Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine heat

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  823Jim 
#1 ·
As a new Goldwing owner I was surprised at the amount of engine heat that reaches the rider. I guess I thought that the bodywork and water cooling would keep more heat off me than it does. I mistakenly opened the vents, thinking that in general you open vents to reduce heat, but found that opening the vents just steers more engine heat onto my legs. My last ride was a paralell twin Triumph Thunderbird, and despite no plastic barriers between the engine and the rider I did not feel as much heat as I do on the Goldwing, and the Triumph engine was not that much smaller (1597cc vs. 1832).

#2 ·
I have found that the Baker Air Wings help a lot with the engine heat. They have an upper and lower section. In the summer, I keep the lower section closed and in the winter, I open the lower section and keep the top section closed. Even without the wings,the heat that I feel is less than my old Vulcan 750, especially in stop and go traffic.

#3 ·
What bike do you have. Those vents by your knees on the 1800 are heat vents not fresh air vents. A lot of us use Baker air deflectors to direct heat and fresh air.

#5 ·
The manual on my 08 1800 says those vents are heat vents. Personally I think they are worthless as I've never felt anything coming out of them so I just leave them closed.

#6 ·
I use the vents on my 2012 1800 in the winter. They make a very real difference in keeping my toes warm. If I forget to close them as the weather warms up, I notice it as my feet get hot and start to sweat.

#8 ·
Don't think we are all talking about the same vent. This is the vent I'm talking about, by the knees above the engine cover.

Attachments

#9 ·
A by-product of any internal combustion engine is heat. I've ridden in temps over 100*f and never found it unbearable even in full gear as long as I'm moving. In stop and go traffic yes, it gets very hot. Not as hot as some though.

#13 ·
Really? That's pretty cool. Although, now that I think about it, the sound must go from "potato potato" to just "tot tot tot tot". :D

@noslentx, there are vents for the 2018+. Typically there are "mirror wings" that deflect the most air to your core, and then upper and lower side wings that deflect heat to or away from your legs. There are also some trike and foot wings that usually sit much further forward.

Reactions: KANSASLEO
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.