Advice on intercom system - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Advice on intercom system

I have an 08 wing and I am looking at installing an intercom system on the bike. I am new to the wing and new to having a headset and could use your advice. My dealership wants to install a wireless scala rider team set. Is this a good move or should I go with a wired system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 PM

I think the wireless system is pretty expensive and pretty obvious why they want to sell it. I am not sure about quality comparsion. I have a cheap set that work very well for music but so far pick up a little to much wind and therefore mute out the mucic too easily when left on constantly. I am going to use a rubber windsock and try turning down the intercom volume. I don't remember the brand but they are made for a half helmet or when wearing no helmet at all. I got them at chromeworld.com for $70 apiece. The sound quality is great when using the music or intercom seperately. I have only used them twice. For headsets that fit into my open face helmets I will probably go with Edsets or J&M.

'13 Wing; DoubleDarkside,
May the good Lord Jesus bless us all!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the infomation. I am not familiar with the J&M or Edsets. I will check them out on-line.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 AM

I got the Scala headsets for my wife and I to use, and partly because they have bike to bike range. I have to say I've not been that impressed. Getting the two headsets synced is a nightmare. When I did get them working the volume was fairly low so it was hard to hear her. I've also not found their support to be that fantastic.

I'm still trying to make a go of it with the Scala headset since I don't want to let them go to waste, but given my experience if I had it to do over I'd go a different way. Mind you, the situation I was dealing with was using them on a motorcycle that had not built in intercom. Given that the Goldwing does have one built in, I would probably go with the wired headset were I to do it now. The only thing it doesn't give is bike to bike, which isn't a big deal if you're not riding with another person on a motorcycle.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

I went on-line and checked the EdSets. They seem to get great reviews and the support seems excellent. I'm feeling that the Scala might not be the wat to go.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 PM

Hmm. I had not seen these EdSets. The setup looks fairly decent. I sorta like the fact that the module has an audio jack so I could use earbuds rather than earphones if I want to.

As I said, the Cardo may not work out for me so I might have to seriously consider this for my wife and I. It's definitely more flexible than the J&M set it seems, plus it's less expensive. Had you talked to anyone that has used this setup that has some feedback on it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

There are tons of posts about headsets on the gl1800riders board. Probably have to use their search function but they are there.

'13 Wing; DoubleDarkside,
May the good Lord Jesus bless us all!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode