Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 Adventure

20K views 203 replies 26 participants last post by  NREMTP 
#1 ·
Well, I'm about halfway into the plans for next summer's journey across this large piece of real-estate called Canada and the US. I'm leaving here on the 5th of July and heading east to Niagara Falls. Solo ride there, Cindy is flying to Toronto and meeting me at our hotel on the Saturday, 8th. Spending Sunday seeing the sites and then riding down to PA to visit Fossil, and hopefully see some of the eastern crew wherever we can fit it in. She's flying back on the 16th and I'm trekking back across the Northern States. Going to try and see as much as I can in a week; dunno if I can fit in the Beartooth or not though but it's in the want list. Have to stop in Iowa to look up some of Dad's family history and would like to roll through the Black Hills and Wyoming (Devil's Tower, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone) depending on time and such.
So far I have the eastern legs mapped and accommodations reservations made. Working on routing and stops for the return journey now. Rumor has it it's going to be a long cold winter so I don't want to get too much done too early. Might be lots of nights to sit and plan/re-plan.

#3 ·
That will be very cool. Like you said don't get in a hurry on the planning.

Devil's Tower is still in my bucket but be sure you ride the Black Hills.

Iowa; if you are a Star Trek fan you may want to visit Riverside. It's the future birthplace of James T Kirk.

#17 ·
Hey Mark, not being a Treky fan what so ever, or into the Si Fi, but Mr. Shatner was actually born in Montreal.

Daryl, when you and Cindy are in Toronto, let me know the details and I'd love to meet up with you two. I've obligated myself on a couple trips already without the dates set yet, and hope that won't be conflicted when your here.

Reactions: crownfire
#4 ·
niagra falls, step by step inch by inch
I'm going to stay with relatives in welland, on. then cross the boarder with you. don't know if I will take enough time off to ride to fossil's with you but we will met up in niagra

#5 ·
That would be great Will!
Mark, I'm looking that up now, pretty sure I can run through there on the way to Spencer. I think Jim only grew up there, wasn't he actually born on a Starship?:wink2:

#6 ·
July usually works well for me....Hopefully I can get in on one of the stops. Sounds like a great time.

#7 ·
Anybody ever been to the Brickyard/Indy? Might be passing right by it enroute...:hmmm:

#10 ·
Shouldn't be too hard to work it in. I've printed off more google maps in the last week than you can shake a stick at.

#11 ·
Have all my spots/places to stay picked for the ride to Niagara. Regina first night, Dryden Ontario next night, third night in Saulte St Marie, and then into Niagara to meet up with herself. Working on the return stops now. Trying to see/do as much as I can without overdoing it. Kinda hoping to do the Beartooth but that may be a stretch.

#14 ·
For sure. I'd get the firing squad if I didn't...:crying:

#16 ·
Well, herself has a plane ticket to Toronto and a return tag from Newark. Now all I gotta do is get to the Falls and meet her and it will be real.

Reactions: Chopin and fossil92
#18 ·
Cindy gets in likely earlier than I will, Seems to me her flight lands around 2:00. I'll be mid to late afternoon depending on the Island Ferry schedule I get on. She's taking the shuttle from the airport to Niagara. Doc said he may spin over from Motor City for the w/e too, but not confirmed yet. If you are open Sunday and it's not too much hassle to get there from your place, c'mon down and we can have lunch or somat.

Reactions: Badrider
#20 ·
More planning and figuring the last while. Figuring out what to do/see/ride while in the eastern sector. Cindy's flight got bumped an hour on the way back so she'll get home earlier and we'll get less sleep...but I figure I'll get all the sleep I need during the dirt nap so. Going to do some more on the return leg over the next few days. Not going to set any firm locations or rooms until I decide whether I want to camp some/all on the way home. That will be highly weather dependent, wet tent and bags are a PITA for sure, but I do like the outdoor thing when I'm by my self. I won't pack gear on the way down, I'll pick stuff up on the way home...my tent is pretty much toast anyway, couple of the struts are kinda busted. It works but a strong wind would likely do it in.

#22 ·
Not to hijack - but you mentioned tents and I was just looking at these "instant tents"

Here's a brief video of one being set up, it's pretty cool. I hate dealing with poles. Pop up tent
Now that thing is cool!!!!! But also looks like "You're going to take an eye out with that":grin2:

#23 ·
That is cool, but not sure how it would travel on the bike...tying it down would appear to be em, interesting given the collapsed disc shape.

#24 ·
Yeah, I have no idea whether it can be curved a bit or not to make it easier to pack. I'd like to see one though.

#25 ·
Not expensive either, Amazon has them for under $50

#27 ·
That pop-up tent would work great for me and would easily fit it my trailer. Only wish I could find a video of it being packed up. It might go like this: :budo:

Reactions: fossil92
#28 ·
Yeah, a lot of reviews seem to indicate that it's not quite as fast to fold up. Now THAT would be cool!

#29 ·
I'll likely go with just an el-cheapo Wally World or Costco model along with a sleeping mat and light seasonal temp bag. It would simply be a "crash pad" for sleeping in anyway so. Still will need a motel or two anyway to wash the necessary riding (undergarments) gear and yours truly. Cooking won't happen, be a take away or sit down joint. Be a back to my old solo days on the custom...only a "tad" more cushy LOL:smile2:

#30 ·
#31 ·
The sleeping pad is even more important. I went with a Thermarest a long time ago and it has made all the difference in actually getting some sleep while you are laying on the ground.
https://www.rei.com/b/therm-a-rest

I'm on my second one in 20 years. They roll up small and will strap on the luggage rack easy peasy.

#32 ·
Have a Therm-a-rest in the garage, but it can't come along due to space issues for when Cindy meets up with me at Niagara. You know how that "girl stuff" eats space....:wink2: I'll just pick something up when I leave PA. I'll do more searching on camping spots for my return legs over the next week or so. I don't want to limit myself to deadlines and reservations on the way back, this is a voyage of discovery and adventure. The only "must" is Great Grandpa's grave in Spencer Iowa, beyond that, I'm going "gypsy".

#33 ·
One thing I am going to do before I hit the road is do a thorough cleaning of the wheels. Haven't done that in a couple years and they're pretty grungy now. I have a Mother's Powerball and wheel soap so I'll see how that works to bring them up to snuff. I do have to check my intake runners for bug detritus as well. Other than that a blood transfusion and the Wing is good to go.

#35 ·
My antenna base flags arrived yesterday. But other than my license plate you won't know where I'm from since I'll be flying both Canada and US flags LOL. Still trying to figure out how much I can do/see on the return trip...really want to hit Yellowstone and the Beartooth so I'm working that angle hard.

#38 ·
Hmmmm, I seem to recall someone in Kalispell shouting at you something about where you were from :surprise:. He had no trouble telling. :grin2:

When will you be at the Beartooth? My brother and I are planning to be there July 25th.

#36 ·
If you're coming from the east go through Cody, Cody, Cody, might want to stop at the Buffalo Bill Museum , that could tae a few hours. From Cody head to east Yellow stone then do you Park thing and loop out through Cook City and over Bear Tooth.

#37 ·
Thanks for that Ron. I'll see what I can work in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.