Northeastern US Spring Ride - Honda Goldwing Forums
 11Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Northeastern US Spring Ride

Headed out from Fort Drum, NY about 9:00 yesterday. My plan is to visit some of my family in Upstate NY and then head to Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire to knock out some more of my map. If time permits I'll also hit Massachusetts too.

Checked the temperature on my bike when I was north of Harrisville. 42 F with a slight mist. Not great riding weather but better than a downpour. Got to Tupper Lake about 10:30 AM and visited my mother's grave for a while. Tupper Lake is a small town that was a big logging center when I was growing up. My first job was working in the woods when I graduated from high school. Progress has not been kind to this area and the town rely mostly on tourism now.

Headed out to visit my Aunt in Saranac Lake. Had a nice visit with her but had to continue on to Vermont to meet with my brother for dinner. Nice ride along the rural routes in Upstate NY. The weather cleared and sun came out. Stopped at Nancy's Diner in Malone NY for a nice Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. Really hit the spot!

Headed out on Route 11 from Malone to the northernmost reaches of Lake Champlain. The wind was gusting to 35 MPH and the water is really high. Took some photos from the wayside along the bridge.

Headed to St. Albans and got to the hotel about 4:30. Had a nice dinner and played some pool with my brother. Great day of riding, eating and visiting family. Good start for this ride.

Heading out after some breakfast. I am on a very slow Internet connection so only posting a couple of pictures.

If anyone is interested here is my Spot link: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...zR5LPSXtyFHlui

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	224841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	224849  

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Keep riding Steve, we are following along.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

PA Outback Tour Aug. 18-20 2017
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Just to finish out Day 1, while riding into Vermont along the northern part of Lake Champlain with the winds gusting to 35 MPH, I passed a large farm field with about 75 bee hives laying in the field. There were fields on both side of the road and when I was just past the bee hive field I was bombarded by several swarms of bees trying to head back to the hives. I wear a modular so I buttoned up the helmet and they were bouncing off the windshield, helmet and my jacket. Since I've experienced the excitement of having a bee fly into my clothing I was expecting the worse. I went about 100 yards and it cleared up and I avoided taking on any unwanted riders. When I stopped there were bees stuck all over in the vents. I'm thinking the strong wind made them disoriented or something.

Day 2 was a much better day with the weather nice and no winds. I headed out of Vermont on some rural roads and then spend much of the day on Route 2. I saw a nice covered bridge and tried to get a picture with my bike inside the bridge. No luck, it was a covered bridge that appeared to be used by a farmer to get his tractor to a corn field on the other side. The trail was pretty muddy and the wing did some slip sliding going down the trail (insert CT comment from Chopin here). I decided against trying to get into the covered bridge. About 5 miles down the road there was another one with a nice wayside to get pictures. Saw several along the route.

When I started getting up in the mountains I had to stop to take a picture of some great advice "brake for moose". Lots of signs on the road but I never did get to see a moose.

One of the most beautiful parts of the Maine ride was going down the coast and checking out Kennebunkport. I will certainly be returning there with the wife (probably on 4 wheels). That is a beautiful little town. I wanted to spend the night in that area but unfortunately I had received a request to make sure I was home on Wednesday so I decided to press on towards home to save some riding on Wednesday. I ended up spending the night in Nashua, NH. BTW traffic going down Route 1 in Maine was awful with a traffic light every 100 yards. I decided to cut off there and hit some more rural areas.

Day 3 was a quick ride home. I would stop every hour or so and that really made a difference. The winds were gusting 35 MPH again when I hit NY so I had to drop my speed. Took a photo in the Green Mountains in Vermont. Beautiful day and beautiful view. Got a little warm in the afternoon with temperatures in the 80's.

Had to stop and take a photo in Lee's home town.

Knocked out my 4 states and had a nice 960 mile round trip. No life threatening events and got to see some beautiful country.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	225121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	225129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	225137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	225145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	225153  

Chopin likes this.

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Last edited by Luv2fish; 05-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Now for the rest of the photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	225161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	225177  

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Last edited by Luv2fish; 05-18-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Your pictures sure have an interesting perspective.
Madrussian likes this.

Lee.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Photos all loaded upside down. Won't let me delete them so I can try again so just tilt your computer upside down to view.

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Congratulations and bottoms up
Madrussian likes this.

Lee.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 AM

Steve, if you're posting from an iPhone photo, our next door neighbor computer geek showed me how to resize the pic to get it to post upright. Easy/peasy if from iphone; be glad to share. Great pics even upside down.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
Photos all loaded upside down. Won't let me delete them so I can try again so just tilt your computer upside down to view.

You can't delete diddly using Tapatalk. You can from your desktop! Hint, hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode