New member with already few questions - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

New member with already few questions

Hi folks, I am a new member here and new to the Goldwing, I introduced myself in the "new member introduction" section there Hi from a happy new owner of a 2002 pristine GL
I am planning to do most of the maintenance and service on my new to me GL1800. I will start with replacing all the fluids (brake, clutch, coolant) as well as replacing the brake pads. I am looking for videos or guidances/instructions for doing this. Found a video on Youtube for the front brakes but did not find anything for the rear brake nor coolant replacement. Any suggestion where I can find this info? I have ordered the Clymer shop repair manual. Also anytthing you can advise me to pay particular attention to on a 2002 GL 1800? The bike looks really nice and rides really nice too and it looks like it has been very well taken care of. It only has 24kmiles which is obviously nothing for a 2002 GL. I am also planning to add a hitch to it.
Thanks a lot
Weege likes this.

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Alain, here is a link to the entire procedure. Be sure to follow it. This will ensure proper removal of air in system.

Bleeding the brakes

I'm not an 1800 guy but many of my pals are. You will most likely also want to change the clutch fluid, final drive, and there is a reservoir that is a bear to drain (someone will jump in with the description). When you get through that then you can think about tackling the Air Filter, and I do mean "tackling".

Also I moved this thread to the "General Discussion" subforum.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Alain, here is a link to the entire procedure. Be sure to follow it. This will ensure proper removal of air in system.

Bleeding the brakes

I'm not an 1800 guy but many of my pals are. You will most likely also want to change the clutch fluid, final drive, and there is a reservoir that is a bear to drain (someone will jump in with the description). When you get through that then you can think about tackling the Air Filter, and I do mean "tackling".

Also I moved this thread to the "General Discussion" subforum.
Fossil92, if you are talking about the coolant reservoir, the easiest way is to us a turkey baster or large syringe and suck out the fluid. Fill with water and repeat a few times.
Much easier than trying to remove the reservoir.
Chopin likes this.

2012 GL1800

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcihil View Post
Fossil92, if you are talking about the coolant reservoir, the easiest way is to us a turkey baster or large syringe and suck out the fluid. Fill with water and repeat a few times.
Much easier than trying to remove the reservoir.

That's the one... I can still remember "Princess" @Chopin whining about it at Maintenance Day

Chopin likes this.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Site Sponsor

You must add air wings

So maybe we are a little biased but you must add Air Wings to your Goldwing. Our adjustable wind deflectors direct or deflect air to or away from rider/co-rider giving you the most comfortable ride imaginable. Open the deflectors on a hot day to direct more air in cooling you down. Shut them to deflect the air away when it is a little more chilly or raining to deflect the wind and rain away from you keeping you warmer and dryer. You can find us online at www.bakerbuiltairwings.com But seriously congrats on your new to you Goldwing be safe and enjoy the roads!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpac View Post
Hi folks, I am a new member here and new to the Goldwing, I introduced myself in the "new member introduction" section there Hi from a happy new owner of a 2002 pristine GL
I am planning to do most of the maintenance and service on my new to me GL1800. I will start with replacing all the fluids (brake, clutch, coolant) as well as replacing the brake pads. I am looking for videos or guidances/instructions for doing this. Found a video on Youtube for the front brakes but did not find anything for the rear brake nor coolant replacement. Any suggestion where I can find this info? I have ordered the Clymer shop repair manual. Also anytthing you can advise me to pay particular attention to on a 2002 GL 1800? The bike looks really nice and rides really nice too and it looks like it has been very well taken care of. It only has 24kmiles which is obviously nothing for a 2002 GL. I am also planning to add a hitch to it.
Thanks a lot
Welcome, and given your post I would suggest you look into purchasing a set of Fred Harmon's maintenance DVD's. In my case they were money well spent. When I watch Fred do the job it really adds to my confidence and saves a lot of time.
budoka likes this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (sold)
1983 Suzuki GS850G (sold)
1982 Yamaha Vision 550 (sold)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
That's the one... I can still remember "Princess" @Chopin whining about it at Maintenance Day

What a PITA. There is no slack in the hose line and little hand room to get it all lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" Mortimer "
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Garage
As Kerry (edmkc) mentioned, Fred's videos are highly regarded. I'd also spring for a Honda or Haynes service manual to go with it, it's (Honda) is pricey but well worth the cost.

GEEZER IN TRAINING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the quick responses, love this forum already. Where can I get Fred maintenance DVD's from?

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled

Vieux motard que jamais
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpac View Post
Thanks folks for the quick responses, love this forum already. Where can I get Fred maintenance DVD's from?
Here's one place : http://wingstuff.com/shop/fred_harmon. Fred is sometimes painful to watch as he is the doer and the cameraman rolled up in one.

" Mortimer "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode