Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuvi GPS

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Madrussian 
#1 ·
My garmin 2595 has quit working and am going to buy a new GPS, primarily for motorcycling. Am look at the zumo 660 and the 390. The price difference between the two is around $60. Undecided on which to purchase at this time. Any feedback from those of you who have either of these devices would be greatly appreciated. The pros and cons of each would be helpful. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have the 660 and it's worked fine for the couple years I've had it. The cradle seems to be "looser" than when installed and when I hit a bad bump it looses connection. I unlatch and then relatch the unit and it is fine. I've put a lot of miles on it and it has been a good gps.

Don't have any comparison with the other model.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, the Zumo 660 will work with the aux input on the GL1800 or even the GL1500 if your 1500 has the aux input mod... When using the aux input, GPS and MP3 can be heard either thru the speakers or headsets depending on your bike audio setting... And if you add a mic splitter cable, you can utilize the 660 for cell phone reception and placing calls if so desired... I have the Zumo 665 which is essentially a 660 with built in XM and that is how it functions...

Les

#5 ·
But if I'm using my IPOD it does not talk to me, only if it's the only thing on unless I'm doing something wrong. I also have the 660.

#6 ·
I'm glad Les could answer your question. All I have mine do is be a map. I don't want to listen to it and have an mp3 player hooked where the cd player goes.

#7 ·
Thanks fellows, I thought it would work that way but wanted to be sure. Now another question for Les or the Rusty. Do either of you do route planning with basecamp, and if so do you have any trouble importing premade routes from computer to the 660. Have been reading other forums that report some having trouble using the 660 with basecamp. Thanks.

#8 ·
I can chime in here. Basecamp sucks. I do the planning on the computer, but put the route in the GPS as a stand-alone. Use the APS and input all the waypoints in the plan. Just make sure it takes the route you want, because it may just take you the fastest way. Sometime I add a few extra waypoints, just to be sure the unit takes the route I like. Also, telling it to avoid highways, may force it to take the more-motorcycle-friendly route.

Richie

#9 ·
Hey Richie, can yoiu kind of dumb this down a bit for me?? Im not very smart when it comes to this stuff. I use my 660 when I do the Tour of Honor, and it never seems to match up to the route that I get off google maps. I just alway punch in the coordinates for each memorial stop into the garmin, and save them to my favorites. That way, when I am leaving each memorial stop, I can just go to my favorites and click on my next stop. I don't feel like I am using the 660 to its fullest capacity. So, now that I have bored you to death..... can you do a step by step on what you are talking about??

Thanks!
Darren

#10 ·
Thanks Richie, but what mapping system are you using in your computer? You say use the APS, what exactly are you talking about. If it is something on the Zumo unit, I don't have that as of yet. Still trying to decide which to buy, 660 or 390. I think there are several on the site that have the 660 or 665. Do not need 665 as am not interested in xm or sat. radio, unless the 665 allows traffic reception. If it does, I would think about that one.

#13 ·
I don't have the Garmin in front of me, but there's an APS program on the Garmin, Then you click on "trip planning" or words like that, and just start entering the waypoints.

I use the computer to plan the route, but don't use any kind of interface between the computer and the Garmin. Use any program you like, Maps.google.com, mapquest.com, etc.

Once you get all the waypoints in the Garmin, look carefully at the route it takes. You may want to add additional waypoints to convince the Garmin to take the road you like, not the fastest way.

For instance, I just came back from a trip along the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway. I had to enter a bunch of waypoints along the way to stop the Garmin from taking me back to the more direct highway.

Hope this helps.

Richie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.