Don't have a heated seat:should I? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Don't have a heated seat:should I?

2003 GL1800 I do not have heated seats but would like one. How about I just buy a heating pad for $50-60 bucks, or buy one that you put under the seat for about the same, or get a new to me heated seat oem? Has anyone had any luck with these options?
Thanks good people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 AM

Sim, I've never had a heated seat or grips either. I've always felt if heated grips were going to help, then I need to get better gloves. Granted, I'm in Texas, but I frequently get out of state. I think the coldest I've ridden in has been 17F. Several times, I've done a long day below 30F.

We have members here that will boast about heated clothing, especially Gerbings and Tourmaster. In the past I have worn Gerbins jacket, pants and gloves, but not for a few years now. Its been the "Freeze Out" line from Cyclegear, fleece lined jeans, wool socks, etc. Layers!!! And I have been comfortable without messing with a bunch of wires.

Its really a matter of comfort and safety. If you can get that without the high-tech, great. Of course, you can spend more to get all the latest stuff, but is the amount of riding your doing at those temps worth the added cost?
Terryj likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.
Remember, women always have the last word in an argument. Anything you say after that will be the beginning of the next argument.
Randy

Last edited by bentwing02; 04-21-2017 at 01:28 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Randy is correct that some of us have heated gear. The wife and I do, we actually don't find it terribly annoying when we have to deal with the cords. I do have a fairly easy system worked out so when we go to get off it's just one plug that connects us to the bike. When it's 40 or less and you are comfy one plug isn't that big of a deal. The FreezeOut line is getting rave reviews for sure and a good option.

Now to your ideas. One thing I can think of off the top of my head is a heating pad that operates off 12 vdc. ??? I never looked for one but don't know that I've seen one either. You could always send your seat out to one of the seat manufactures to have heat installed I suppose, but I think you also may have decent luck obtaining an OEM seat w/heat in it.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

if you get one see what the return policy is so if it doesn't work for you send it back

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'99 st 1100
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
With Doc chiming in that reminded me off another option you may wish to explore @Simcoe Rider . There are several companies that make Battery Powered heated gear as well. Charge them before you ride and they have no cords.

I never opted for those because with this Ole Fossil's luck, his wife's heated gear would stop working before the ride was complete.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mine came with the heated grips and seat and I do like them for when it gets to 50 and below. If it's just a little chilly they do come in handy. But the seat needs a modification to make it heat up better as Honda has it regulated to get warm and it would be better if it got to a higher temperature. There is a simple plug in that changes it or you can add in a resister. I found that searching around but didn't do it. Would I go trying to add that? Probably not. Invest is good cold weather gear might be money better spent.

I did get a heated jacket and used it a couple times last winter. Oh man, that's the way to go. If I was retired and taking trips I would have gloves and pants also.

My 2 cents, hope that helps.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800/2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Heated seats and grips on a motorcycle ? That's ridiculous but I use mine in spite of it.

Lee, for now.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM

Garage
I installed aftermarket heated grips on a previous bike. They worked really well and only cost about $50, as I recall. I did have to find a good spot to mount the controller.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simcoe Rider View Post
2003 GL1800 I do not have heated seats but would like one. How about I just buy a heating pad for $50-60 bucks, or buy one that you put under the seat for about the same, or get a new to me heated seat oem? Has anyone had any luck with these options?
Thanks good people
So yeah I had a 2006 with navigation and came with heated grips and seats, heated grips never heated up to my liking, the heated seat hardly ever worked, sporadically on and off, I ended up selling the bike out of frustration for things that were on the motorcycle that stopped working. Glad you didn't spend the extra dollars for the extra stuff! Yeah heated gloves and heated clothing is the way to go if you're going to be riding during the winter. Even with the heated grips with gloves the back of your hands and fingertips will get pretty cold, not as cold as they did when I would had my Vulcan 900 with no hand protection, you're faring on the Goldwing G Flex a lot of wind off your hands stock.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM

I like my heated seats and grips on my 2010, it really helps for those mid 30s mornings. However, if my bike did not have them I would invest in heated cold weather gear, it would transfer over to any bike I have and IMHO would be a better investment than a heated seat. The grips though I think I would install, for me if my hands are warm I am usually warm.

Ed
2010 Gold Wing "Vader"
2010 FJR13 "Mackenzie"

GWRRA #397876
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode