Sena freewire ? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Sena freewire ?

Question for those of you using a Freewire or considering it. How does the Wings Navigation play through the Freewire? I'm going to use a 20S headset. Now, on my Harley, I know that in order to get the Navigation, and really the whole infotainment system working with the Freewire, the Freewire needs to pair to the bike and not the phone. If you pair to the phone, you only get to use the phone and cant use the CB, Navigation, Intercom, etc.... via the Freewire.

The Wing is Bluetoothed, so how does it work. The only thing I can pair to is the phone, right? How then do I get Navigation or the CB through my headset? I know I missing something really simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 PM

I think if you google "Goldwing Memphis Chris" you will find several motovogs about how to Bluetooth your Wing, then use Freewire to synch to your Sena 20S. Chris Calenta(?) has many videos but there are 3-4 that go into great detail how to do it.

I went to my Honda dealer and they heard about Sena Freewire but had never actually done it. It is not cheap, if you want Sena 20s duel it is my understanding you will need 2 Freewire units. All together you will be over $800 for the investment.

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III
1996 HD Heritage Softail Classic
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
That's if you live in the lower 48 Mike. For us up here it's like $1500 or more depending on cross border fees and whatever our illustrious leadership has done to our Canadian buck.

GEEZER IN TRAINING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Garage
I have a Freewire set up on my '16 Wing. It works great with my Sena 10S.

The Freewire connects to your headset. The input from the bike comes from the bikes 5 pin connection - the same one you would connect to a wired headset. All of the bike's inputs (radio, CB, Nav, XM) are sent through the Freewire to your headset the same way it would sound in a wired headset. So if you are listening to radio and the Nav system has a prompt to provide, the music stops, NAv system speaks and music resumes - just like a wired headset.

I don't believe you can pair the Freewire with a phone. You would have to figure out how to pair the phone to the headset in addition to the Freewire. Since I do not have a 20S I cannot tell you how that is prioritized, but am pretty sure it is possible. I have tried it on the 10S without success, and decided it isn't really that important to me to be able to talk on my phone while riding. On my Wing I can connect my phone to the bike's system via a cable in the trunk and listen to my music on the phone. That works great for me, and I still get the nav system prompts correctly.

The Freewire is a very nice, but not perfect, Bluetooth solution. The most elegant solution would be for Honda to incorporate some technology into their products like others have done. But that may be asking too much...
HappyTrails and Special Wing like this.

2016 GL1800

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:32 PM

I have the SMH10 that allows you to pair with two Bluetooth devices. One being the phone and one being my headset. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 PM

Garage
I have the SMH10 dual headsets that will pair to each other, my phone, the SR10 (which Bluetooths the bikes audio system) and other Bluetooth headsets of co-riders. This setup works very good (I have not tried to pair with other riders) but I am interested in the new Free wire set up. I am concerned that it might not be as functional for me.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
I have the SMH10 dual headsets that will pair to each other, my phone, the SR10 (which Bluetooths the bikes audio system) and other Bluetooth headsets of co-riders. This setup works very good (I have not tried to pair with other riders) but I am interested in the new Free wire set up. I am concerned that it might not be as functional for me.
I guess that would be my next question. How many devices can the 20S Bluetooth to at the same time? It would seem that if connected to the Freewire, communications between it and the 20S would allow you to hear from devices connected to the bike (Navigation, Radio, XM, CB) because they all come through that headset cable plugged into the 20S.

But then what about the Phone? It's not part of the bike so the 20S would also need to connect to that, right? And then if your passenger has a 20S, they would either need a second Freewire to connect to or the driver's 20S would have to connect to their 20S and that's a 3rd Bluetooth connection? We have even gotten to the connections it would have to make to Bluetooth headsets of other riders in a group. Can it connect to all of that at the same time?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothya View Post
The Freewire is a very nice, but not perfect, Bluetooth solution. The most elegant solution would be for Honda to incorporate some technology into their products like others have done. But that may be asking too much...
^^ +1 very good way to put it.

I have Freewire on my gl1500 and my sentiments are very much the same. The Freewire works good with the bikes audio and bluetooth connecting to the sena 20s headset. But what doesn't happen well is that when you bluetooh your 20s to your phone to stream music you lose the connection from the freewire to the 20s. Dont like this at all. Sena says that the 20s can handle the 2 bluetooth devices at the same time which it does. But I am finding that the fine print they left out was that its an either/or scenario. You can't have both at same time. Thats a pretty huge deal imho. If I want cb and gps then I have to listen to bikes radio. While I could add a audio input jack to my phone to play mp3's that way I have to use phone controls to change tracks. Not ideal but I guess doable.

For the cost of the Freewire ($250 US) I feel it should be able to do both. Maybe that isn't realistic? I dunno. If cb is important to you and you want to cut the cord then this is a solution but its not perfected yet. When I group ride then will use the Freewire but when I'm not I'll leaving it at home on a charger. But I'd rather just leave it on the bike all the time if I could.

Last edited by HappyTrails; 05-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
I guess that would be my next question. How many devices can the 20S Bluetooth to at the same time? It would seem that if connected to the Freewire, communications between it and the 20S would allow you to hear from devices connected to the bike (Navigation, Radio, XM, CB) because they all come through that headset cable plugged into the 20S.

But then what about the Phone? It's not part of the bike so the 20S would also need to connect to that, right? And then if your passenger has a 20S, they would either need a second Freewire to connect to or the driver's 20S would have to connect to their 20S and that's a 3rd Bluetooth connection? We have even gotten to the connections it would have to make to Bluetooth headsets of other riders in a group. Can it connect to all of that at the same time?

I have the 20S headsets (2). The SM10 (not SMH10) appears to be the version prior to Freewire. I have the SM10. My 20S connects to the SM10 via Bluetooth. The SM10 is connected to the bike via hard wire adapter to the Honda adapter. When I start the SM10 I hear "media connected". I then hear phone connected. I had to pair the 20S to both the SM10 and my phone. My wife is paired to the SM10 and her phone. We talk 20S to 20S as they are also paired. I can shut the SM10 down and still talk helmet to helmet. I've only connected to other riders 1 time. We added two more but theirs were an older model of headset and the range was not good.

My Nav overrides audio but I believe that is all handled by the bike not the SENA. I mounted the SM10 in the left side pocket. I plugged it in to my 12 volt cigarette lighter socket one time but got a lot of feedback so stopped that. Never has been an issue since the battery life is much longer than I would care to ride.

Hope I didn't make it more confusing.

I'm very happy with the SENA.

Steve

Special Wing and slowrollin like this.

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Do you have an Aux input on the bike? I would try hooking the phone (for music) into that. Not sure what would happen. I have an iPod hooked to the USB connection in the trunk. I've never tried to play music through the phone though. I agree that on the Bluetooth side it is one Bluetooth overrides the other.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode