last week or so. Raising the squelch level did not help the problem.

2) Last weekend in our group ride people complained they could hear me only intermittently. Sometimes they could hear me. Sometimes my voice sounded like it was crackling. Seemed to occur more when my Zumo 660 MP3 was on through the AUX.

3) Today fellows I often ride with (me, the badrider being one of them ) could not here any problems at first. Then as the bike warmed up , they also could not clearly hear me. The temp was around 35 C. 90 F. or more. No matter what the combination of settings on my Zumo, with music or not the transmissions were good or terrible.

4) We passed a well known GW machanic we use, and he thought the push to talk button was dirty and sprayed silicone into it. I worked for a bit then started up again.

5) After stopping for supper it cooled down a touch, around 75 F. and every thing seemed to work great.

Does anybody have any suggestions for him?

He is also asking if he sprays a can of "electrical contact cleaner into the PTT switch while he holds it down would this be recomended?

I will pass on the suggestions.
Thanks

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES
Steve
GWTA
GWRRA
1980 CB750 1979 GL1000 1982 GL1100 2000 GL1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM

Spraying contact cleaner can't hurt, you might also check the antenna ground strap in the trunk.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the suggestions Joe, I will tell him to do just that. I will let you know the results.

Steve
GWTA
GWRRA
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Garage
I had a CB co-ax cable lead break inside the antenna base once (the little center wire inside the plastic insulator) and it behaved very much the same way. Not saying that's what your problem is, but if the ground strap doesn't pan out, check your co-ax cable connections.

GO BLUEJAYS!!!!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks Budoka, I passed this info on to my buddy. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Steve
GWTA
GWRRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode