CB radio error - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

CB radio error

I get a CB error message and must turn it off to reset it. Does anyone no why this happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM

First time I heard of this problem. Done any wiring lately for headsets or something?

Johnny R.
1989 GL1500 - I'm pleased as punch, coast to coast!
2011 Malibu LS - Great winter wheels!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 PM

just installed cb in my 03,started bike,turned on cb and [cb error] came up on display,need help . tex1960
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM

CB Error

I got an 05 & CB error happen all the time. No one can tell what is wrong.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM

I Got My Cb Error Fixed Had Plugedin Wrong, Oops . Now If This Snow Would Only Melt.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Check and clean all the following:

1) CB antenna ground
2) AM/FM antenna ground (this is where the Audio Unit gets it's strongest ground connection)
3) CB 3-pin Hitachi-style power plug underneath the seat
4) CB 13-pin Sumitomo interface connector underneath the shelter near the right 'meter' panel.

Make sure you have as close to 1:1 match on your CB antenna, for otherwise there will be antenna currents in all the bike's wiring when you transmit and could also lead to a CB Error report. To measure this requires an appropriate SWR meter and cable adapters.

A CB Error occurs when the CB indicates it is installed, and it fails to provide a clean digital protocol serial communications packet back to the Main Audio Unit. Since the digital signals are ground-referenced, the most likely causes of the protocol failure are related to any of the several ground-points that the CB and Audio Unit utilize, or resistance through the connectors that lead between the units.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Cb radio error

I also have the error message, Brand new 2012 goldwing,Viper trike, dealer does not seem to know what is wrong???? The trouble seems intermittent, HARD TO FIND, Error message only starts in transmit mode, clears with power reset, Dealer put in a new ground system, Viper trike is a new setup, lots of fiberglass, A good ground may be a problem

Last edited by wing trike; 05-13-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: More info
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
Just checked the service manual and can't find diddly on the CB error. There must be something in the stuff (papers/installation instructions) that comes with the CB if it isn't one of the connections.

GO BLUEJAYS!!!!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Just checked the service manual and can't find diddly on the CB error. There must be something in the stuff (papers/installation instructions) that comes with the CB if it isn't one of the connections.
No mention of CB error in the service manuals or documents.

It is a direct result of a protocol hickup over the serial communication lines, which are single ended and prone to noise pickup. Power fluctuations will do this too. The procedure that results in fixing this is always cleaning the connectors (do NOT use dielectric grease, these are low-current signals) to the CB, and to make sure the ground is solid (including at the antenna brace). The CB error can be triggered by Transmit as well, so one needs a good match to the Antenna too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM

CB 13-pin Sumitomo interface connector underneath the shelter near the right 'meter' panel.
Thisa is on thr 01 to 05, in 06 and up Honda moved that plug to next to the black key panel that opens the right fairing pocket.
Most CB error messages are because of a loose connection.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode