Handle bar shaking at speed under 65mph - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Handle bar shaking at speed under 65mph

Hi folks again, now that I have fixed my problem with my cruise control and reverse buttons I found another problem. If I ride under 65mph, put the cruise control on and stop holding the handle bar it starts shaking badly. I also feel like the front suspension is pretty hard and let me feel all the bumps. My BMW LT was not like that. I am new to the Goldwing but I would expect the suspension of the wong to be pretty smooth, at least on par with the beamer. So now I am wondering if the shaking and the tough suspension are not related. Could it be that the front fork oil be low or something?

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled

Vieux motard que jamais

Last edited by alpac; 01-31-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok i did some research since my last post and it looks like this is a common issue with the Goldwing. Some said to replace the steering head bearings, some say to add a super brace, some others suggest to replace the oil in the fork, etc... I would be interested to know what your experience is with this issue and the fix for it you found one. I am surprised that Honda did not put a steering damper on the Goldwing. May be I wll start with chnagng the tires althiough the front one does not look bad at all. It is pretty noisy though, particularly on curves so may be it is cupped badly enough to create this wobble.
Chopin likes this.

Alain

2002 GL 1800

Vieux motard que jamais
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Just found out that my Goldwing is already equipped with the super brace

Alain

2002 GL 1800

Vieux motard que jamais

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 PM

More often than any other cause it's the front tire. And if yours makes noise in curves it's definitely suspect.
alwims likes this.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~ Will Rogers

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

The front tire looks pretty recent, still has a lot of thread and is not cupped from what I can see. From what I read a lot of Goldwing owners got the front wheel wobble fixed after replacing the steering bearings with all ball tappered bearings. If that is the solution that is probably not something I will do but ask a mechanic to do for me. I am pretty sure a steering damper would fixe the issue. My previous bike, an heavy BMW K1200LT, developped a wooble when its steering damper got worn. I bought a new one on line and replaced the old one and the wooble was completely gone. I dont understand why the Goldwing does not come with a steering damper. I am wondering if a universal steering damper could not be installed on the Goldwing. It cannot be that difficult.

Alain

2002 GL 1800

Vieux motard que jamais
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 AM

Worn steering bearings don't really create a wobble, they exacerbate it. I'd remove your front tire and take it to a good tire shop and have them inspect it and put it on a spin balancer and see what results they come up with. Maybe you threw a wheel weight since the tire was balanced/installed and it's just out of balance, y'know?

If the tire seems to be OK other than needing balancing, I'd order some CounterAct balancing beads from WingStuff or CycleMax and install them in the tire through the valve stem, after removing the air shutoff valve from the stem. It's a process of elimination. First eliminate the tire from the equation.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~ Will Rogers

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 AM

I too have a wobble in my 2005 Goldwing. It has been there ever since I have had it. I have changed the front tire several times since I have over 75K miles on the bike. I have looked at everything from the brace to the tires and it is still there. Can anyone help me out here?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 AM

The wobble that others are talking about happens at around 40mph not around 65mph. Even when I have the wobble at 40mph at highway speeds and above my wing is rock solid with my hands off the handle bars. What you are describing is not typical to the GL1800 as far as I know.
budoka likes this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
Just to add what Jinx mentioned, the "dreaded Wing wobble" is typically under deceleration at approximately 45 mph with the hands off the bars.Roll me in the dirt and call me dusty, but why on God's green Earth would you decelerate with your hands off the bars anyway?
Anyhoo, back to your issue with the head shaking at a constant speed with the cruise set, there is definitely something amiss be it balance, tire wear, both or bearings whether axle or steering head. Definitely get it looked into.

GEEZER IN TRAINING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:08 PM

I had the famous 40mph wobble on one of my wings. I replaced the suspension with a progressive, and changed the tires. Wasted my money. The wobble still happened.

Here's the absolute solution to the 40MPH problem, but not necessarily the 65MPH problem.

NEVER REMOVER BOTH HANDS FROM THE HANDLE BARS, unless you are STOPPED! Unless, of course you are texting, then it's OK, because everybody does it, and deserves what they get.

Preaching over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
wingpilot08 likes this.

Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode