Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valkyrie Cold Starting Procedure????

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Barry Dupler 
#1 ·
I don't what I'm doing wrong. It's not my bike because I had a brand new Valkyrie in 97 and I couldn't get it started easily either. I'm definately doing something wrong. It may be that I'm doing the carb Harley version that I've done for years and it dosen't work for this bike.

Bike
98 Valkyrie
Carbs/ not fuel injected

Routine
Gas on
Full Choke and adjust as it warms up
Twist grip twice

Results are the same as the new one I had in 97 and I never figured out how to start it easily either. Sometimes, no problem. Other times crank, crank, crank then finally starts about the time you think it's not going to. New Battery btw.

There has to be an easier method. Maybe I should'nt twist the grip twice. I've been riding for over 45 years and with carb bikes this has always been the "right" method. I know if it was fuel injected, NOT to twist the grip just hit the button.

The bike runs great after getting it to start and I would suspect the bike if it weren't for the new one I'd also had problems with.

I don't want to keep overworking the starter and maybe washing down the cylinders. There has to be a different procedure than what I'm doing.

Also do I need to remember to turn the gas off when stopping. I've not forgotten since I've owned this one but I know I will.LOL.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Blake

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never done the two twist thing on either my 1200 or 1500 Wings. The Valk should be no different other than the 6 carb set-up vs the pseudo two barrel set up on a 1500 Wing. I'd just turn the key, set the choke and hit the button. Unless the bike is being hauled for some reason, or stored for a lenthy period, I would leave the fuel switch on too. I may be way off base with this, but the twist of the throttle used to be for engines with pre-start accelerator pumps (could be the wrong description but some sort of priming procedure/mechanism) was it not?

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll do that the next time. I've been riding too long I quess and that was something standard you did with the older bikes. It's how I've started Hd's (carb) for so long I may have to tie my rt hand behind my back for awhile. LOL. Thanks again! Blake

#6 ·
i bleave that the 1500 wings ( probally valks too ) has an accelerator pump in the carb circut ( honda has had accelerator pumps on the carbs for years ) so by twisting the throttle you are feeding ( flooding ) way too much gas in that cold engine

#9 ·
I don't what I'm doing wrong. It's not my bike because I had a brand new Valkyrie in 97 and I couldn't get it started easily either. I'm definately doing something wrong. It may be that I'm doing the carb Harley version that I've done for years and it dosen't work for this bike.

Bike
98 Valkyrie
Carbs/ not fuel injected

Routine
Gas on
Full Choke and adjust as it warms up
Twist grip twice

Results are the same as the new one I had in 97 and I never figured out how to start it easily either. Sometimes, no problem. Other times crank, crank, crank then finally starts about the time you think it's not going to. New Battery btw.

There has to be an easier method. Maybe I should'nt twist the grip twice. I've been riding for over 45 years and with carb bikes this has always been the "right" method. I know if it was fuel injected, NOT to twist the grip just hit the button.

The bike runs great after getting it to start and I would suspect the bike if it weren't for the new one I'd also had problems with.

I don't want to keep overworking the starter and maybe washing down the cylinders. There has to be a different procedure than what I'm doing.

Also do I need to remember to turn the gas off when stopping. I've not forgotten since I've owned this one but I know I will.LOL.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Blake
I’ve had the same problem all winter. Couldn’t get it started. Ran the battery down. Started think it was the petcock. The choke on my 98 Valkyrie pushes down easy. But the choke isn’t engaging until you push down harder. Now it starts right up like a champ. Felt like an idiot but problem fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.