Coolant leaks - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Coolant leaks

About three weeks ago, I found a drop of antifreeze on the garage floor under my 08 Wing. Put it on the lift and started looking around. I found evidence of coolant drooling down the back of the engine. Since it is still under warranty, I took it to the dealer. They tore into it and found a hose leak under the fuel tank. Got it back after a few days and went on my merry way. I noticed the smell of hot antifreeze after sitting at a red light in traffic to be a regular occurrance. Talked to the dealer about it and they said bring it back. They also told me the hose clamps on our bikes are poor and I can probably expect more leaks.

Has anyone, or everyone, else experienced multiple coolant leaks?

2008 GL 1800
2012 NC700X
75 Norton 850 Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

I just renewed my warranty. I'm covered until 2016. $499 for some probable issues is cheap.

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/R16 car tire. Lee
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Seems to me if they knew the clamps were poor they would have replaced them or at least checked to see if you wanted to invest in the new clamps.
On the 1500's they had tape around the radiator and water pump hose fitting. This dried and cracked after time cause some to weep coolant. A pain the butt. On mine I tore it down and removed the tape, no more leaks for now anyway.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
Proud West coast sponsor of the Hoonstock 2014 Tour
IDMWT #5
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Garage
I've not heard of this clamp issue. But I have heard various mechanics say that many types of hose clamps are prone to looseness over time. Why they mentioned the clamp thing without asking if you wanted them replaced sounds fair lame to me.

GO BLUEJAYS!!!!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

They did change the clamps on the hose they replaced. I guess with several other hoses, they did not want to take apart what they did not know was leaking. I asked them to replace all the clamps when they fixed it this time. We'll see what happens. I am still unsure if this is a common problem with the 1800's. I know it is an issue with the ST1300's but I haven't heard anyone complain about the Wings.

2008 GL 1800
2012 NC700X
75 Norton 850 Commando
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 AM

When I worked on cars for a living I would recommend changing the coolant hoses and fluid along with the t-stat and rad cap at 4 years or 40K. Now they have long life antifreeze I am not sure how long these things should last but if you squeeze your hoses and they feel hard and perhaps brittle change them out. a leaking hose clamp is normally a sign of the hose reaching the end of it useful life. Sure if you put on a new clamp and tighten the crap out of it you may stop the leak but the clamp then over time cuts into the hose and will lead to major leak or complete failure of the hose while riding. personally I do not want to get sprayed down with hot coolant.

Gone But not forgotten
1979 Yamaha XS 1100
1981 Yamaha Virago 550
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
198? Nighthawk 750
1989 Yamaha Venture Royal
1999 Harley Davidson FXWG
2002 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
2004 Harley Davdison FXWGFI
2004 Harley Davdison Fatboy
2010 Honda Fury
2010 Honda St1300
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
It's news to me as I said, but I've only had my 1800 3 years. I've got a dozen or so local customers, and no problems with them so far in the 6 years I've been in the dealership. Didn't have but 10k on my ST but I have one client in town that has close to 100 k (KM) on his with no leaks so. I'll be listening and asking at GWRRA gigs though.

GO BLUEJAYS!!!!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode